We May Finally Understand the Moments Before the Big Bang

MirageF1

Expert Member
May, might, could, would, should ...

Just another theory which is most likely impossible and impractical to verify with absolute certainty either observationally or with the (current) limitations of technological precision at our disposal...

grok

Honorary Master
May, might, could, would, should ...

Just another theory which is most likely impossible and impractical to verify with absolute certainty either observationally or with the (current) limitations of technological precision at our disposal...
Well, unless you can come up with a time machine to take us back to the exact moments before TBB, that's what we have to work with..
And yet, scientists are able to calculate a 10 year mission to land on an astroid based on these 'theories' & 'observations' on how distant things work, so they're not doing too bad are they?

Personally, I'm starting to entertain the theory that our universe was farted out some galactic entity's butt more & more.

garp

Executive Member
But there was no such thing as time before the Big Bang. There were no "moments before it".

carstensdj

Expert Member
But there was no such thing as time before the Big Bang. There were no "moments before it".
Well... There was "something"... What that is, I don't think we can even comprehend, to be honest.

garp

Executive Member
Well... There was "something"... What that is, I don't think we can even comprehend, to be honest.
At least by some interpretations of physics, there literally wasn't. There was literally nothing, i.e. space and time didn't exist. "Nothing" is actually a very hard concept to get your head around.

Reactions: OCP

carstensdj

Expert Member
At least by some interpretations of physics, there literally wasn't. There was literally nothing, i.e. space and time didn't exist. "Nothing" is actually a very hard concept to get your head around.
I've always had a thought that goes something like this... (Going to keep it short)
Take a microbial bacteria sitting 3m under your grass, in your garden. Take what they know about our world, relevant to their size. They know NOTHING about the front garden (They're in the back in this example) and can't even comprehend life above the soil in which their world exists... Now what if the universe that we know of is purely just "soil"... Perhaps "things" extend way beyond the known universe but we just cannot comprehend it or see it...

Maybe nonsense, but an interesting thought non the less! Well, I think so anyway...

Reactions: OCP

Moosedrool

Executive Member
That's like talking about a reality separate from our universe. "Before time" is nonsensical, and since time can be stretched It's pretty understandable to consider that there is no such thing as before.

Shaun108

Executive Member
I came here expecting something different. Dissapointed...

Here, have some real Big Bang:

saturnz

Honorary Master
so something came from nothing...

Ponderer

Expert Member
I like this article because it addresses common misconceptions about the Big Bang theory.
However now people will probably ask, "so what came before cosmic inflation?"
Seeing that you like the article.
Can you perhaps explain what these common misconceptions about the Big Bang theory is?