We tested Showmax 2.0 - minor issues, but otherwise so far so good

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
Showmax 2.0 tested

MultiChoice's upgraded Showmax offers a much-improved interface and responsive performance on par with major international streaming services.

The South African pay-TV broadcaster has partnered with US media conglomerate Comcast's NBCUniversal to create a new Showmax that runs on the same platform as Peacock, its video streaming service.

Why did they keep the old version? Why not universally update Showmax 1.0 to 2.0 or is it due to some licensing complication? I can't see how the 'new' Showmax is a test run, they actively promote its adoption.

they literally broke the old one...you had to get the new one if you wanted to watch anything...

"It will officially launch on 12 February 2024, with a new price of R89 per month"

Nicely done.
Will definitely be one of the people who crash their servers on Feb 12.

• Love
Reactions: Yuu
"It will officially launch on 12 February 2024, with a new price of R89 per month"

Nicely done.
Will definitely be one of the people who crash their servers on Feb 12.
I have already been billed R89 for Feb. So far, the app is doing what it says on the box. Waiting for Multichoice to come and cripple it somehow.

Is the new content already up? I've signed up and basically watching the Premier League only as the entertainment content is seemingly worse than Showmax 1.0

mobile only Premier League? Cast to Apple box? No? If not ... can you screen mirror it? i don't care for anything else showmax but i might do the PL

Seems seamless enough. Picked up my subscription till next year. Guess the old Showmax 50% off vouchers that came and went will be going away now.

It's basically a slightly slightly tweaked and re-skinned Peacock UX. The "live" feature on Peacock could become significant on ShowMax. Hopefully some 4K enabled content comes soon. Peacock has a dedicated 4K sub-section.

Back