We tested the South African Post Office – and the results were pathetic

Clazst

South African Post Office is an awful service and they stole my package from the US and even other packages as well which it haven't arrived for more than 3 months. I believe that they're not an excellent service as all. Now I don't want to order the package ever again. Decide to use private courier and will make a plan to cancel my postal address South Africa Post office and why I'm paying them and they're not taking care of the mails. Ridiculous, I haven't decide where should I get a new mailbox now? That is concern me.

rubber_otter

Expert Member
Have a parcel that is lost that I blindly had sent from China.

Luckily it was only R350 /s

Pitbull

Verboten
Strangest thing. I remember seeing something in the post office about 2 days for local mail delivery. Not that I suspected it to be true...

I added money to my mail and would have loved for it to arrive and hope would have been restored. I highly doubt it now :eek:

Praeses

Expert Member
Maybe it's just the Lyttelton Post Office that's the issue - since all the letters were sent there. Maybe to improve the test, send the letters to different postboxes?

sand_man

Honorary Master
I always thought they were super efficient? Why else would you demand a 12% wage increase unless you were super duper efficient and fully deserving of said increase?

xrapidx

Honorary Master
Yet taxes keep increases, SABC, SAPO, SAA, Eskom, etc - all the same. Anything attached to government.

Apogee

Maybe it's just the Lyttelton Post Office that's the issue - since all the letters were sent there. Maybe to improve the test, send the letters to different postboxes?
Not really.

You are welcome to try though.

Our mailing address actually had to be changed from 'Centurion' to 'Lyttelton', because none of the mail ever sent to the Centurion office reached us.

That being said, every time a relative in the US send us candy it fails to show up. :mad:

Last edited:

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Does the Post Office even still check the Red Post Boxes? Because that's where I put my letters in.

Ecco

Executive Member
Wonder if MyBB tried to contact Mark Barnes directly for comment?

BeLgaRiOn

I sent a birthday card from the Netherlands to my mom in South Africa in April. It is still on its way...

Funny thing is they sent me a card at the same time and I received it about a month later...

SirFooK'nG

Executive Member
I received a notification for a parcel in my Post Box (street one at home) on Monday 06/08/2018. The Notification was stamped at my local Post office on the 11/07/2018 ... so it took 26 days from there to get to my house (about 2km distance)....

recre8

I think the postal system in SA should be privatized ASAP with two or three companies competing in the space. Mark Barnes with all his lofty goals and promises hasn't made an inch of noticeable difference to the postal system user during his tenure. In fact, I would hazard a guess that on average delivery times has increased about 50% since he started there. I use the 17track app to keep a watch on some om my cheap chinese packages. Sadly after three months of no new tracking lines, all my packages are now displayed in red with a line that reads "Item was in transportation period for a long time still has no delivered results."
China to Johannesburg takes about 2 weeks max. Scanning it in at JHB takes another 3 months and then another 2 months to get to a post office in the Western Cape. Then you get to pay R25 to stand in a queue to collect it. Privatize the s**t out of it and don't look back.

Sidenote: My local post office has only one computer that works, barcode scanner no longer works (all manual entry), no receipt paper so all receipts are printed on Lotto paper. They also said they are running out of space with about 10 000 uncollected packages from people who they can't notify about their packages being ready for collection.

Last edited:

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Screen Shot 2018-08-08 at 10.52.47.png

Wasn't me :)

I posted one yesterday'ish and thought I could get away with just popping it in the box outside since I'd bought stamps earlier - unfortunately the door for the box was hanging open so I had to wait 15 minutes in a queue to hand it off to the teller. :mad: