Web Squad ISP

websquadza

WebSquad
Company Rep
Maintenance Notice (CPT):
We’ve received notice of emergency maintenance happening on an upstream’s switch’s in Cape Town tomorrow night between (22:00 and 00:00). We’re expecting minimal to no impact to the network during this window. We will also closely monitor the network during this window to ensure things go smoothly.

Xzib1t

Expert Member
We are working on this with the affected upstream- their DDOS mitigation tool flags the high packet volumes as DOS traffic, and kicks in.. we had a good middle ground that worked well until the accelerator kicked in and messed with the packet ratios (the accelerator helps boost packet volumes many times over.. unfortunately the DOS tool being used (and this protection remains critical for our network) isn’t able to differentiate at the disproportionately high packet levels we see with this kind of traffic. An additional upstream is being added to the mix in the next two weeks- which will help balance this out. Additional tools are also being tested and more feedback to follow.
Anything I can do to mitigate from my end in the meantime?

FYI, SABNZBd just ignores the speed limit I set,

websquadza

WebSquad
Company Rep
Hi all! I’ll be offline for this weekend, I won’t be available to follow up on any queries or questions between now and Sunday. Our core network team will be keeping a close eye on the maintenance tomorrow night. Email and portal support is open as always- so please use those channels if you have any technical issues. Thanks all for the constant support, have a great weekend and enjoy tomorrow’s game!

websquadza

WebSquad
Company Rep

I’d be happy to get one of our network guys to give you a call and test different configs to see what works? Drop me a PM and I’ll organise this.

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master

You just have to set your connections really low, like start at 15 then see how it affects things and work from there.

Meester

You just have to set your connections really low, like start at 15 then see how it affects things and work from there.
I used to hit those with single rsync connections... pushing data out (The small return packets hit my caps :D )

Meester

Anybody else also having "Strange" iTunes download connections troubles?
Okay, seems that I get this problem from both my Android using Apple Music *and* my Hackintosh where downloading music from the Apple Music is throwing connection error issues on WebSquad ;(

When I shut down the WebSquad interface, and route via Vanilla then the downloads happens "instantaneously" without errors, so, I then routed the Apple IPs via FortiGate's SDWAN to Vanilla, so now it works that I can download my Apple iTunes/Music via Vanilla and browse the rest via WebSquad... that doesn't give troubles....

In other words @websquadza somethings not lekka with the link to Apple's CDN Akamai I guess....

Nemus

Expert Member
My connection just dropped due to unpaid account...
Account was paid via debit order on the 1st.. yet, im on mobile internet at this moment..

websquadza

WebSquad
Company Rep
Maintenance Notice (CPT):
We’ve received notice of emergency maintenance happening on an upstream’s switch’s in Cape Town tomorrow night between (22:00 and 00:00). We’re expecting minimal to no impact to the network during this window. We will also closely monitor the network during this window to ensure things go smoothly.
Just a reminder

My connection just dropped due to unpaid account...
Account was paid via debit order on the 1st.. yet, im on mobile internet at this moment..
Nope, more L2 drops than we’d hoped. Reboot your router and cpe if you’re not back up

Nemus

Expert Member
Just a reminder

Nope, more L2 drops than we’d hoped. Reboot your router and cpe if you’re not back up
Error: No response from the remote server. Please contact your ISP.

Dial-up connection succeeded but the internet is inaccessible. Please contact your ISP.

Last edited:

websquadza

WebSquad
Company Rep
Error: No response from the remote server. Please contact your ISP.

Dial-up connection succeeded but the internet is inaccessible. Please contact your ISP.
Please log a ticket so we can log with FNO, likely a L2 issue.

Seeyou

Expert Member
Gaming on a Sunday morning feels so nice and responsive. Must be what it feels like all the time on a fibre provider that isn't Octotel.

TheBadMadMan

International.
I've been observing something strange, wrt quality of gaming on international gaming.
It's almost as if EU plays better during the day for us in SA and NA plays better during the evenings.

It's at the point for me where, I rather play Apex Legends on NA servers (200+ms ping) than on EU servers (150+ms). EU feels a lot more stuttery and laggy whereas NA feels smooth as butter and shots register instantly without issue despite the increase in ping. (Perhaps this is an Apex Legends specific server issue, I do not play other games.)

Perhaps there is regional prioritisation happening on the carrier level to major regions of the world depending on their bandwidth needs (outside of SA ISP scope/control). Would be interesting to get some insight into this, if it is indeed happening.

I'm guessing you have not had a gaming session in the middle of the week at 9AM? I'd say you'll have the same quality of connection as you had on Sunday to EU. Maybe give one of the NA servers a try if you game at night (try New York perhaps).

Just my 2c. Might be complete BS wrt bandwidth prioritisation.

Seeyou

Expert Member
I've been observing something strange, wrt quality of gaming on international gaming.
It's almost as if EU plays better during the day for us in SA and NA plays better during the evenings.

It's at the point for me where, I rather play Apex Legends on NA servers (200+ms ping) than on EU servers (150+ms). EU feels a lot more stuttery and laggy whereas NA feels smooth as butter and shots register instantly without issue despite the increase in ping. (Perhaps this is an Apex Legends specific server issue, I do not play other games.)

Perhaps there is regional prioritisation happening on the carrier level to major regions of the world depending on their bandwidth needs (outside of SA ISP scope/control). Would be interesting to get some insight into this, if it is indeed happening.

I'm guessing you have not had a gaming session in the middle of the week at 9AM? I'd say you'll have the same quality of connection as you had on Sunday to EU. Maybe give one of the NA servers a try if you game at night (try New York perhaps).

I actually freelance so gaming during the day does happen fairly often when things aren't busy :sneaky:

I also play Apex pretty much exclusively. It's definitely noticeable when the server response is smooth and the hitreg is on point - I know exactly what you mean. I'm wondering though if you're not just feeling the results of overtaxed Apex servers - our peak times would coincide pretty well with peak times in EU, and evening here would still be pretty early in NA so the servers wouldn't be as busy, hence the better experience.

I think though that the major issue is Respawn's garbage server infrastructure - regional prioritisation seems unlikely but who knows. My problems are compounded by Octotel's crap network which seems to worsen as the day progresses and more people are utilising it, adding some packet loss to the mix.

CrypticZA

Expert Member
I actually freelance so gaming during the day does happen fairly often when things aren't busy :sneaky:

I also play Apex pretty much exclusively. It's definitely noticeable when the server response is smooth and the hitreg is on point - I know exactly what you mean. I'm wondering though if you're not just feeling the results of overtaxed Apex servers - our peak times would coincide pretty well with peak times in EU, and evening here would still be pretty early in NA so the servers wouldn't be as busy, hence the better experience.

I think though that the major issue is Respawn's garbage server infrastructure - regional prioritisation seems unlikely but who knows. My problems are compounded by Octotel's crap network which seems to worsen as the day progresses and more people are utilising it, adding some packet loss to the mix.

Can confirm this as well, during the day i get put on London/Amsterdam/Frankfurt servers and in the evenings i end up on Belgium or Finland (falls under Belgium region now) and the game is horrible to play.

From CT to Finland with Google transit is 230ms, i find when playing on NA it is also smoother.

You can notice the difference in the evening when you get tossed onto a Frankfurt or Amsterdam server.