We started mining cryptocurrency again

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
We started mining cryptocurrency again

Thanks to the gains in the Bitcoin price over the past several months, it has once again become popular to mine cryptocurrencies using graphics cards.

Like in the cryptocurrency bull run of 2017, this has contributed to a global shortage in high-end graphics hardware.

JohnStarr

Executive Member
this,

also, to generate any kind of reasonable returns, you need a data centre.
...this increase in BTC was simply an excuse for a repeat article. Until it dies and we get an article on how they stopped. And then it increases again and it goes up.
Professionals apparently continue mining through the dips.

cyb3rt

Not bad I guess. When I started mining with 6 x 1070's in 2017, they were pumping out about R3k a day. It was short lived tho as the difficulty increased. I got it just before the whole craze hit so made a good buck those first couple of weeks.

I ended up with 6 x 1070's, and 12 x 1080Ti cards running for about a year in total.

I.am.Sam

Honorary Master
So whats the cost to set up a rig

and after how long will you be seeing profits ?

Snyper564

Executive Member

Honestly dont even bother - 2017 was difficult enough, if you havent got the equipment yet or 100K plus dont bother, just buy coins and hold.

GPU second hand are almost 25-50% more than new, because new is almost non-existent.

Reactions: Jan

I.am.Sam

Honorary Master
Honestly dont even bother - 2017 was difficult enough, if you havent got the equipment yet or 100K plus dont bother, just buy coins and hold.

GPU second hand are almost 25-50% more than new, because new is almost non-existent.

i dont know about buying now

i bought when it was still in the double digits and then around 170k

now the % wont be the same as before

but yeah whats the return though if you do start up ?

hj007

Expert Member
what about if you have excess electricity generated from all those solar installation articles you've been writing about? If you have free electricity is it worth it?

Smokey mcpot

Expert Member
what about if you have excess electricity generated from all those solar installation articles you've been writing about? If you have free electricity is it worth it?
Would be nice to know.

I actually wondered if there are people in townships with illegal connections who are mining. Their profits would be way more than the regular miner paying for electricity.

Edit: please don’t come and say I’m being racist

Sensorei

Executive Member

My rig will be paid of after just over 4 months mining. But I did hunt for the best prices when I built it.

I get a daily projection of my estimated earnings based on my hashrate and the network demand. Some mining pools pay out daily, and some pay out when you have mined a minimum target amount.

My pool pays out every 0.1 Ethereum mined. It is very profitable now if you got your cards at a 'normal price' as you can see from my pic, but that could change at any time if the market crashes.

Electricity cost measured last month for the rig was R3420.

Screen Shot 2021-03-16 at 15.58.38.png

Last edited: