Wearing gloves doesn't help protect against coronavirus – WHO

R13...

Honorary Master
I will still wear gloves when shopping. Sterilize when leaving the shops, throw away the gloves on returning home.

Immediately thoroughly wash my hands with soap and water before touching any surfaces inside.
Seems easier to just sanitize/wash and avoid touching your face (with/out gloves). If you're just going to wash your hands anyway I don't see a difference.

noxibox

Honorary Master
So nowhere in that article do they say what you claim. It is entirely reporting on the facts available at the time.

maumau

Honorary Master
You're a little bit paranoid aren't you? Your clothes are going to be fine, unless you're rubbing against everything, unless everyone is sneezing directly on it as well. Wash your hands for 20 seconds, properly and you should be okay. Don't touch your face a lot and you should be okay, you've been doing this for however many years you've been on this planet.
I am a bit :cautious: but I'm asthmatic so high risk, also living with 4 family members ATM so trying to set a good example.

Just doing what I can but honestly if I get COVID so be it.

Lupus

Honorary Master
I am a bit :) but I'm asthmatic so high risk, also living with 4 family members ATM.

Just doing what I can but honestly if I get COVID so be it.
Technically you should've been doing things like this for your entire life, not just when this happened. I know it's harping on, but you're at risk of influenza causing issues as well. So if you've managed to survive that, you're more than likely going to survive this.

Mila

Honorary Master
saw a lady in the shops yesterday.. blue latex gloves( So much for Greta and her save the planet thingy, I guess corona now stole her youth) Touching everything, touching her face. Touching everything touching her face

I was laughing so hard the guy with the dust mask asked me what is wrong I almost lost it.

People are stupid. They deserve this.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
You're a little bit paranoid aren't you? Your clothes are going to be fine, unless you're rubbing against everything, unless everyone is sneezing directly on it as well. Wash your hands for 20 seconds, properly and you should be okay. Don't touch your face a lot and you should be okay, you've been doing this for however many years you've been on this planet.
And if someone does sneeze on your pants, just don't suck it dry.

semaphore

Honorary Master
So nowhere in that article do they say what you claim. It is entirely reporting on the facts available at the time.
"Facts" from a Chinese government, nice oxymoron there. Clearly the facts were wrong weren't they.

Archer

Honorary Master
"Facts" from a Chinese government, nice oxymoron there. Clearly the facts were wrong weren't they.
Ah I see, you'd prefer the idiot experts to use their imagination when making recommendations, just in case the information they have available is wrong

semaphore

Honorary Master

The Trutherizer

Expert Member
Sure soap works. Because the virus is coated in a layer of proteins and fats. The latter of which soap is basically designed to emulsify. That's how soap cleans our bodies of grease and dirt. And how detergent cleans dishes. Etc... All the uses of soap. So yes. Washing thoroughly with soap can dramatically slow the spread of the disease.

But a cure? Ingesting soap is of course not a great idea. No? Let alone to get it in the lungs where the virus establishes itself in the body. And even if you did. The virus is infecting the cells in the lungs. Highjacking the cells' mechanisms to create more cells to make more copies of the virus. Until all infected cells are dead the virus remains. A cure is hugely difficult. Do we have a cure for the common cold, or regular flu yet after 100s of years? No. Just ways to alleviate symptoms, and ever greater immunity to the disease. Originally the common cold would have been devastating when the first people contracted it. Curing a viral infection within the human body is HARD.

A vaccine is easier to do, but about a year of testing is needed to get something out there that will not kill more people than the virus. Preferably less than half. Easier. But not simple. Not at all. High science goes into these things. And it's not a cure. Just a preventative measure to get the body's immune system ready to deal with the actual virus. If you already have the disease, and you take a vaccine then it will not do jack sh**.

And what is a cure? By the time serious symptoms show for something like the Corona virus the lungs are already so degraded that the worst symptoms, like the inability to breath without a ventilator, will continue, along with possible bacterial and fungal infection until the lungs can naturally heal again. You don't die from the virus. You die from the damage it does to the lung tissue. You die from a lack of oxygen in most cases. Just like people don't die from HIV. They die from other infections because HIV damages the immune system. If a cure can safely kill the virus then to cure the symptoms you would still need more science than we have to quickly repair the lungs. That just doesn't exist. What? we must send a 3D printer with lung cells into the lungs to print new tissue? We don't have that. The best tissues we can print needs a large machine and complex tissues, like lung tissue, is basically still out of the question. We can grow fairly complex tissues on scaffolds, but then how to implant that tissue into the delicate lungs again? This is science fiction.

There are many ways to die. The symptoms of a Corona virus infection is just one of them. Soap in the lungs is another -_- We are not living in the Star Trek era yet. We are barely past the industrial revolution as a species. We don't have the science to cure most viral diseases.

Last edited:

ngoni615

Sure soap works. Because the virus is coated in a layer of proteins and fats. The latter of which soap is basically designed to emulsify. That's how soap cleans our bodies of grease and dirt. And how detergent cleans dishes. Etc... All the uses of soap. So yes. Washing thoroughly with soap can dramatically slow the spread of the disease.

But a cure? Ingesting soap is of course not a great idea. No? Let alone to get it in the lungs where the virus establishes itself in the body. And even if you did. The virus is infecting the cells in the lungs. Highjacking the cells' mechanisms to create more cells to make more copies of the virus. Until all infected cells are dead the virus remains. A cure is hugely difficult. Do we have a cure for the common cold, or regular flu yet after 100s of years? No. Just ways to alleviate symptoms, and ever greater immunity to the disease. Originally the common cold would have been devastating when the first people contracted it. Curing a viral infection within the human body is HARD.

A vaccine is easier to do, but about a year of testing is needed to get something out there that will not kill more people than the virus. Preferably less than half. Easier. But not simple. Not at all. High science goes into these things. And it's not a cure. Just a preventative measure to get the body's immune system ready to deal with the actual virus. If you already have the disease, and you take a vaccine then it will not do jack sh**.

And what is a cure? By the time serious symptoms show for something like the Corona virus the lungs are already so degraded that the worst symptoms, like the inability to breath without a ventilator, will continue, along with possible bacterial and fungal infection until the lungs can naturally heal again. You don't die from the virus. You die from the damage it does to the lung tissue. You die from a lack of oxygen in most cases. Just like people don't die from HIV. They die from other infections because HIV damages the immune system. If a cure can safely kill the virus then to cure the symptoms you would still need more science than we have to quickly repair the lungs. That just doesn't exist. What? we must send a 3D printer with lung cells into the lungs to print new tissue? We don't have that. The best tissues we can print needs a large machine and complex tissues, like lung tissue, is basically still out of the question. We can grow fairly complex tissues on scaffolds, but then how to implant that tissue into the delicate lungs again? This is science fiction.

There are many ways to die. The symptoms of a Corona virus infection is just one of them. Soap in the lungs is another -_- We are not living in the Star Trek era yet. We are barely past the industrial revolution as a species. We don't have the science to cure most viral diseases.
Interesting explanation. Lets say alcohol. What are the effects of alcohol on the virus? I see most are recommending hand sanitizers with atleast 70 percent alcohol. Can we not apply the same concept to the alcohol that we consume? lets say drinking whisky with around 43 percent alcohol content. Does it do anything to the virus?