We tested the Romoss Sense 8P+ vs fake power banks

falcon786

Executive Member
Came here just to ask - what's the best Power Bank that can output higher voltages - e.g. 12V?

Anyone spotted any good large power banks on offer anywhere?

(and of course - upvote for ACTUALLY testing the amount of mAh/Wh that come out of these powerbanks!)

PS - actually, we do lots of POWER monitoring stuff @rpm - send us the power banks and I'll do the test for you :)
Makro has the sense 6 20000mah for R299.00, you'd need a step up cable/convertor to run it at 12v though.

CataclysmZA

Expert Member
Came here just to ask - what's the best Power Bank that can output higher voltages - e.g. 12V?
I have a Samsung EB-P1100C 10,000mAh Battery Pack from CNA (on special for R299 right now) that supports 15W charging over Type-C. That's 12V at 1.25A. It charges a range of things including iPhones at full speed.

richjdavies

So that leads to the next question -- is there an easy way to get 12V out of a QC powerbank for devices that can't do the handshake themselves? USB-PD does some very interesting, although I'm not sure many powerbanks can do it! (i.e. the 100W 20V/5A USB-C)?
What I'm thinking is - wouldn't it be handy to have a powerbank that can run your router (during load shedding say!). I know there are the full-blown Lithium PowerBank/UPS's (I have 2 of them).

I guess we would need to build something using one of the fancy UTC2000 TI chipsets? Or is there an easier way?

@rpm - we have figured out a way to to do the test automatically on our end? Fancy doing a full test? We'll provide the rig, you provide the power banks :)

falcon786

Executive Member
So that leads to the next question -- is there an easy way to get 12V out of a QC powerbank for devices that can't do the handshake themselves? USB-PD does some very interesting, although I'm not sure many powerbanks can do it! (i.e. the 100W 20V/5A USB-C)?
What I'm thinking is - wouldn't it be handy to have a powerbank that can run your router (during load shedding say!). I know there are the full-blown Lithium PowerBank/UPS's (I have 2 of them).

I guess we would need to build something using one of the fancy UTC2000 TI chipsets? Or is there an easier way?

@rpm - we have figured out a way to to do the test automatically on our end? Fancy doing a full test? We'll provide the rig, you provide the power banks :)
Right so now you're asking the right questions we can answer them for you,3 pcs of these 5v to 12v step up cables for $8...choose direct shipping to get it within a week or 2.But yes a 20000mah or 30000mah power bank should be better than the lower capacity router backups for sever loadshedding.

ld13

Honorary Master
So that leads to the next question -- is there an easy way to get 12V out of a QC powerbank for devices that can't do the handshake themselves?
Yes, you can get that 12V out of the powerbank, but it won't be an easy task.

Makro has the sense 6 20000mah for R299.00, you'd need a step up cable/convertor to run it at 12v though.
Keep in mind the current limitation that should be present on the 5V USB port - one does not simply boost 5V to 12V and not see a drop in the current. Should be fine for lower powered devices though.

Just to make it clear, based on your last post with the booster cable - there is a difference between using a booster cable (DC-DC step-up converter) and spoofing the QC handshake to access e.g. the full 'native' 12V1.5-3A or whatever that the QC standard allows.

There are guides on how to do the latter:

falcon786

Executive Member

Keep in mind the current limitation that should be present on the 5V USB port - one does not simply boost 5V to 12V and not see a drop in the current. Should be fine for lower powered devices though.

Just to make it clear, based on your last post with the booster cable - there is a difference between using a booster cable (DC-DC step-up converter) and spoofing the QC handshake to access e.g. the full 'native' 12V1.5-3A or whatever that the QC standard allows.

Thanks,that method would probably be more efficient as the step up cable might have some losses in it while converting.

Tovad

Do read the comments as well there is an even simpler hack than using an ATtiny:

It’s easy to set a QC3 supply to 12V with just two resistors and a toggle or push button switch. Here’s how: Take a 10K Ohm and a 2.2K Ohm and solder in series across the Vbus (red) to ground(black wire). The tap between the two resistors will measure about a Volt. Solder D+ (green to this tap. Then wire the D- (white) through a N.O. switch to the same tap.
Apply adapter or power pack supply and wait 1.5 seconds to push the button. Presto, 12V @1.5! No need to hold the button, the supply stays at 12.

Works well!, some power banks don’t work with the momentary toggle and revert back to 5V, others do. Just use a normal switch and problem solved.

Incase the link does not work here is the alternative resistor divider:

Last edited: