We subscribed to News24’s new digital subscription service - Details

Orbiter

I was waiting for the subcription option, hoping it would be around R35/month. Just to get rid of all the ads and other non-news related stuff.

Reactions: Jan

rpm

Admin
Staff member
I was waiting for the subcription option, hoping it would be around R35/month. Just to get rid of all the ads and other non-news related stuff.
The subscription service still has ads. That is an interesting decision by News24 - many subscription services offer an ad-free site.

rpm

Admin
Staff member
@beans100 The original comment - "Mybb trying to butter up News24 to become a partner content?"

I really have no idea what he means.

lexis

That is if the SABC does not go under because no one pays their licence fees..
Just saying....

All the licence fees and all the bad management decisions couldn't put humpty dumpty together again...

jackshiels

Expert Member
Comment sections will be a hoot. I remember they had to close the old ones because of how common racism was :ROFL:

Hamster

Resident Rodent
News24 made it seamless to subscribe, which is an important step to ensure you do not lose potential subscribers who click the “subscribe” button.
67DF085D-BBA1-47CA-BB30-E366B2E99FC7.gif

R13...

Honorary Master
Comment sections will be a hoot. I remember they had to close the old ones because of how common racism was :ROFL:
The pay wall will keep most trolls out and those who pay will be dealt with quickly because payment will limit the number of people on their boards. So easier to moderate

Hamster

Resident Rodent
Not a informed opinion, but I fail to see how this is a sustainable model for News24 in the long term.

I reckon those who are willing to pay for subscription are few and of an older generation. The younger generations (40 and younger) have so many other options both free and paid for. I just don't get how anybody sees a News24 subscription as worth it.

But people are weird so whatever.

rpm

Admin
Staff member
Not a informed opinion, but I fail to see how this is a sustainable model for News24 in the long term.

I reckon those who are willing to pay for subscription are few and of an older generation. The younger generations (40 and younger) have so many other options both free and paid for. I just don't get how anybody sees a News24 subscription as worth it.
An interesting question is how many people need to subscribe to make this sustainable. A few thousand will definitely be too few. I hope they provide subscriber numbers after a month or two.

jackshiels

Expert Member

But people are weird so whatever.

I would say that the older people willing to pay would be fairly numerous, plus the effect of disposable income could make it a moneyspinner for Media24. But yes, younger people won't bother. If I'm going to spend money on a subscription, it will be more reputable sources like The Economist/Business Live etc...

Hamster

Resident Rodent
I would say that the older people willing to pay would be fairly numerous, plus the effect of disposable income could make it a moneyspinner for Media24.

They're paying for Netwerk24 :p

Weird how they're all the same company but not, each with their own subscription.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
An interesting question is how many people need to subscribe to make this sustainable. A few thousand will definitely be too few. I hope they provide subscriber numbers after a month or two.

Throw in web traffic data as well.

PsyWulf

Honorary Master
The subscription service still has ads.

Hah,now the remote chance they stood to get a sub is 0

Hey guys,we're going to charge for ridiculous articles,and if you happen to be so awesome as to pay too,we'll still hit you with the scum of the internet's ads

**** n24

Danie_V

It's important that quality journalism flourishes (and especially investigative journalism in SA to help democracy survive) but as most of us cannot afford to subscribe to all services, I'd be very interested to see how this subscription service stacks up against Mail & Guardian and others. Something that helps your readers decide on the best service for them to subscribe to.

Wondering if the subscription service for News24 includes a dark mode, as the free service is very bright on my eyes.

swb

Why pay for the most subjective news publication in SA? MyBB isn't part of Media24 right?