Web Africa Telkom LTE (FIXED) R899 - 150GB FUP - 10Mbps Speed

RedViking

Nord of the South
Is this a good deal?

1. I am currently paying almost R650 for ADSL (220 Telkom + 420 Axxess) for less than 4Mbps line and use about 120-150GB a month. But my line is mostly consistent for 95% of the time.

2. Will the Telkom Fixed LTE be reliable? (from your experience)I know it will also depend on my reception etc.

. I just want to use it till Fibre is available and hopefully possible to install. (They have dug up the pavements a while ago, but I am in a complex..... )

3. Does Torrents/P2P work on Telkom Fixed LTE ?

4. What is the best way to cancel my Telkom ADSL line? The old online portal? How long can I expect to wait before they stop taking my money?

5. Is there a small antenna I can use to improve reception for Fixed LTE?

Other LTE-A is not an option where I stay. Rain is not available. CellC avoid like a plague. MTN & Vodacom is $$$$$.

1565295940249.png

This is a comment they made on Fixed LTE.
1565297311909.png

Last edited:

iMcJaz

I’ve got the 70GB + 50GB from WebAfrica on Telkom LTE-A and I’ve had it for about 2 weeks.
So far, seems fine during the day. (20/5 Mbps)
Not so fine during evening hours when I was streaming. Things started going horribly wrong. +-1 Mbps. Reboots did not help.

That’s my experience so far. I’m in Randburg and we have LTE-A.

RedViking

Nord of the South
I’ve got the 70GB + 50GB from WebAfrica on Telkom LTE-A and I’ve had it for about 2 weeks.
So far, seems fine during the day. (20/5 Mbps)
Not so fine during evening hours when I was streaming. Things started going horribly wrong. +-1 Mbps. Reboots did not help.

That’s my experience so far. I’m in Randburg and we have LTE-A.
Although I think this deal I'm listing is LTE and not LTE-A?

Edit: Nevermind. Looks like it is Fixed LTE? Wish they would just use the correct abbreviation consistently.

This is what confuses me:
1565298655816.png

So is this now LTE or is it Fixed LTE , LTE-A?

Last edited:

RedViking

Nord of the South
@WebAfrica Helper is this Fixed LTE and will only work in spots where there is Fixed LTE reception?

Can I still use P2P/Torrents without throttling (First 150GB) ?

Will I experience bad download and upload speeds during peak times?

Thanks!

RedViking

Nord of the South
Where can I get MTN Fixed LTE prices? Website just say "Please contact your nearest MTN Store to order."

cavedog

Honorary Master
Okay just a few things. When it comes to Telkom FIXED LTE and LTE-A is actually just a term used for using a router at home vs a mobile device there is not actual difference in the technology or simcard compared to other deals.

LTE-A is basically just LTE with carrier aggregation. They all fall under LTE and should not matter on the R899 per month uncapped account when you look at the speed limitation. The B525 is a LTE-A capable router and you are likely to see 4G+ which is LTE-A when using with your R899 uncapped simcard.

p2p and torrent should not be limited but I stand to be corrected. They are likely treated the same as normal traffic within your thresholds limits.

Well LTE is very reliable if you have decent signal and if the tower is not congested. If the tower is congested then the signal will not matter. Telkom runs LTE on 3 different frequencies which you can switch around if you experience speed issues.

As for MTN Fixed LTE I believe Supersonic does fixed LTE for MTN so you can contact Supersonic for their pricing on fixed LTE.

RedViking

Nord of the South
Okay just a few things. When it comes to Telkom FIXED LTE and LTE-A is actually just a term used for using a router at home vs a mobile device there is not actual difference in the technology or simcard compared to other deals.

LTE-A is basically just LTE with carrier aggregation. They all fall under LTE and should not matter on the R899 per month uncapped account when you look at the speed limitation. The B525 is a LTE-A capable router and you are likely to see 4G+ which is LTE-A when using with your R899 uncapped simcard.

p2p and torrent should not be limited but I stand to be corrected. They are likely treated the same as normal traffic within your thresholds limits.

Well LTE is very reliable if you have decent signal and if the tower is not congested. If the tower is congested then the signal will not matter. Telkom runs LTE on 3 different frequencies which you can switch around if you experience speed issues.

As for MTN Fixed LTE I believe Supersonic does fixed LTE for MTN so you can contact Supersonic for their pricing on fixed LTE.
Brilliant. Thank you!

joshuatree

Expert Member
Isn't Telkom's own LTE service for a similar price a better deal ? Or is it not available anymore ? Their FUP is/was 300GB or not ?

Customer1

Isn't Telkom's own LTE service for a similar price a better deal ? Or is it not available anymore ? Their FUP is/was 300GB or not ?
It is 300GB FUP - and yes, not available anymore unless you still have one of the old contracts on month to month