We tried sending a Please Call Me in 2019

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Super Moderator
We tried sending a Please Call Me in 2019

Many cellphone features have gone out of fashion, but there are perhaps none that evoke more nostalgia in South Africans than the Please Call Me.

Whether it's because of the ongoing legal battle between its "inventor" and Vodacom over the revenue from the service, or the unique uses local users found for the free SMS service - Please Call Me was a ubiquitous tool among cellphone wielders in the 2000s.

3WA

Executive Member
I've had entire conversations by sending callbacks with “Please call [message here]”

That was with my very first girlfriend too.

Urist

Expert Member
Never used it.
Me neither, always thought it was a kinda rude feature. And giving someone a missed call to give them a notification was way easier anyway.
Got a lot annoying ads trough plieskolmies.

simm_card

Expert Member
Thanks for the reminder. I just sent 5, to random people on my contact list. :p

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Me neither, always thought it was a kinda rude feature. And giving someone a missed call to give them a notification was way easier anyway.
Got a lot annoying ads trough plieskolmies.
Problem was that you couldn't send a missed call if you had 0.00 airtime.

Friend used to use them back in high school, but always per agreement rather than actually for someone to call back. Rare to run out of data/airtime nowadays, so would find it quite rude to send one nowadays.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Wow look at all the "I nevers" in here, which means you've never run out of airtime while being stuck somewhere or had someone you know have this issue. Phone calls from a cell on prepaid was expensive and sometimes you phone one person who can't help you and use up your airtime so you can't phone another.