We Need a Broadband Internet Pricing Equivalent of Nutrition Labels

Nod

Executive Member
Joined
Jul 22, 2005
Messages
9,695
Source: https://slate.com/technology/2020/12/broadband-internet-pricing-nutrition-labels.html
Consumers in the U.S. face an infuriating lack of transparency when it comes to purchasing broadband services. Bills are convoluted, featuring complex pricing schemes. Roughly 7 in 10 U.S. adults surveyed by Consumer Reports who have used a cable, internet, or phone service provider in the past two years said they experienced unexpected or hidden fees. Unsurprisingly, 96 percent of those who had experienced hidden fees found them annoying. (To the other 4 percent: Are you OK?)


We’ve been here before. In 1990, a similar crisis of consumer confidence prompted one Cabinet secretary to decry that “as consumers shop… they encounter confusion and frustration.” He said the market had become “a Tower of Babel, and consumers need to be linguists, scientists and mind readers to understand the many labels they see.” While this diagnosis could apply almost word-for-word to today’s broadband market, then-Secretary of Health and Human Services Louis W. Sullivan was talking about the grocery store. The solution then offers a ready-made formula for how the incoming Biden administration can help consumers now: add a label.

FCC link to proposed labels: https://www.fcc.gov/document/bureaus-approve-broadband-labels-proposed-consumer-advisory-cmte

988c9346-133b-478c-abc9-7ebcf9d20650.jpeg
 

Nod

Executive Member
Joined
Jul 22, 2005
Messages
9,695
Would our local providers be open to this?
 

overit

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2019
Messages
332
I like this idea. Add something about shaping, throttling expectancy, the range for that and what you will be lowered to.... Nobody is transparent about what the threshold for the AUP is.
 

overit

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2019
Messages
332
Also, whom is responsible for what part of the service! Between the fibre provider and the service provider. The blame game is getting tiresome.
 

GhostSixFour

!=Ghost64
Joined
Nov 9, 2009
Messages
14,751
Would it not be possible for MyBB to create somehting like this? Afterall, they keep collecting everyones performance? Or would that burn the hands that feeds them?
 
Top