We tested the new Netflix Ultra package - including its "highest quality audio" setting

rogerwe

For me this tests prove a couple of things.

The good: that MyBB staff are Apple lovers after all.

The bad;: that the MyBB staff writer and editor (if there is one) tricked us into read what started out to read like definitive professional test of the new high definition audio capabilities of the new Netflix package, but used a $&@# browser and headphones on a laptop jack.

access

Executive Member
lol

well at least this test proves that people will have no friggin clue how to get to hear the audio improvement.. lol

what people can and cant hear. hahaha. reminds me of, people cant see more than 30fps anyway! or you cant notice more than 720p anyway. guess what, there are people who can!

get a proper sound system, where you will hear sound differences

those headphones.. good quality but no "surround" so wtf. should have tried something like the pc363d which has 7.1 "surround"(or just on an actual system which this is aimed at)

those browsers, chrome doesnt even support more than 720... why would it support the new audio feature.

from netflix

Resolution
Windows computers support streaming in the following browser resolutions:

• Google Chrome up to 720p
  • Internet Explorer up to 1080p
  • Microsoft Edge up to 4K*
  • Mozilla Firefox up to 720p
  • Opera up to 720p
  • Windows 8 app up to 1080p
  • Windows 10 app up to 4K*

*Streaming in 4K requires an HDCP 2.2 compliant connection to a 60Hz 4K-capable display, Intel's 7th generation Core CPU or newer, and the latest Windows updates. Check with the manufacturer of your system to verify specifications.

Carnajo

So what then is the point of wanting a more "realistic" or "immersive" experience purely due to perceived sound, of which a lot is fake to begin with? Is the movie/episode's storyline and acting, coupled with one's own imagination, not enough? (No, wait. Better not answer that. What storyline? What acting? What imagination? :laugh:)
Oh my gosh, you are so right, what is the point? And you know what I realised, we only see a limited portion of the em spectrum and I just did some reading and you know what I learned? That a lot of the visuals are fake as well!!!! Not only that but the the people on the screen are pretending to be the characters. I'm serious, turns out Thor is just some dude called Hemmingway or something pretending to be Thor! What's the point of any of it! Now that I know this I'm selling my OLED, going to get myself a good ol refurbished 720p Panasony.

Man, these cinema nuts are just so stupid to want an immersive "cinematic experience"... hahaha.

Dolby

Honorary Master
@konfab What area are you in ?

Someone that I know has a HiFi store in Paulshof/Rivonia area and I explained the situation. We chuckled a little that you couldn't hear a difference in anything and when I explained the math / stats / textbook / theories thing, he said he's met a number of similar people and knows what to show.

Anyway - he has 4 demo rooms with different 'league' systems (similar specs though!) and he'd be more than happy to have you come around. I'll join you guys as well.

This week is out for me - but perhaps we can meet after school next week?

reactor_sa

Executive Member
The audiophile doesn't even know how to read a specsheet for an amplifier. Nor does he know the difference between an input and an output. He can't even read the back of the amplifier that says that the stuff he is referring to is an input.

Really...
Try again.
Dude, just go listen to your Dixon jukebox, no one cares about your -2c troll posts

Dolby

Honorary Master
The audiophile doesn't even know how to read a specsheet for an amplifier. Nor does he know the difference between an input and an output. He can't even read the back of the amplifier that says that the stuff he is referring to is an input
Oi.

Missed this :/

AT what point does your textbook explain how to measure and test power outputs? You're lacking even more knowledge :( I won't ridicule you though because you're young - but maybe get a better understanding of power ratings before you comment and really make yourself look like an idiot?

Of interest though - can this amplifier only do 1khz?
I'm using the same output metric as the previous?
This must a terrible amplifier!

specs.jpg

EDIT : Jokes aside, maybe stop ... You can quote your Nyquist theory as much as you like - but you're not really impressing anyone here. In fact, you're looking more and more foolish ...

Last edited:

konfab

Honorary Master
Oi.

Missed this :/

AT what point does your textbook explain how to measure and test power outputs? You're lacking even more knowledge :( I won't ridicule you though because you're young - but maybe get a better understanding of power ratings before you comment and really make yourself look like an idiot?
Why don't you tell me since you are the expert.

Of interest though - can this amplifier only do 1khz?
Tell you what, go and find a tame electrical engineer with an oscilloscope and a signal generator and put a 100khz signal through any amplifier you want. With that you can easily measure what the cutoff frequency of the system will be.

You are the one making the assertion that an audio amplifier will output a perceivable signal at 100kHz. You can prove it.

Dolby

Honorary Master
Why don't you tell me since you are the expert.
How can I tell you when you get to that part of your textbook ?! Read the Index

You are the one making the assertion that an audio amplifier will output a perceivable signal at 100kHz. You can prove it.
I'm asking for your input to learn.

If that first Pioneer listed 20hz-20khz in the specs (and you say that's the only frequency it can do) - does that mean the 2nd amplifier listing only 1khz, can only generate a single tone? How does music sound in 1 tone? And why would they do that ? #curious

EDIT : You should join the audio forum. I wanted to double check your knowledge an guys are putting 80khz signals through their amps with no issue. They actually welcome you come discuss :)

Last edited:

Dolby

Honorary Master
I know I should let this thread die ... but here's something else that is fairly interesting (legitimately) regarding frequencies about 20khz . Although there are no audio folk here and I doubt very few of you have heard Wilson Benesch, but they're an absolutely fantastic British loud speaker. Actually one of the speakers that started my little hobby.

http://wilson-benesch.com/reviews/Life_Beyond_20kHz_Blackmer_SVC_Sep-1998.pdf