We will abide by South African laws – Netflix

Newsfeed

MyBroadband Newsfeed
Staff member
We will abide by South African laws – Netflix

Netflix has told MyBroadband that it intends to abide by local laws and taxes in South Africa.

This comes after MultiChoice told local regulators that online players such as Netflix must be regulated the same way as traditional pay TV broadcasters.

Surv0

Executive Member
DSTV can get stuffed.... regulate Netflix, reduce the monopoly DSTV has and force them to split rights and sub to other broadcasters... if their business model doesnt float.. they must sink like the rest.

saor

Honorary Master
A Netflix spokesperson told MyBroadband that it currently operates across Europe, the Middle East, and Africa from its offices based in Amsterdam and London.
Wikipedia could've told you that.

Netflix said it intends to abide by local laws and taxes in South Africa.
“In terms of South Africa, we are continuing to grow our content investment in South Africa,” added the company.
Would've been so much nicer to have had a better interview with more details - this could've been a really interesting and relevant article. Imo you need to start pushing your weight around a bit.

maumau

Honorary Master
So what? Netflix pulls out of SA - do MC believe users will sign up with them again?

R.V

Banned
Great to hear Netflix!

I will keep my DSTV disconnected and use your services instead.

R.V

Banned
So what? Netflix pulls out of SA - do MC believe users will sign up with them again?

I think MC is planning on ensuring Netflix's costs are skyrocketing here in SA, making subscription 100x more for its clients. Next MC will approach the competition commission to ensure proper competition in the market and limiting what Netflix releases and shows in SA. MC hates competition and will use all avenues ensuring they come out on top.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
I think MC is planning on ensuring Netflix's costs are skyrocketing here in SA, making subscription 100x more for its clients. Next MC will approach the competition commission to ensure proper competition in the market and limiting what Netflix releases and shows in SA. MC hates competition and will use all avenues ensuring they come out on top.

That would possibly by MC's aim..

They won't achieve it though...

All Netflix would have to do is seperate out the subscriptions for SA and pay tax on that revenue and then MC would be completely adrift.... they'd have zero leg to stand on.

Nithan15

Expert Member
So after Netflix Is MC gonna go after Torrent sites like TPB?

adrianx

Expert Member
I remember, many moons ago, there was an article on MyBB that claimed that Netflix was to start charging in ZAR.

What ever happened to that story?

maumau

Honorary Master

If they were equally priced most people in the know would opt for Netflix over MC.

damian24

and DSTV bundling Showmax is not anti-competitive... to Netflix.

Multichoice should remember that this works both ways.

or perhaps Netflix just stops licencing content that it licences globally to Multichoice - that why Netflix is buying up so much content and producing their own.

D

Last edited:

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
and DSTV bundling Showmax is not anti-competitive... to Netflix.

Multichoice should remember that this works both ways.

or perhaps Netflix just stops licencing content that it licences globally to Multichoice - that why Netflix is buying up so much content and producing their own.

D

Which is generally what it is doing... existing licenses are being honoured.. Netflix original content is not being licensed in countries they operate in anymore...

Boerq

Stop whining Dstv! This is like crying to the teacher because another kid is smarter than you. You became rich due to a monopoly. Times are a changing, so either adapt or die. The same goes for taxing regulations globally. The internet is only coming into its own now.

PS: The only frequencies Icasa has to be worried about are the frequencies on my wifi router.