Web Africa - Poor service, terrible fault resolution

EnchanterG

Expert Member
I have been a happy customer of Web Africa for about 3 years now. In all that time I have had no reason to complain about them. Sadly, in the past 6 months there has been a noticeable decline in the level of their service and the quality of their connection.

On April the 3rd my internet connection was gone. Until that point I had lost connectivity for about a week every 2 or 3 months. Generally plausible explanations such as copper cable theft and exchange vandalism usually covered those events.

When I contacted Web Africa to inform them of my lost connectivity a pre-recorded message explained that Internet Solutions had not allocated enough ports to Web Africa and that some people where experiencing some connection issues. My support adviser, when I finally reached him after holding for 15 minutes, simply said that the problem lay with Eskom. I should test the issue by using a different modem, because 'mechanical things break."

I was a bit perplexed by this abrupt explanation, but asked that a fault be logged with Telkom nonetheless. Unfortunately, I did not have a router to test with, so I toted my 'broken' modem along to a family lunch and plugged the thing into the internet connection there, where upon I had a solid internet connection.

Having discarded the 'broken modem' theory I contacted Telkom myself later that day. A helpful technician had me connect via my modem, on my home line, to the Telkom Guest account. I had blazing fast speeds and perfect connectivity for a solid hour (until then my connection dropped every 2 or 3 minutes).

I assumed, as a result of this information that the problem existed on Web Africa's side. When I called them back that evening, I was told that yes, there really weren't enough ports or connections available and that the problem wouldn't be sorted out till the following Tuesday.

It is now the 15th of April. I still do not have a stable internet connection. Of course, Telkom has found itself to blame for this, but those poor harassed technicians have been out to the exchange three times. Each time no fault is logged on their side.

When I contacted Web Africa and asked to speak to a manager regarding this terrible fault resolution, I was told to wait an hour, because 'the managers were busy'. I find this laughable. It has come to the point now where I am convinced that Web Africa is deliberately giving me the worst service they can and working as slowly as they can to resolve my problem, because I have since cancelled my debit order with them.
I fully believe that they are stretching out the repair on my line as long as possible, so that come the 1st I am no longer their problem and I can solve my own damn issues.

I have a theory that the problem does not lie with Telkom at all. Based on the fact that I get stable connections on Sunday, but lose connectivity on Mondays until 21:00 (and this cycle repeats itself every 2 days or so) , I think that Web Africa just doesn't have enough connections available for its clients and is kicking off lower tier users to make space for the big spenders.
I could be wrong, of course, but Web Africa clearly thinks I'm too stupid to bother taking the time to explain what my problem is to me.

I hope this story dissuades anybody who reads it from ever giving their money to Web Africa. I am shocked and disgusted by their lack of service and horrible attitude towards clients. I suspect that even if a representative of Web Africa did read this, nothing would be done about it.

Web Africa might be the only 'independent' ISP left in South Africa, but it is certainly also the worst.

Last edited:

kianm

Honorary Master
Sometimes being with Telkom directly let's you deal with only one operator's BS. Unfortunately telkom might not have the package you are looking for. Gone are the days when service meant something

WebAfrica Helper

Web Africa representative
I have been a happy customer of Web Africa for about 3 years now. In all that time I have had no reason to complain about them. Sadly, in the past 6 months there has been a noticeable decline in the level of their service and the quality of their connection.

On April the 3rd my internet connection was gone. Until that point I had lost connectivity for about a week every 2 or 3 months. Generally plausible explanations such as copper cable theft and exchange vandalism usually covered those events.

When I contacted Web Africa to inform them of my lost connectivity a pre-recorded message explained that Internet Solutions had not allocated enough ports to Web Africa and that some people where experiencing some connection issues. My support adviser, when I finally reached him after holding for 15 minutes, simply said that the problem lay with Eskom. I should test the issue by using a different modem, because 'mechanical things break."

I was a bit perplexed by this abrupt explanation, but asked that a fault be logged with Telkom nonetheless. Unfortunately, I did not have a router to test with, so I toted my 'broken' modem along to a family lunch and plugged the thing into the internet connection there, where upon I had a solid internet connection.

Having discarded the 'broken modem' theory I contacted Telkom myself later that day. A helpful technician had me connect via my modem, on my home line, to the Telkom Guest account. I had blazing fast speeds and perfect connectivity for a solid hour (until then my connection dropped every 2 or 3 minutes).

I assumed, as a result of this information that the problem existed on Web Africa's side. When I called them back that evening, I was told that yes, there really weren't enough ports or connections available and that the problem wouldn't be sorted out till the following Tuesday.

It is now the 15th of April. I still do not have a stable internet connection. Of course, Telkom has found itself to blame for this, but those poor harassed technicians have been out to the exchange three times. Each time no fault is logged on their side.

