We may finally know what causes Alzheimer's - and how to stop it

3WA

Honorary Master
https://www.newscientist.com/articl...ow-what-causes-alzheimers-and-how-to-stop-it/

Bacteria involved in gum disease and other illnesses have been found after death in the brains of people who had Alzheimer’s, but until now, it hasn’t been clear whether these bacteria caused the disease or simply got in via brain damage caused by the condition.

Multiple research teams have been investigating P. gingivalis, and have so far found that it invades and inflames brain regions affected by Alzheimer’s; that gum infections can worsen symptoms in mice genetically engineered to have Alzheimer’s; and that it can cause Alzheimer’s-like brain inflammation, neural damage, and amyloid plaques in healthy mice.

maumau

Honorary Master
Fascinating. I wonder when they'll release that oral treatment and if we should all use it as a prophylactic. Alternatively where to find Aβ1–42 whatever that is :)

garp

Executive Member
Can't remember if I read this thread or not? :unsure:
It depends, does your breath smell thanks to gingivitis? If so, probably you did.

TIL - there is a probable correlation between bad breath and losing your marbles in later life.

saor

Honorary Master
A vaccine for gum disease would be welcome – but if it also stops Alzheimer’s the impact could be enormous.
That would be cool.

Techne

Honorary Master
But what if you forget to brush your teeth? How will you know what came first? The idiocy or the Alzheimers?

Nobody Important

Executive Member
@awvince friendly PSA reminder to you buddy. Remember to brush your tits extra hard tonight. I will do so as well (brush my tits not yours that is).

maumau

Honorary Master
Netflix has a "documentary" called Root Cause claiming all sorts of diseases are linked to dental problems.

Not saying I believe the claims but if you're interested in this type of thing it's worth watching. See what you think.

MightyQuin

Not amused...
Netflix has a "documentary" called Root Cause claiming all sorts of diseases are linked to dental problems.

Not saying I believe the claims but if you're interested in this type of thing it's worth watching. See what you think.
Grabbing that right now.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Let us know what you think. Some (@ToxicBunny :)) might say it belongs in the snake oil department.

I would be open to the ideas if the people claiming them are prepared to go through proper clinical trials and peer reviewed studies..