We won't be blackmailed by "greedy" SAA pilots – Government

Hanno Labuschagne

MyBroadband
Staff member
Super Moderator

The Department of Public Enterprises (DPE) has hit back at disgruntled pilots who criticised its recent flight to Brussels to pick up a batch of COVID-19 vaccines.

Grant Back, a commercial airline pilot and chairman of the South African Airways Pilots Association (SAAPA), previously called the flight a waste of money, stating that it would cost around R5 million to fly the Airbus A340-600 to and from Brussels.

“The only thing I can think of is that this is a photo opportunity or a publicity stunt,” Back said.

R13...

Honorary Master
This seems ridiculous if true. Then these pilots have had it good and seem to have also profited from the corruption. (Not corrupt jus that they got looked after instead of the state fixing the lopsidedness)
It argued that this is all being done to protect an extortionist Regulatory Agreement, which ensured that pilots who are 11% of SAA staff get a massive 65% of the salary bill, and certain strategic decisions at the airline could not be effected without their consent.

RandomGeek

Expert Member
But hey, like the article of yesterday, if it costs SAA (and therefore the taxpayer) R5 Million Rand to transport a pallet or 2 of vaccines from Belgium to Joburg...that is not justifiable

Gazg

Ummm, it's your corrupt and greedy department that got them in this state in the first place.

Moosedrool

Executive Member
I agree that it seems a bit lopsided, but taking into account the decades of experience and the training requirements, I would flipping well hope that a senior pilot earns many times more than a baggage handler or ticket seller does.

Airline Pilots are also responsible for the flight, customers and staff on board.

rietrot

Honorary Master
Any half decent pilot could probably just have gotten another job it governments around the world didn't skrewup the airline industry.

There's no good outcome here. SAA needs to die.

rietrot

Honorary Master
I asume the percentage above 11% is how much of the wage bill usually go to them. Then if it is fairly distributed it should still be 11%.

There is no way that 1 in every ten employees is a pilot. SAA where way to overstaffed with useless administrator and nonsense.

Herr der Verboten

Executive Member

The Department of Public Enterprises (DPE) has hit back at disgruntled pilots who criticised its recent flight to Brussels to pick up a batch of COVID-19 vaccines.

Grant Back, a commercial airline pilot and chairman of the South African Airways Pilots Association (SAAPA), previously called the flight a waste of money, stating that it would cost around R5 million to fly the Airbus A340-600 to and from Brussels.

“The only thing I can think of is that this is a photo opportunity or a publicity stunt,” Back said.
Greedy black pilots

Unreal

But hey, like the article of yesterday, if it costs SAA (and therefore the taxpayer) R5 Million Rand to transport a pallet or 2 of vaccines from Belgium to Joburg...that is not justifiable
I saw yesterday that those numbers looked overly inflated. But hey, we are always just pawns for other people’s agendas

RandomGeek

Expert Member
Any half decent pilot could probably just have gotten another job it governments around the world didn't skrewup the airline industry.

There's no good outcome here. SAA needs to die.
It's dead already, the powers that be just haven't realised it yet. P1ssing away your tax contributions a few billion at a time

Unreal

I saw yesterday that those numbers looked overly inflated. But hey, we are always just pawns for other people’s agendas

porchrat

Honorary Master
This seems ridiculous if true. Then these pilots have had it good and seem to have also profited from the corruption. (Not corrupt jus that they got looked after instead of the state fixing the lopsidedness)
It makes perfect sense to me that pilots are paid more than the average staff member at SAA.

By that same logic I'd expect doctors to make up a greater percentage of the salary bill at a hospitals relative to the average staff member.

They're a higher skill job with a greater level of responsibility required and therefore earn more.

Corelli

Expert Member
Maybe the SAA Pilots can honestly tell me that even if that vaccine earlier save one life or more, that it's worth it.

Lets put a value on the lives of SAA pilots =R0. Just greedy useless overpaid staff.

If you didnt know we have the highest paid with most benefits pilots in the world.

Corelli

Expert Member
Has anyone actually seen their perks?
5* Hotel accomodation
Free travel on business class (yip they frequently bumped paying customers off business class for their free flights) And oh yes there was one case where they flew 19 family members on business class - free
If a pilot gets divorced his ex wife retains all their free business class flights and so does the new wife (or gf)
The pilot makes up 12% of the staff but make up for 48% of the wage bill
They qualify for 3 months of sick leave a year (but a lot has taken upto 180 days)
There are 779 pilots and with benefits cost the airline (and the SA Tax Payer) R2 billion a year.

Pampered SAA pilots’ bizarre perks and wages cost R2bn – The Citizen

Corelli

Expert Member
So they are costing us R2 billion a year, but they complain about a plane flight that cost R5 million to fetch a vaccine to save a lot of lives.

I say lets boycot SAA even when they come back. Let them go bankrupt and they can go fly somewhere else.

I want to encourage the Drive Locally and enjoy the countryside vs flying and pay for overpaid salaries and benefits while costing the taxpayer billions campaign