Web Squad ISP

topdog

- Also, no, this is a common misconception. The PON light indicates you have a connection to the OLT, so your last mile is fine. It does not indicate you have a connection to the Vuma core network neother to our network. There are no status lights on the ONT which indicate you have a connection through to our network. So we use MAC lookups on L2 and compare these to what Vumatel say they are learning at the LAN port to see if we can see you, if we can, we then turn to troubleshooting why your connection is not establishing.

On a sidenote, through all of this, I didn't check if you're online. You are.. Your session came back up 15 hours 30 minutes ago, which is after we sent you a response suggesting the issue was on your router?
The router was never the issue (easily determined by the mac prior to and post issue). The issue was the remote end allowing the session to come up. If you read my ticket you will see that my grip is your support not reading the initial or response ticket and responding in a redetermined way (cookie cutter) responses. But like you say "As I said before, eliminating any other issues is paramount because dealing with Vuma and AEX NOC on broadcast protocol issues is a headache- to put it lightly" using a predetermined script. Prior to logging the ticket i had already carried out all the steps your first line was asking me to do. So as exhibited above you/they are not even aware of the fact the connection reconnected at 20H35 without any local changes.

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
hence my loadshedding comment. :ROFL:

but anyway, congrats man, may it last!
I generally only see it struggling during peak evening hours (8-10pm) but it's still hitting 500-600Mbps then so it's not unusable. The rest of the time the line can mostly be maxed out if it needs to.

ijacobs3

Expert Member
Erm, question @websquadza , the gigabit connection upgrade story, i see its only 1000/100 ? is there any way to keep the 200 up i currently have? ( being cheeky here , i know)

websquadza

WebSquad
Company Rep
Erm, question @websquadza , the gigabit connection upgrade story, i see its only 1000/100 ? is there any way to keep the 200 up i currently have? ( being cheeky here , i know)

It would be awesome to get more upload speed on this product, but Vuma are pretty steadfast on the 100 upload on this. I think it's just to avoid cannibalising other FTTB products within theirs and the CIVH stable. The premise (I believe) is that a faster upload would create a surplus of home "hosts". I may be wrong here and we'll see what Vuma does when they finally bring out 1G+ services.

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
Yep, I also did the change from 200/200 to 1000/100. It's not ideal but in my case it hasn't been a problem.

Do you upload a lot of large files?

ghostRgg

Expert Member
It would be awesome to get more upload speed on this product, but Vuma are pretty steadfast on the 100 upload on this. I think it's just to avoid cannibalising other FTTB products within theirs and the CIVH stable. The premise (I believe) is that a faster upload would create a surplus of home "hosts". I may be wrong here and we'll see what Vuma does when they finally bring out 1G+ services.
Vumatel 10G/1G when? Heard they were looking for testers

websquadza

WebSquad
Company Rep
So, how does 1000/500 sound? Coming 1 July :cool:

Also, big changes coming to Vumatel packages 1 July - more updates to follow (we need to crunch commercials).

ijacobs3

Expert Member
Yep, I also did the change from 200/200 to 1000/100. It's not ideal but in my case it hasn't been a problem.

Do you upload a lot of large files?

For a couple of friends, ( and wife & child) I run a ark, rust & minecraft server , said freeloaders whine when there is some lag ( this is usually triggered by iPhone doing backups, etc) so the 200 works well

ghostRgg

Expert Member
:ROFL: still a way off. But I'll take 1000/500
pfft yeah same ahahaha, would love 1000/500 is just so strange to see 1000/100 since that 200 upload makes such a difference for so many things. It's about time they get the 1000/500 out there! Means we can finally not kill homerun servers with backups anymore.

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
For a couple of friends, ( and wife & child) I run a ark, rust & minecraft server , said freeloaders whine when there is some lag ( this is usually triggered by iPhone doing backups, etc) so the 200 works well
Maybe a limiter on the upload for all the wifi devices on the network, not often you need blazing fast uploads for these tasks anway.

JustAnotherSouthAfrican

@websquadza any updates on our PM re the routing issue to said specific IP.

Rechecked the hop between the Level 3 and the host server on your looking glass, and it's still the same. Johannesburg doesn't show it, Cape Town does.

Cape Town:
Code:
giga-hostin.edge6.dusseldorf1.level3.net        0%    4 153.9ms   154.1   153.9   154.2
-redacted IP-                                    0%    4 178.9ms   178.7   178.2   179.2

Joburg:
Code:
giga-hostin.edge6.dusseldorf1.level3.net        0%    2 188.4ms   188.9   188.4   189.3
-redacted IP-                                    0%    2 188.3ms   188.8   188.3   189.3