Web Africa Capped VS Afrihost Prepaid VS Vox Fat Pipe Capped

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
I just posted this in the Web Africa Capped thread as that is/was my ISP for the past year. But in the interest of ADSL user in general I think we should compare ISPs and share out results.

Same 10mbps line, same Pace router, same AMD computer, same Windows 8.1 and Chrome software
Web Africa Capped VS Afrihost Prepaid VS Vox Fat Pipe Capped

Web Africa :

Afrihost :

Vox :

That's right - almost 13mbps on a 10mbps line. Vox is 4.2mbps FASTER than the rest.

Bona Botse

A little insight goes a long way
Vox's speedtest is obviously broken. What does your line sync at?

Bighit

Expert Member
Nice idea, but what about posting real life examples and the results? For instance, Youtube streams at x on this ISP. P2P downloads at x on this ISP etc.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Real life results ? I download in chrome and get 1.3 mb/s where as previously it was 890kb/s max. Right now I am downloading Windows 10 ISOs and this is what I get :
2015-07-29_081812.jpg

So in real life too Vox is 4.5 mbps faster on the same connection.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Some more proof of the speed Vox gives on a 10mbps line.

more.gif

The source of the Windows ISOs

2015-07-29_081813.gif

AthenianOwl

Executive Member
Real life results ? I download in chrome and get 1.3 mb/s where as previously it was 890kb/s max. Right now I am downloading Windows 10 ISOs and this is what I get :
View attachment 238990

UVsgk.jpg

On my WA Capped account :(

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
What source is yours coming from? Seems mine is being pulled from MTN.

Bedford

How's that possible on a line rate limited to 10mb?

Technically its not possible. If your router has u on 10mb, then ur download will be at the same rate. Its really as simple as that.

Please can you post ur sync rates from ur router?

Bighit

Expert Member
View attachment 238990

Reason I asked for real life is that when I do a PS4 speedtest, it shows 2.9mb on a 4mb line with one ISP, then 1.7 with another ISP, but when I download on both ISP's, it still only downloads at 174 kbps.

sybertiger

Expert Member
my vox alos been slower than normal last night

but u guys should remember every one downloads the new windows update,so some isps may take a hit,

and some may bug speedtests so it alway get linespeed (can happen)

but will see how it is tonight,hope this windows update dont break the internet again like with IOS

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Last time I checked on the Web Africa line manager it was 10240kbps. Right now I cannot seem to access the line details as I have requested an upgrade to 40mbps on the 1st. Still, only Vox manages to get 12+ mbps, the rest all do 8.5 mbps.

Bedford

Last time I checked on the Web Africa line manager it was 10240kbps. Right now I cannot seem to access the line details as I have requested an upgrade to 40mbps on the 1st. Still, only Vox manages to get 12+ mbps, the rest all do 8.5 mbps.

Log onto ur router itself and check what u syncing at there. U might also be able to see what the max u can sync at depending on ur router.

so for example, I sync at 10mbs according to my router. But according to the max sync I can still go up to 20mbs.

when I get home ill post a screenie on how it looks

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Not possible. I run a Telkom Pace in bridge mode and my Toto-Link creates the PPPoE connection. Therefore I am unable to access the Telkom Pace to see what it is syncing at.

Bedford

Not possible. I run a Telkom Pace in bridge mode and my Toto-Link creates the PPPoE connection. Therefore I am unable to access the Telkom Pace to see what it is syncing at.

Look the concept is simple. U sync at a certain amount, so that's the max u can connect at. So even if u do a bridge mode, u still limited to the amount ur router has synced at, nothing more.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
OK, so let's then say my router is synched at 13mbps, it still does not explain why I get lower speeds on Web Africa and Afrihost than on Vox.

Once I can access the "manage your line" thing on Web Africa I will report back.

whatwhat

Executive Member
Log onto ur router itself and check what u syncing at there. U might also be able to see what the max u can sync at depending on ur router.

so for example, I sync at 10mbs according to my router. But according to the max sync I can still go up to 20mbs.

when I get home ill post a screenie on how it looks

Max speed has affect on your sync speed, that is just what the router thinks will be a stable connection based on your current SnR rates.

If you are on a 10MB line, you are getting 10MB speeds. Also, your ISP can cap your account at a certain speed too, some harder than others.

When I got my 20MB ADSL years ago, Telkom allowed me to download at up 15MB rate on their 10MB uncapped account. The Afrihost uncapped account at the time maxed out at 9MB, and WebAfrica at 10MB. It tells me that at the time AH were already throttling their accounts slower than what they were sold at, since people are just told that ADSL has overhead and you'll never see full speed.

Rouxenator seems to be on a 15MB ADSL sync profile based on what his Vox test shows.

Bedford

OK, so let's then say my router is synched at 13mbps, it still does not explain why I get lower speeds on Web Africa and Afrihost than on Vox.

Once I can access the "manage your line" thing on Web Africa I will report back.

Those are 2 separate issues, we were determining the amount u were syncing at. Ur WA/AH download speeds are a completely different kettle of fish.

Remember what u sync at and what u can download through ur ISP are 2 separate entities. Having ur line sync at 20mb means u can download at a MAX of 2mb/s. Then when u go through an ISP depending on there network u will be limited to what download speed they can offer u, BUT not exceeding what ur modem has synced at.

Hope that explanation helps.

****damncap @whatwhat beat me to it lol

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Agreed, you cannot download faster than what your line is synched at. So if I get 12.9 mbps that means my line is synched at least at that speed or higher. It could well be because of the pending upgrade to 40mbps that this is happening. Once I regain access to the line management feature on Web Africa I will confirm the line speed.

What is interesting is that on the same line, regardless of synchronisation speed, Vox offers a faster connection.