Web Genius Needed! How to link a person to a Telkom username? Let's nail a fraudster!

We are having a serious issue with a fraudster posting real people's information on our website requesting quotations for a service that they no longer need.

It is causing major issues for the businesses contacting these people and the people who's information has been stolen are getting very frustrated. Imagine getting 10 calls for a product that you don't want.

Is there anyone out their bright enough to find a way to link this guy's username to his real name. We managed to get his user name from a static IP address that he used.

Internet stardom awaits anyone who can get it done!

UnUnOctium

Expert Member
Police station-> subpoena. You can get his details easily as long as you know his IP and the time/date at which he was using that IP.

Thanks UnUnOctium. I have spoken to the police but unless I can show a lost (money) they are not willing to look into it.

deweyzeph

Executive Member
It's not clear from the description in your initial post that a crime has actually been committed. Without proof of a crime you will not get the information you're looking for.

People do want our product. Our clients sell swimming pools. The problem is that you tend to only want one swimming pool.

This guy has stolen the access details to another company's contacts and is entering these people's personal details into our website as if they want to buy a new pool. This is a form of identity theft and is also fraud. Our problem is that if you can not prove that you have incurred a loss the police are hesitant to prosecute. Our best hope is that SAIX or Telkom (his ISP) would suspend his account for abuse.

nfbs

Expert Member
Only someone at that ISP will be able to get the telephone number used with that username and the account holder details linked to that username.

Log the details of his IP, browser, OS, capture time for new orders and you will know new orders from that IP range & combination..
It could be hackable if you know his IP you can have a conditional running program prompt the user to install which in turns emails you the contents of his My documents folder or just be a trojan.
But that means you turned into him.

Email registration would be the easiest solution.

Thanks guys. I am working on an email solution. Its not great though because I don't want to force people to register just to get a quote.

I would love to take a drive to this guy's house though to have a little chat. That would really make my day.

TheGuy

Expert Member
Thanks guys. I am working on an email solution. Its not great though because I don't want to force people to register just to get a quote.

I would love to take a drive to this guy's house though to have a little chat. That would really make my day.
Or just get his IP Address check which ISP owns it and report him for abuse. They won't give you his details but can probably send him a warning which should be enough to make him stop as it's probably just some young kid with nothing to do.

Or just get his IP Address check which ISP owns it and report him for abuse. They won't give you his details but can probably send him a warning which should be enough to make him stop as it's probably just some young kid with nothing to do.
Telkom is the ISP. SAIX contacted them to warn him but nothing's changed.

Blackhand

Unfortunately, the same internet privacy laws that protect this ass protect you on the net, so trying to figure out his identity is probably just going to get you into trouble. Your best bet is to improve the process on your site (email registration), because even if you stop this guy, there are LOADS of 12 year olds on the net with too much free time who will do exactly the same thing.

jeanres

Expert Member
omfg just blacklist the IP, and then if he tries again blacklist another one or build code that checks that no more then 1 submission can come from the same IP in x minutes.

murraybiscuit

Executive Member
how could this possibly be funny if he has no idea whether you're calling the people or not?
maybe it's an inside job - why would anybody else go to that amount of effort?
unless they could see your response every day...
it seems pretty infantile... got any disgruntled employees or 16 year old kids of employees?

cbrunsdonza

Honorary Master
People do want our product. Our clients sell swimming pools. The problem is that you tend to only want one swimming pool.

This guy has stolen the access details to another company's contacts and is entering these people's personal details into our website as if they want to buy a new pool. This is a form of identity theft and is also fraud. Our problem is that if you can not prove that you have incurred a loss the police are hesitant to prosecute. Our best hope is that SAIX or Telkom (his ISP) would suspend his account for abuse.
Jokes aside, its sounds like a tactic from competition. Back in my furniture retail days we would even pull of crap like parking our cars in front of the competition (same centre) when they had sales to make it harder for their clients to get to them. Hey, business is a tough place.

On the registration, its a tough one as I would personally not register to just get a quote - too many other businesses for me to make use of that don't do it.

In all honesty with my experience in telephone sales (not tele-crap-sales), your resolution lies more in how you guys approach your prospective clients when phoning them. Hell, I've even sold stuff over the phone to wrong numbers if you know how to.

It's complicated. My site sends many good leads to a group of pool builders in the Western Cape every day. We know of one pool builder, not on our site, who has done this sort of thing in the past. By sending all the other builders on wild goose chases he gets to target clients with far less competition. Clients would typically submit a quote request to more than one site. This way he knows which are real and which are not.

Last edited:

Blackhand

how could this possibly be funny if he has no idea whether you're calling the people or not?
maybe it's an inside job - why would anybody else go to that amount of effort?
unless they could see your response every day...
it seems pretty infantile... got any disgruntled employees or 16 year old kids of employees?
Take a look around, this is the internet! You don't have to look far to find infantile nonesense.

Icarium

Expert Member
Unfortunately only the people/persons/businesses that he/she/it is impersonating can instigate any meaningfull legal action here. This doesn't sound like it's reached the stage where it could be considered to be fraud yet, and only someone who's identity has been stolen can persue that avenue of enquiries.

If he/she/it is using a static IP, blacklist it.