Web 9 CEO apologises for sending spam marketing emails

Bradley Prior

MyBroadband Journalist
Super Moderator
Web 9 CEO apologises for sending spam marketing emails

Earlier this year, MyBroadband spoke to the CEO of Web9, a locally-produced search engine which constantly sent out spam emails to South Africans.

These emails obfuscated the sender name to impersonate well-known companies including "Google", "Facebook", "BCX" and "SARS" in an attempt to trick recipients into opening the link in the mail.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Yeah, he can still get fscked...

This is nothing other than him trying to avoid legal problems....

quovadis

Expert Member
Would be a nice test case for our ECT act. Someone lay a charge.

And to add - I'm pretty sure that impersonating an American company by spoofing the from field and then mass-spaming falls under the CAN SPAM act - that's up to $16,000 per violation. Hope he wasn't emailing anyone US based or from or to a US based server.

quovadis

Expert Member
I think its been threatened, or his lawyers have told him to stop
Well then he's had some pretty bad legal advice. You don't admit to committing a crime to gain sympathy - it won't help much. The reason why we still have to deal with these spammers is because there's no follow through in the first place.

skimread

Executive Member
“We have to build a truly great African search engine because we cannot rely 100% on American services which can be cut off at any time as Huawei found out,” he said.
Reading the article the guy talks like a scammer.

1. He got it the wrong way round. It is legal issue with Huawei. Huawei is a Chinese company not a US company.
2. Not sure where he is hosted but he uses cloudflare an American company for his website. He probably is hosted overseas not in SA as he claims.
3. His search engine is damn slow so not sure why anyone would use it. It takes almost a minute to display search results.
4.His search engine gives 8 results for a test I did vs google giving over 2 million.

Daruk

Honorary Master
“I needed the cheapest way to reach large numbers of people so I settled on email marketing.”
Then don't call it one of Africa's best search engines, rather call it one of Africa's cheapest search engine.
I'm all for a good Africa oriented search engine, but you're not going to do that alone without experience. It may appear temptingly lucrative, but it's a mammoth task that requires proper investment and execution. This was clearly an execution fail. How about seeing if you can get funding first?

If your real concern is Donald Trump, as you state on your own site, then talk to people like Tokyo Sexwale, who may (or may not) share your vision, for funding...

konfab

Honorary Master
According to Mushipe, Web9 has indexed and ranked millions of web pages and has thousands of registered advertisers, with its mission being to “download the entire Internet and replicate all of the features from Google on top of a low-cost advertising platform”.

Ambitious, but rubbish.

Screenshot 2019-06-14 at 13.03.26.png