When I contacted Web Africa and asked to speak to a manager regarding this terrible fault resolution, I was told to wait an hour, because 'the managers were busy'. I find this laughable. It has come to the point now where I am convinced that Web Africa is deliberately giving me the worst service they can and working as slowly as they can to resolve my problem, because I have since cancelled my debit order with them.
I fully believe that they are stretching out the repair on my line as long as possible, so that come the 1st I am no longer their problem and I can solve my own damn issues.

I have a theory that the problem does not lie with Telkom at all. Based on the fact that I get stable connections on Sunday, but lose connectivity on Mondays until 21:00 (and this cycle repeats itself every 2 days or so) , I think that Web Africa just doesn't have enough connections available for its clients and is kicking off lower tier users to make space for the big spenders.
I could be wrong, of course, but Web Africa clearly thinks I'm too stupid to bother taking the time to explain what my problem is to me.

I hope this story dissuades anybody who reads it from ever giving their money to Web Africa. I am shocked and disgusted by their lack of service and horrible attitude towards clients. I suspect that even if a representative of Web Africa did read this, nothing would be done about it.

Web Africa might be the only 'independent' ISP left in South Africa, but it is certainly also the worst.

Hi EnchanterG,

I need to apologise for the way our team has handled your issue and you have every right to be angry with us. It should never gone this far and we should have provided you with constant feedback.

I am going to take this up with our team but need your account details first. Please PM me these details and I will take it from there.

EnchanterG

Expert Member
It has been 2 days and I'm getting my shoddy connectivity again. Go ahead and tell me how it's Telkom. Or my line. It's you, WebAfrica. It's your hideous port management or lack of ports. Or maybe you are just doing a social study.

Either way, I have not heard back from your support people. What a gigantic surprise.

antoinevg

Not just you mate, been trying to get satisfaction from their support department for the last six months.

As I type this I'm getting less than 128Kbps on a 4Mbps uncapped business pro account.

I've notified them of my cancellation at the beginning of April and will be switching ISP's at the end of this month.

Sgt.Romeo9

Yeah biggest question though is who do you switch to. The one is worse than the other. I'm currently with Cybersmart and oh my word there DSL speeds and connectivity is a joke with some ports just being inaccessible end of story, you wanna browse great cause you not doing anything else trust me. Mweb's throttling kicks in so quickly it will leave you asking are they being serious right now, no jokes I switched over downloaded 3 Gigs and was throttled for a month and a half. With Afrihost my speeds and connectivity was good and the throttling was basically non-existent but there eagerness for money was a bit too much for me. The 3rd time they over charged me and took too much money off my account I said enough. Sure they say you won't pay for the next month or three depending on how much money they took but it stuffs up your budgeting for the month. Was looking to try Web Africa next but with all the un-happy clients I'm now seeing on MyBB I'm second guessing that decision. Also from what I've heard Open Web is just an absolute no go like don't even ponder that decision for a split second longer. So now I ask the question who do you switch to?

EnchanterG

Expert Member
You're right, it's not as if service is a vital consideration of any service provider in the country.
That's kind of ironic, isn't it?

Fortunately, the fault is finally rectified. Telkom came to my home on a Sunday no less and spent 2 hours finding the problem and fixing it. I was very impressed with my technician.

Clearly I was mistaken in thinking that the problem lay in WebAfrica's allocation of ports. Nevertheless I still don't recommend them. This line was supposed to be managed by them, and taking almost 3 weeks to get Telkom out to my house to investigate a fault is just not acceptable.

I did speak to a manager eventually, and he was very pleasant and helpful, but I will still be leaving WebAfrica at the end of the month.

So ends that particular story. ☺

Gatsby

Yeah biggest question though is who do you switch to. The one is worse than the other. I'm currently with Cybersmart and oh my word there DSL speeds and connectivity is a joke with some ports just being inaccessible end of story, you wanna browse great cause you not doing anything else trust me. Mweb's throttling kicks in so quickly it will leave you asking are they being serious right now, no jokes I switched over downloaded 3 Gigs and was throttled for a month and a half. With Afrihost my speeds and connectivity was good and the throttling was basically non-existent but there eagerness for money was a bit too much for me. The 3rd time they over charged me and took too much money off my account I said enough. Sure they say you won't pay for the next month or three depending on how much money they took but it stuffs up your budgeting for the month. Was looking to try Web Africa next but with all the un-happy clients I'm now seeing on MyBB I'm second guessing that decision. Also from what I've heard Open Web is just an absolute no go like don't even ponder that decision for a split second longer. So now I ask the question who do you switch to?

Crystal Web without a doubt, been with them for more than a year. Can honestly say they have the best customer service (24 hour support aswell) of any ISP. I too have been a victim of WA incompetence among others.