Wealth gap unchanged since apartheid, study finds

Cosmik Debris

Honorary Master
SA has always been divided and it’s time we make it official. Just like has been done in many other countries. South East Africa and South West Africa (that name is available again, right?).

Separation was never acceptable before 1990 because of the communists wanting it all. Reason the homelands never got international recognition. After 1990 and the fall of communism, separation became acceptable again and Yugoslavia broke up into Bosnia, Montenegro and Slovakia. Sudan was partitioned and there are partition noises in northern Italy and Spain.

Cosmik Debris

Honorary Master
And do you see more black people than other demography in South Africa in general as well?

Denied by several forumites on the thread where I posted the graph below. Statistical excuse of growth rate the same used to deny that blacks are more numerous. Why didn't you comment there with what you just said?

apqxdgny2sl01.png

rambo919

Honorary Master
Disagree, my family as a whole was better of than in Apartheid. But we have moved backwards over the last few years.
Careful now, you are going to be accused of being a coconut spy or something....

LetsDance

When the ANC start governing in 1994, everything was more or less in perfect condtion viz SAA, Eskom , Post Office and so on. And now all of that is run into the ground. Affirmative action still going on. Hundreds of billions stolen, government captured by the Guptas. Jesus H Christ I mean (not sure what the H stands for). The ANC and the followers thereof can only blame themselves. Preaching to the choir I know.

krycor

Honorary Master
I don’t see how any other result could be expected.. going from where we were(hopeless for everyone not white or skilled and even then if not white you got max caps) to anywhere meaningful without a major change in financial model (we went the capitalistic route with unions who were inbed with politicians.. duh it wasn’t gonna work and capitalism always leads to fraud & corruption.. keeping it at bay is only done where inequality is low) or allocating funds to allow people out of hole they in.

Education I hear people scream.. yah good luck if you only focus on tertiary.. good luck with primary school too without resource changes. That’s a longer term goal.. but as shown, if you educated, given global dynamics changing post 2000s you want to bugger off.

Now blame bee, aa, unions etc but neither of those would make a difference. Zuma did his best to bleed country though into his wallet.. but yah.. tough to break out of the hellhole when you have global monetary changes at the speed happening with a majority disenfranchised left to find their own way out (if you were 24, unskilled, uneducated in 94.. tell me how the drivel of a plan people throw out will work at mass.. not that one case).

What SA needs to nation building, realistic settlement for past to close the issue politically permanently and a plan to go forward. Sacrifices will need to be made.. but good luck asking that from someone living in a shack prior and remains so.

zeb

Expert Member
When the ANC start governing in 1994, everything was more or less in perfect condtion viz SAA, Eskom , Post Office and so on. And now all of that is run into the ground. Affirmative action still going on. Hundreds of billions stolen, government captured by the Guptas. Jesus H Christ I mean (not sure what the H stands for). The ANC and the followers thereof can only blame themselves. Preaching to the choir I know.
They nationalized and divvied up the country among themselves.
It was like the Oprah Winfrey show with Nelson Mandela as Oprah - "you get a mine, you get a mine!"
It's easy to pretend Zuma is the main culprit, but the rot started under Mandela. The father of our failed nation.

Cosmik Debris

Honorary Master
I don’t see how any other result could be expected.. going from where we were(hopeless for everyone not white or skilled and even then if not white you got max caps) to anywhere meaningful without a major change in financial model (we went the capitalistic route with unions who were inbed with politicians.. duh it wasn’t gonna work and capitalism always leads to fraud & corruption.. keeping it at bay is only done where inequality is low) or allocating funds to allow people out of hole they in.

Education I hear people scream.. yah good luck if you only focus on tertiary.. good luck with primary school too without resource changes. That’s a longer term goal.. but as shown, if you educated, given global dynamics changing post 2000s you want to bugger off.

Now blame bee, aa, unions etc but neither of those would make a difference. Zuma did his best to bleed country though into his wallet.. but yah.. tough to break out of the hellhole when you have global monetary changes at the speed happening with a majority disenfranchised left to find their own way out (if you were 24, unskilled, uneducated in 94.. tell me how the drivel of a plan people throw out will work at mass.. not that one case).

What SA needs to nation building, realistic settlement for past to close the issue politically permanently and a plan to go forward. Sacrifices will need to be made.. but good luck asking that from someone living in a shack prior and remains so.

Rambling again. Your point?

Benedict A55h0le

Expert Member
going from where we were(hopeless for everyone not white or skilled and even then if not white you got max caps) to anywhere meaningful without a major change in financial model
You do realize that it was like this even before Apartheid? Of course not, your lefty brain can not compute. It must always be the fault of the whites so that you can sleep sound despite your racism.

