We tried out Samsung's epic 8K QLED TV

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Super Moderator

Earlier this year, Samsung launched its new lineup of QLED TVs in South Africa, which was spearheaded by the unprecedented QLED Q900 model.

This 2019 QLED variant is available in a number of sizes, from 65-inch to 98-inch, and boasts a native resolution of 7,680 x 4,320 or "8K".

Spaj

Earlier this year, Samsung launched its new lineup of QLED TVs in South Africa, which was spearheaded by the unprecedented QLED Q900 model.

This 2019 QLED variant is available in a number of sizes, from 65-inch to 98-inch, and boasts a native resolution of 7,680 x 4,320 or "8K".
Another way of wrapping your head around the mind-boggling level of detail is to think of 4K or UHD video, which comprises around 8.3 billion pixels being pushed 60 times per second to your TV.
Now quadruple that figure to around 33.2 billion pixels being pushed out 60 times per second – that is 8K

Should this not be 8.3 & 33.2 million pixels? Billions would imply a resolution of 80K+

Swa

Honorary Master
Ja no thank you. That's the price of half a car.

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Super Moderator
Another way of wrapping your head around the mind-boggling level of detail is to think of 4K or UHD video, which comprises around 8.3 billion pixels being pushed 60 times per second to your TV.
Now quadruple that figure to around 33.2 billion pixels being pushed out 60 times per second – that is 8K

Should this not be 8.3 & 33.2 million pixels? Billions would imply a resolution of 80K+
Thanks, this definitely should be million, not billion. I've fixed the comparison in the article and cut off my coffee intake for the day as a self-imposed punishment.

ZuluKing

ZuluKing incoming....
LOL. 65" 8K Q950R is only R 10, 000.00 more expensive than the 65" 4K Q90R. This makes the 8K great future proof value with 4 X times as many pixels which make the 8K picture look like real life. Plus the 8K Q900 has HDMI 2.1 on port 4 of the One Connect Box so you have a 8K gaming TV or Computer Monitor and Nvida and AMD will add HDMI 2.1 to new cards next year. This Q900R 8K TV with superior anti reflection screen is light years ahead of outdated LG OLD for the same price and you can see it if you go to a showroom with both. 4K prices will fall soon and 8K will become mainstream soon.

Last edited:

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
And I knew it.... trotted out all the relevant marketing brochures for that post didn't you?

ZuluKing

And I knew it.... trotted out all the relevant marketing brochures for that post didn't you?
LOL. No not at all! I love tech and know everything about new tech that's good. Go and see the 8K TV and watch your jaw drop as you cannot see pixels.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
LOL. No not at all! I love tech and know everything about new tech that's good. Go and see the 8K TV and watch your jaw drop as you cannot see pixels.
I cannot see the pixels on my 1080p screen either... It's amazing hey.

Reactions: Swa

Dolby

Honorary Master
and know everything about new tech that's good
Whew.

I'm not really sure.

In a few posts you seem pretty confused about what you're talking about actually.

You don't really have any depth to what you're saying half the time... It's just Samsung Samsung Samsung Samsung.

Dolby

Honorary Master
Except for the 8k vs 4k difference. Isn't the LG Oled C8 a better buy?
I differ with most people on this question.

I really and truly believed that OLED blew everything away by miles. I was told that once I saw OLED, I couldn't go back to normal TV. It was a though little angels were dancing all over my retina.

The reality was far different though. It's a fantastic TV under the right conditions, watching the right material. But in most cases the difference is far more marginal than people will have you believe.

ZuluKing

Many reviewers are rating 2019 QLED blacks as better than 2019 OLD.

gamer16

Executive Member
Hmm yeah looks good, but I know Mybb cannot truthfully tell us because of monetary reasons but is it worth it? Both the money and the lack of content/

alphabyte

And here is me still watching videos on my trusty (but not rusty) VCR from time to time... :popcorn: :whistling: o_O