We are waiting to pay Makate a “substantial amount” – Vodacom

RedViking

Nord of the South
Yet you thought it was R100k
Which, for that idea, I have to say is substantial.
There are people applying their minds in way more innovative ways earning way less for their ideas.
It is not about that. It is about the agreement between them. It doesn't matter what you feel it was worth. It must atleast be in the millions.

RedViking

Nord of the South
Do you have any proof to the contrary ? What is the driving force behind fraud and corruption ? They don't call for the love of money the root of all kinds of evil for nothing.
Are you also saying that greed is because of the previous disadvantaged? I think you need to show the proof, not me. Can't proof a bunch of rubbish.

RedViking

Nord of the South
ah, so it is just straight up hatred towards Vodacom then? Doing research in to the matter is that Mr Maketa did not invent in the service (which he is claiming he did and that is why he wants compensation), He was in the employ of Vodacom when he "supposedly" came up with the idea (which was patented by MTN at this point), he did not get credit for suggesting something he did not invent (this I agree is a dick move). Remember we are not talking about all of the other **** Vodacom is doing and how they are shafting their customers. We are talking about the claim Mr Maketa has to the invention of the please call me. So if you cannot separate that from the rest then there is no use in engaging you on the matter now is there? And like I said, this is my take on the matter and thus I asked for more views. more opinions on the matter as to try and broaden my view on the matter but your response is to do more research - which will always end at who owned the patent... :)
Go read the court case and get a better understanding on what is going on here and why he should be rewarded. Your feelings and views towards something unrelated doesn't matter. We can then just as well argue if unicorns are pink or white.

marine1

Honorary Master
Go read the court case and get a better understanding on what is going on here and why he should be rewarded. Your feelings and views towards something unrelated doesn't matter. We can then just as well argue if unicorns are pink or white.
100 percent
Got nothing to with the fact that vc is unethical and mafia

jannievanzyl

Telecoms expert
ah, so it is just straight up hatred towards Vodacom then? Doing research in to the matter is that Mr Maketa did not invent in the service (which he is claiming he did and that is why he wants compensation), He was in the employ of Vodacom when he "supposedly" came up with the idea (which was patented by MTN at this point), he did not get credit for suggesting something he did not invent (this I agree is a dick move). Remember we are not talking about all of the other **** Vodacom is doing and how they are shafting their customers. We are talking about the claim Mr Maketa has to the invention of the please call me. So if you cannot separate that from the rest then there is no use in engaging you on the matter now is there? And like I said, this is my take on the matter and thus I asked for more views. more opinions on the matter as to try and broaden my view on the matter but your response is to do more research - which will always end at who owned the patent... :)
Except, as RedViking pointed, out, the case as f-all to do with who invented it. Like RedViking said, go do some reading. The court ruling is pretty clear.

Lew Skannen

Expert Member
As far as I know, in most companies I have been employed with many years ago, you would definitely get compensation when the company implements a new idea. Compensation varied widely, from a bonus cheque of R20k, right up to R1m - depending on the idea. You, however, were never entitled in continuous profit sharing after receiving your compensation.

Things may be different with this case, and I admit I have not followed it. But, if compared to the way companies work in terms of compensating initiatives, I highly doubt he will be getting Billions of Rands. A R100k, or even a R1m bonus will be sufficient.

I am almost 100% convinced that if they go back to the court and leave this up to them to decide, a court may find the same, hence the reason his legal team has not resorted to this step as yet.

jannievanzyl

Telecoms expert
As far as I know, in most companies I have been employed with many years ago, you would definitely get compensation when the company implements a new idea. Compensation varied widely, from a bonus cheque of R20k, right up to R1m - depending on the idea. You, however, were never entitled in continuous profit sharing after receiving your compensation.

Things may be different with this case, and I admit I have not followed it. But, if compared to the way companies work in terms of compensating initiatives, I highly doubt he will be getting Billions of Rands. A R100k, or even a R1m bonus will be sufficient.
Many corporates run Ideation programmes where employees can come up with ideas and, if implemented, will get some kind of reward. Could be anything, say a smartphone or cash. Many corporates like to run a "Million Rand" programme, and Vodacom is no exception, where the 1st prize is up to a Million Rand. In fact, I've been running one in Vodacom for the last 5 years and we've paid some pretty decent prize monies out. Think of a new car or your kid's educations level of numbers. After tax as well. I've seen some really cool and very innovative ideas come through the programme.

What corporates don't normally do is to engage in profit share with employees, nor share IP. This is not a Vodacom thing, it's how all businesses operate.

Finally, one last time (he says hopefully :rolleyes:), this case has never been about who inveted what. It's all about a promise of some compensation. And the court ruled the CEO must determine what that is.

Lew Skannen

Expert Member
Many corporates run Ideation programmes where employees can come up with ideas and, if implemented, will get some kind of reward. Could be anything, say a smartphone or cash. Many corporates like to run a "Million Rand" programme, and Vodacom is no exception, where the 1st prize is up to a Million Rand. In fact, I've been running one in Vodacom for the last 5 years and we've paid some pretty decent prize monies out. Think of a new car or your kid's educations level of numbers. After tax as well. I've seen some really cool and very innovative ideas come through the programme.

What corporates don't normally do is to engage in profit share with employees, nor share IP. This is not a Vodacom thing, it's how all businesses operate.

Finally, one last time (he says hopefully :rolleyes:), this case has never been about who inveted what. It's all about a promise of some compensation. And the court ruled the CEO must determine what that is.
Hence the reason I am saying this. In the First Rand group, I have seen some employees getting rewarded once-off bonuses, some getting overseas holidays, etc., for their innovative ideas. I have seen the same in other companies too. Never have I ever heard that those employees are rewarded with profit-sharing for their ideas.

RedViking

Nord of the South
/removed. Wrong info :X3:

Whether Makate deserves a big load of cash or not, I feel no pitty towards Vodacom.

Last edited:

marine1

Honorary Master
Unrelated to this case, This is one of the reasons people hate Vodacom.

https://mybroadband.co.za/forum/threads/mtn-r128-000-bill-and-how-i-got-scammed.975021/

Whether Makate deserves a big load of cash or not, I feel no pitty towards Vodacom.
For me it was the OOB that did it.
Every month without fail I went OOB and no notifications, nearly every month had to fight with them near the end, cancelled and went to Cell C, never had to call in almost 3 years, not once.

wizardofid

Executive Member
My reply has f- all to do with court case, it is an observation made with regards to a remark made by you to another off topic reply with regards to greed and previously disadvantage. BTW me and you I don't give a damn about the court case and this whole saga, the general remark made with regards to greed does however peak my interests as it isn't that far from the truth, whether or not it applies in this case, there are some merits to justify motives as being greedy irrespective with or without a court case.

RedViking

Nord of the South
My reply has f- all to do with court case, it is an observation made with regards to a remark made by you to another off topic reply with regards to greed and previously disadvantage. BTW me and you I don't give a damn about the court case and this whole saga, the general remark made with regards to greed does however peak my interests as it isn't that far from the truth, whether or not it applies in this case, there are some merits to justify motives as being greedy irrespective with or without a court case.
Calm down the reply you are quoting isn't for you.

Screenshot_2019-01-27-11-58-35-550_com.kiwibrowser.browser.png

Also see this. I am not sure if you get your accounts mixed up, or your posts.

Screenshot_2019-01-27-12-00-47-571_com.kiwibrowser.browser~01.pngScreenshot_2019-01-27-12-00-37-962_com.kiwibrowser.browser~01.png
Screenshot_2019-01-27-12-04-22-936_com.kiwibrowser.browser~01.png

Last edited:

wizardofid

Executive Member
No I quoted the wrong post :p Regardless. Jacob Zuma was previously disadvantage can you provide any evidence that his tenure wasn't driven by greed? Calling rubbish eh ? Lol

In this case there is greed too after having to pay the lawyers for their work how much do you think he will get in the end ?

Dups!

No I quoted the wrong post :p Regardless. Jacob Zuma was previously disadvantage can you provide any evidence that his tenure wasn't driven by greed? Calling rubbish eh ? Lol

In this case there is greed too after having to pay the lawyers for their work how much do you think he will get in the end ?
Why people associate Zuma or government ministers with the rest of the so-called previously disadvantaged persons is beyond me. There are many more people who work harder and don't expect any handouts.

Stereotyping at its best... or worst .

wizardofid

Executive Member
Why people associate Zuma or government ministers with the rest of the so-called previously disadvantaged persons is beyond me. There are many more people who work harder and don't expect any handouts.

Stereotyping at its best... or worst .
The presidency is pretty much a job just like any other job, whether in the public sector or private sector is still a job, you get paid a salary ? The presidency regularly does performance reviews, and often fire under performing minister, they have a pension fund, employment laws applies to them as well, probably with some special exceptions.

Government applies affirmative action to vacancies in the public sector as well, AA at it's core is to assist previously disadvantaged people, just because he is the president doesn't mean he doesn't fall in to the category of previously disadvantaged, considering his lack of proper education, he perfectly fits the bill.

Dave

Honorary Master
It is not about that. It is about the agreement between them. It doesn't matter what you feel it was worth. It must atleast be in the millions.
Serious question, why must it?

I don’t remember seeing there being any monetary value set in court, other than being reasonable and set by the CEO.