Senor

I don't know about mercs and bms but the number of new model vehicles on the road that's battered and in crap condition and breaking down due to zero maintenance, nearly all belong to one particular group.... It's funny how when you have something that you don't deserve or worked honestly for you are incapable of maintaining or keeping it.... Law of the universe...

eg2505

Honorary Master
surprise surprise, wealth isnt given its generated, no work, no wealth,

you cant just give it to people who were subsistence farmers and expect miracles.

despite what our lefty friends think

but then again, you voted ANC, no sympathy from me.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
For the race obsessed,

More than a quarter century of democratic rule has seen the growth of a black middle class and a black business and political elite​

In the country, the richest 10% of the population own more than 85% of household wealth, while over half the population have more liabilities than assets, the report showed. That gap is higher than any other country for which sufficient data is available, the group added.

While blacks have outnumbered whites in the richest 10% of the population for about 7 years, the gap between the richest and poorest hasn’t narrowed as the decline in racial inequality has been driven almost entirely by a surge in the top black incomes rather than increased wealth for the poorest, according to World Inequality Lab data.

the obvious problem being that not enough opportunity is being created to meet the demand, add our poor education, and we sit with a dilemma in a time when more businesses are opting to automate and have valid economic reasons to do so. The state drives the socio part with some passionate comrade.

Now I need to ask why race based policies are being enhanced in the private sector? I am saying it now, BIS is not going to provide these employment numbers which are sought, hence minority businesses are being targeted to create these opportunities, somehow. The last thing we want is to displace one group with another, these lands we live on keeps on repeating its brutal history.

Anyway, I already typed a grievance in another thread which touched on these policies.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
To take this part as reported by World Inequality Lab,

While blacks have outnumbered whites in the richest 10% of the population for about 7 years, the gap between the richest and poorest hasn’t narrowed as the decline in racial inequality has been driven almost entirely by a surge in the top black incomes rather than increased wealth for the poorest, according to World Inequality Lab data.

vs

Stronger BEE laws needed

Employment and labour minister Thulas Nxesi says that government will need to introduce new regulations to speed up the rate of transformation at businesses in South Africa.

Speaking at the launch of the Commission for Employment Equity (CEE) annual report in June, Nxesi said it will take at least 50 years to see real transformation in the workplaces if the current pace of employment equity implementation in the top echelons is allowed to persist.

“The CEE report is a wake-up call to government that self-regulation by employers to achieve the objectives of EE legislation has not worked.

“We now need a more aggressive strategy including a review of legislation. The Employment Equity Bill currently in parliament is a catalyst to expedite transformation in the workplace.”

so what statistic is targeted to be addressed by EE legislation?

This ISP owner got it right, kinda,

He added it would be much more meaningful to address transformation through tax incentives.

“How about a 0.5% decrease in company tax for every 1% black shareholding? How about a tax break for the percentage of black staff employed?”

“Policies like this make sense; you incentivise with a carrot, not a whip.”

but it would require more than tax incentives. We need to bring opportunities and upskilling closer to the poor, incentivise businesses to invest in poor areas and then provide them with the securities in order to do so, and allow partial proceeds to be reinvested in those communities as long as the people who are advantaged by this are employed, employable or made accessible to new opportunities, people with disabilities being inclusive. Add the share schemes, applicable to listed enterprises, which I believe is doable, and you start to drive poverty back.

Allow the private sector to "Freely" compete against the public sector, allow competition to create opportunities... yes, beat the much hated capitalist drum and make it work hard.

There are problems here, the state would need to sell state-owned land to private people, our state is stubborn come to their properties, and businesses will become a direct contributor to basic services which won't sit well with politicians regarding politicking in the long-run.

Supervan II

Expert Member

Now how do you explain the successful POC's that grew up and were educated during the Apartheid years? You know, the doctors, lawyers, pharmacists, teachers, etc - or did they fall out of the sky???? :rolleyes:

yebocan

Honorary Master
Disagree, my family as a whole was better of than in Apartheid. But we have moved backwards over the last few years.
I agree with you ... the last few years , most/all -excluding the uber rich- have become poorer...trace it back to when Zuma and his ilk gained full control of the party ...and by extension the state....9 wasted years

sandereo

Yea.. have to agree.

They have been "running" the country for 26 years. We hear about billions being stolen, BEE etc . and still there is a wealth gap unchanged since apartheid...
Perhaps the fact that the majority reproduce like flippen rats has something to do with it...
Onnoselheid is hul sterkste kenmerk.

sandereo

Now how do you explain the successful POC's that grew up and were educated during the Apartheid years? You know, the doctors, lawyers, pharmacists, teachers, etc - or did they fall out of the sky???? :rolleyes:
I am glad you brought that up. I have been asking this question for many years.
Perhaps they bought their qualifications. Great probability, knowing what they are. We hear daily how honest the top brass is.

ConfusedR

Expert Member
The wealth gap will be unchanged when the masses keep on breeding into poverty.
When you have a population ratio of 1-to-1 then you can talk about equality but at the moment, the ratio is about 8 blacks to 1 white.