We tested Herotel's claim that it has the best fibre prices in South Africa

Mister 46

Executive Member
I'm a very happy Herotel customer thus far. Been with them since about Nov I think and haven't had a single outage. And speed has never dropped below 90% promised. Usually running at 100-110% of linespeed.
Also, they were the only provider who bothered to roll out in our area apart from a dodgy local company, so kudos to them for actually covering the platteland.

Speedster

Honorary Master
I'm a very happy Herotel customer thus far. Been with them since about Nov I think and haven't had a single outage. And speed has never dropped below 90% promised. Usually running at 100-110% of linespeed.
Also, they were the only provider who bothered to roll out in our area apart from a dodgy local company, so kudos to them for actually covering the platteland.
They may be fantastic, still doesn't make their claims true

Drifter

Honorary Master
Where is "platteland"?

Kung Fu Porkchop

Expert Member
Same here. Only Herotel and Metrofibre decided to do the FTTH thing. Even OpenServe said they had no plans for FTTH in town, which is stupid IMO. They might not have the "best fibre prices" in SA, but the service they've been providing has been impeccable.

KleinBoontjie

Honorary Master
Happy with them, since the beginning. From Breedenet, to the transitioning into Herotel. No issues. Except once, when cable thieves mistook fiber cables for copper cables.

Herotel claims to offer the best fibre prices in South Africa, but several Internet service providers are cheaper, a MyBroadband analysis has found.

Laying claim to offering the best or cheapest fibre prices is a fraught exercise.
Jir, you seem to not like them at all. Checking your statement here and other articles from MyBB (not mentioning them once), you seem to be very biased against Herotel. What did they do to you? Or maybe it's one of the "Partners", like Afrihost, pushing here.

https://mybroadband.co.za/news/fibr...h-africa-with-prices-dropping-below-r400.html
https://mybroadband.co.za/news/fibre/443316-uncapped-fibre-showdown-100mbps-prices-compared.html

Laying claim to offering the best or cheapest fibre prices is a fraught exercise.
Establishing who offers the lowest prices in such a diverse market without overlooking anyone is a practical impossibility.
Erm, isn't many of your partner content laying these same claims?

JustAsk

Expert Member
They may be fantastic, still doesn't make their claims true
Well i would assume they talk about their main, most popular speed. So yeah, its true.
1653054611455.png

Also, Herotel fibre is in areas where most other fibre never will be, so yeah...its true again. They are a great company, taking proper internet to rural areas at good prices, no..best prices.

Just think about it...someone in fcking Lutzville, with a population of 1108, can have a 50Mbps fibre line at the best prices in SA, where many city dwellers still suffer with a 10Mbps dsl line WITH NO FIBRE OPTION.

I find it amusing that a publication that thrives on click bait, start cherry picking on other companies' claims.

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
Jir, you seem to not like them at all.
I don't have strong feelings about them one way or the other, so unsure how you draw that conclusion from a factual statement.

From hard experience, we've learned that trying to present an analysis of the cheapest fibre prices in South Africa is a fraught exercise. Basically impossible.

Every time we've tried it some small ISP you've never heard of will email and complain that they have a package R3 cheaper than the one we listed as the cheapest.

So when someone makes such a claim, I take notice because I know how much work is involved in trying to prove it :)

Grouter

Executive Member
Another happy Herotel customer here.
Here in Sedgefield the only other FNO is Octotel, and they don't come anywhere near on price.
As for support, well, just ask around town. I have clients ask me "How can I move to Herotel 'cos I'm not happy with XXX ISP on Octotel?"
Five months with Herotel and not a moment of downtime. Good support, good communication, good client dashboard, good ticket support and follow up (if you need it).
Their billing systems work and they communicate promptly. Frankly, even if they weren't the cheapest I would hesitate to move away from them now.
They could teach many other companies, not just ISP's, how to operate.

Bighit

Expert Member
Had a quick look, but if you average out the prices, they seem to be the cheapest.

PHeX

Is there a way for government to force closed access fno's to become open access? Otherwise these closed access fno's will be monopolies where they operate.

Reactions: Jan

Grouter

Executive Member
Is there a way for government to force closed access fno's to become open access? Otherwise these closed access fno's will be monopolies where they operate.
No, please! Government? Spare me.
It's the closed access business model which makes them good. No-one else to point a finger at when things break, so they sort it out quick quick. (Talking specifically of Herotel in this instance).