We tested Standard Bank's Virtual Card system - and it was awesome

ArtyLoop

Executive Member
Erm they weren't first... I tested one of these two years ago... it was a joke but anyways, its not exactly new

justmaimane

I liked the feature, used it for Netflix and SAP Press debit orders... :)

But now i can't seem to access the Feature anymore, was is discontinued?

Last edited:

Tigah

Im sorry but I find the virtual card completely useless for main stream online commerce. for the following reasons:
1. It can't be used on NETFLIX (SA), APPLE iTUNES (SA), AMAZON, PAYPAL, ZAPPER, SNAPSCAN, CELL C _BLACK, DSTV.
2. The advertising says it can be used anywhere online. This is a lie. It can only be used on certain sites in SA.
Another thing is STANDARD BANK must choose there digital commerce product and stick to it. First it was snapscan, then Masterpass ( which is completely useless) and now virtual credit card ( also completely useless.

SykomantiS

Expert Member
I think they meant first virtual card ecosystem? The article mentions co-branded cards.

I'm more interested in the finer details and advantages of a vc. Such as why would one opt, for example, for a Takealot branded virtual card? The article is rather sparse on details.

Pho3nix

The Legend
Im sorry but I find the virtual card completely useless for main stream online commerce. for the following reasons:
1. It can't be used on NETFLIX (SA), APPLE iTUNES (SA), AMAZON, PAYPAL, ZAPPER, SNAPSCAN, CELL C _BLACK, DSTV.
2. The advertising says it can be used anywhere online. This is a lie. It can only be used on certain sites in SA.
Another thing is STANDARD BANK must choose there digital commerce product and stick to it. First it was snapscan, then Masterpass ( which is completely useless) and now virtual credit card ( also completely useless.
Pretty sure it only works for South African companies much like how VCPay worked but wouldn’t explain DSTV not working :|

Funny enough, Uber works fine for it.