Web Squad ISP

JustinB

Can sell you a FortiGate 40F with SD-WAN that do these things... well... they just do it once setup correctly, I fail over between my two links only noticing it when my ssh connections drops
I don't think there's much a Mikrotik can't do. It's just not a one-click solution and requires some configuration.

Seeyou

Expert Member
On some weird routing right now? Ping to Hong Kong is 167ms which is quite impressive though.

websquadza

WebSquad
Company Rep
What's the procedure to migrate from one ISP to WebSquad on Vumatel Aerial?
Our FTTH team usually takes care of the entire migration process for you. You'll need to give notice to your current ISP. On migration day and as soon as the line is released, we'll ensure the line is ordered and the order is moved forward. PM me your details and I'll get someone from the team to call you and talk you through the process.

rvanwyk

Expert Member
Our FTTH team usually takes care of the entire migration process for you. You'll need to give notice to your current ISP. On migration day and as soon as the line is released, we'll ensure the line is ordered and the order is moved forward. PM me your details and I'll get someone from the team to call you and talk you through the process.
Thanks. Sent.

websquadza

WebSquad
Company Rep
Can anything be done about these IPs:

This IP 72.5.161.228 is ~150ms from JHB but these two:

are ~340ms

These IPs seem to belong to Google; We hand over at NAP in JHB and they carry it on their global network. Unfortunately can't de-peer Google. Will message their NOC, but they're not the most responsive for issues like this.

CrypticZA

Expert Member
These IPs seem to belong to Google; We hand over at NAP in JHB and they carry it on their global network. Unfortunately can't de-peer Google. Will message their NOC, but they're not the most responsive for issues like this.
It is pretty sad Googles routing is not optimised very well...

My Google traffic from CT to Belgium goes CT->JHB->CT->WACS ->Belgium so end up with like 180+ when it should be 150-155

km2

Expert Member

If I were to give notice to my existing ISP (who would then end service on 31 July/1 August) at what point would I need to get WebSquad involved to try and ensure minimum downtime on Frogfoot?

JustAnotherSouthAfrican

If I were to give notice to my existing ISP (who would then end service on 31 July/1 August) at what point would I need to get WebSquad involved to try and ensure minimum downtime on Frogfoot?
Immediately. Get in touch with websquad before you let your ISP know just so that you're aware of the procedure. They'll tell you exactly what to say to make it as easy as possible for you.

Then, after you let your ISP know, just let websquad know when your termination date is and they'll make sure that the migration goes smooth as butter, and you'll only have a few hours of downtime.

Did it this way, and only had 4 hours of downtime, with the cancellation day being on a Sunday.

Seeyou

Expert Member
I'm getting a lot of marketing emails regarding uncapped entry-level fibre from Octotel. About 5-6 emails in the last few days. Presumably your systems can tell I'm already on fibre with Octotel, and have a faster line speed. I don't want to opt out of marketing emails in case there's some good offer in the future, but this is getting a little ridiculous.

websquadza

WebSquad
Company Rep
I'm getting a lot of marketing emails regarding uncapped entry-level fibre from Octotel. About 5-6 emails in the last few days. Presumably your systems can tell I'm already on fibre with Octotel, and have a faster line speed. I don't want to opt out of marketing emails in case there's some good offer in the future, but this is getting a little ridiculous.

Can you please forward one of these emails to support, would like to see who they're from? We're not sending any marketing mails at the moment, so it's definitely not from our list. If it's from Octotel, we'll also ask them to stop.

Seeyou

Expert Member
Can you please forward one of these emails to support, would like to see who they're from? We're not sending any marketing mails at the moment, so it's definitely not from our list. If it's from Octotel, we'll also ask them to stop.

I'm an idiot. It says "Webafrica" not Web Squad. My brain only registered the "Web" and filled in the rest through association. :sick:

Apologies for the mix up and thanks, now I can safely unsubscribe/block these.

r00igev@@r

Executive Member
Can sell you a FortiGate 40F with SD-WAN that do these things... well... they just do it once setup correctly, I fail over between my two links only noticing it when my ssh connections drops
A proper SD-WAN won't drop the ssh...