Web Africa uncapped ADSL – some good news

Hades

Was wondering about what deprioritized actually meant but based on this and webafrica's great latencies this sounds really good. Really like the fact that you should get 100% speed over weekends.

The rolling threshholds will probably still not be to the liking of certain "I want to download the entire internet" users.

Katoolsie

this seems really good. I might just hang on to Mweb for a few more months while I see if people are happy with WA. Then I might make the switch

permanentmarker

Because I don't actively seek to download everything on the internet, this sort of account really appeals to me.

What I really like about this is that I won't have to sign a binding contract that enforces you to give 2 months notice before closing an account, which I heard Mweb does.

gregmcc

Honorary Master
This pricing compares favourably with competing uncapped ADSL

Their 4Mbps is more expensive than Mweb - think I'll stick to Mweb thanks.

Munch

What I really want from all ISP's is a profile indicator or notification message letting me know what the current shaping/prioritising policy being applied is.

That way if I experience slow speeds I can check if it is caused by shaping/prioritising or the network. It will also help me to keep my account at 100% rather than shaped. If shaped the type of shaping and level thereof applied should be indicated.

I have switched between different IS based uncapped providers and experience slow speeds in the day even if I believe I should not be shaped. It seems they all give full speed in the evenings and weekends. The problem is I have no way to tell if I am and the support cannot tell me either except base it on assumptions based on the amount I have used the month. This makes comparing the services very difficult.

Some examples. For 80/20 based shaping. It can specify not only that you are in the top 20 but maybe top 17%. And that your current priority status is 2/5 star. This would differ for each ISP's own FUP but they must be a specific and gibe as much detail as possible.

FuLL_MeT4L

Expert Member
I really like that they're trying to be as clear about this as possible.
Their initial press release on this didn't really deal with the issue of deprioritization very well. So kudos to them for making sure that we know where they stand on this!

yeti

Tim Wyatt Gunning said:
Web Africa estimates that the average speeds a shaped user will achieve will be:

50% of their un-shaped speed during business hours,
80% of their un-shaped speed between 5pm and 10pm
100% of their un-shaped speed between 10pm and 7am, as well as the whole weekend

As is the case in the IT industry, estimation (as referred to in the article by WebAfrica's CEO No-Longer-Matthew-Tagg Tim Wyatt Gunning) is always underestimation.

Saajid

Expert Member
So basically the average consumer needs to be a bit of a mathemagician to understand why his so-called uncapped internet access is running slow. I thought those days would start fading away soon, but it seems not. WebAfrica is going in all the wrong directions.

Some advice to WebAfrica: Follow MWEB's lead: KISS.

Last edited:

JStrike

Honorary Master
So basically the average consumer needs to be a bit of a mathemagician to understand why his so-called uncapped internet access is running slow. I thought those days would start fading away soon, but it seems not. WebAfrica is going in all the wrong directions.

Some advice to WebAfrica: Follow MWEB's lead: KISS.
Huh? There's nothing simple or clear about MWeb's policy. Your internet just gets dog slow without any warning

Avenue

Expert Member
6 hour or 7 days? If I had to say, download linux mint on 384kb/s it would take more than 6 hours at full capacity. does that mean that I would then be placed in their dog box?

JStrike

Honorary Master
6 hour or 7 days? If I had to say, download linux mint on 384kb/s it would take more than 6 hours at full capacity. does that mean that I would then be placed in their dog box?

Does no one read the press releases and QA sessions they have done?
These rules only kick in if their network is under strain. And it is nowhere near to being under strain.
But if something does ever happen, you at least know what rules will be applied to you

Avenue

Expert Member
These rules only kick in if their network is under strain. And it is nowhere near to being under strain.
But if something does ever happen, you at least know what rules will be applied to you

no I read a single article on MyBB- I rely on people like you who have read all the press releases to inform me.

so my question still stands. If the network is under strain and I download linux mint on 384kb/s it would take more than 6 hours at full capacity. does that mean that I would then be placed in their dog box?

recre8

So I wonder what the theoretical maximum is you could download in a month with say a 10GB uncapped WA account. I still think the RedAfrica account is the best value for money hands down. Well at least to the lucky ones who got it.

Totempole

Expert Member
We can’t commit to the percentages simply because it depends on other traffic on our network at the time, not because we are hiding anything.

My problem with ANY uncapped offering, is there are no guarantees. for that reason I steer clear of them. I know my reasoning is stupid, but that's just my way of thinking.

I'm the kind of guy that needs guarantees, and the guarantees WebAfrica, or any other ISP has given aren't enough for me to make the leap. Large Caps for lower prices is the answer IMHO.

This is what I think should be put in place.

384K Uncapped = 80GB Cap = R240
1MB Uncapped = 200GB Cap = R600
4/10MB Uncapped = 400GB Cap = R1200

To me, this is fair (R3 per Gig), but most ISP's will wholeheartedly disagree. :crying:

KikzAzz

Well, in this case, the network will of course allways be under strain!

How is a user going to know that the network is under strain. That said, however, it is only the individial that exceeds the limit that needs to worry.

KikzAzz

The rolling threshholds will probably still not be to the liking of certain "I want to download the entire internet" users.

Let me guess, you are one of those individuals that insist in driving at 80 in the right hand lane, as you are within the speed limit and stuff everyone else. As long as you are ok!

malier

this seems really good. I might just hang on to Mweb for a few more months while I see if people are happy with WA. Then I might make the switch

I am switching to uncapped from Dec 1st
I will let you guys know how it goes

Nurple Derple

Honorary Master
Seems to be perfect product for people who use the web in the evenings and weekends