Web Squad ISP

ghostRgg

Expert Member
Have tried to speak to them and Blizzard. Honestly, it ain't going to happen anytime soon where we have good routing for MEA since the routes change all the time and AWS, as websquad has said before, is focusing on stability vs latency.

Not much the AWS NOC's can do.

SFW007

Expert Member
seen his post before mentioning it , but am sure we have a NOC from AWS on Mybb .
can they not create another path solely for gamers , why host gaming servers then

ghostRgg

Expert Member
seen his post before mentioning it , but am sure we have a NOC from AWS on Mybb .
can they not create another path solely for gamers , why host gaming servers then
I mean they can't really create a path if their only "proper" routing for most people is via the AWS Johannesburg, the only way around most of the bad routing is forcing paths to route in EU AWS if you are in Cape Town as an example. Pretty sure every ISP is having routing issues with amazon at the moment, given their recent hiccups and such.

Soul Assassin

Honorary Master
For the people that live in that region?

Most people still prefer to manually choose EU anyway because of shorter queue times and a higher level of competition.

ghostRgg

Expert Member
For the people that live in that region?

Most people still prefer to manually choose EU anyway because of shorter queue times and a higher level of competition.
I mean honestly, I would love to play on EU again because MEA has some of the most toxic and terrible quality of games and competition. It's mostly smurfs and people trying out stuff over there. That said, Durban has 190ms for me to the Overwatch EU servers which puts us within around 2-3ms over or below (depending on the server) where lag compensation and the netcode stops helping you.

You can also feel the difference between 150ms and 190ms in-game instantly. I miss the days when ixp routing via cloudflare could net us 169ms to France (177 in-game). Note, I am not on fibre yet, but have pretty low latency ADSL.

Soul Assassin

Honorary Master
I mean honestly, I would love to play on EU again because MEA has some of the most toxic and terrible quality of games and competition. It's mostly smurfs and people trying out stuff over there. That said, Durban has 190ms for me to the Overwatch EU servers which puts us within around 2-3ms over or below (depending on the server) where lag compensation and the netcode stops helping you.

You can also feel the difference between 150ms and 190ms in-game instantly. I miss the days when ixp routing via cloudflare could net us 169ms to France (177 in-game). Note, I am not on fibre yet, but have pretty low latency ADSL.
I still get 170ms to Paris AWS.

Chiller89

Just had loadshedding end at 8:30, fibre been fine the whole time and now totally dead, red lights on ONT. Octotel, Wynberg CPT. Anyone else also down on Octotel?

EDIT - turns out to be our whole block, looks to be getting fixed.

Last edited:

websquadza

WebSquad
Company Rep
any contact number for the AWS africa team ?
They keep f***king with the routes then i need to explain to my son who bugs me while am working
every 2nd day they seem to be messing with the routes

Everything is handled by their global networking NOC, who are, in general, really pretty useless at responding. Unless it’s an outage, you’re not getting a quick or mildly interested response.

It seems that (probably due to the scale of their network), when a path flaps- it’s taken offline and is left offline for a considerable period after the flap. My assumption (there’s very little documentation or info about their network) is that their JHB - KZN route (to reach the east coast routes) is linear (single path) and one of the providers prone to outages (hence the regular route changes).
Have tried to speak to them and Blizzard. Honestly, it ain't going to happen anytime soon where we have good routing for MEA since the routes change all the time and AWS, as websquad has said before, is focusing on stability vs latency.

Not much the AWS NOC's can do.

AWS act as a global carrier. They can’t (or rather won’t) optimise routes for different services. They depend on uptime. So as you’ve correctly mentioned above, as soon as a shorter path goes offline- it’s not their priority to get it back up unless they’re sure it’s stable. I get this- it helps ensure their reputation for uptime. But it sucks for gamers, especially in remote regions.

I don’t think they see gaming in remote regions as a large enough business to spin up different networks. Their offering to game companies is attractive because of the scale of DDOS protection they offer to these services and relatively manageable costs. DDOS is a massive by-product of the gaming industry (not all DDOS attacks are gaming related, but quite a few are), and it’s scale is truly mind blowing. AWS fought off a 2+ Tbps attack last year (to put that in perspective- That’s around SA’s total traffic volume). Essentially, AWS just sells server capacity and networking as a service to these gaming companies.

websquadza

WebSquad
Company Rep
Just had loadshedding end at 8:30, fibre been fine the whole time and now totally dead, red lights on ONT. Octotel, Wynberg CPT. Anyone else also down on Octotel?

EDIT - turns out to be our whole block, looks to be getting fixed.

Apologies for the late response on this. Not seeing any notices in our Incident mailbox (not surprising). Have you submitted a ticket for this?

SNaidoo

My connection just died. Am I alone?
No, mine as well. trying to log a ticket but the support website page is just hanging. Looks to be just me in my area - neighbors are all working fine.

Edit: Connection just cam back now.

websquadza

WebSquad
Company Rep

Looks like a 3rd party link in London (Network layer is a 3rd party network, not on our network or upstream's network). It's been escalated to our upstream who are now reaching out to network layer (seeing as they are peers).

My connection just died. Am I alone?
No, mine as well. trying to log a ticket but the support website page is just hanging. Looks to be just me in my area - neighbors are all working fine.

Edit: Connection just cam back now.

FNO and area please? No core issues on our side.

Anyone else having issues with twitch this morning?
Can you be more specific?

SNaidoo

Looks like a 3rd party link in London (Network layer is a 3rd party network, not on our network or upstream's network). It's been escalated to our upstream who are now reaching out to network layer (seeing as they are peers).

FNO and area please? No core issues on our side.

Can you be more specific?
Vumatel Aerial, Rivonia JHB.

websquadza

WebSquad
Company Rep
Vumatel Aerial, Rivonia JHB.

Saw a bunch of Vuma Aerial sessions go down and come back up a little while later. Red LOS on the ONT (from your ticket) indicates an OLT issue (probably a reboot of sorts).