Web Squad ISP

TheBadMadMan

Yeah I see this. Subjectively though, the experience is better when using ExitLag. I never see pings above ~170ms and hitreg definitely feels more immediate. Upstream or Google servers, just seems to be the way to go for me at the moment.
Yep, I bought ExitLag for this very reason. Have about 100 days remaining. It just offers the best route all the time, for how much it costs it's worth it for me. 189ms to New York is very nice to play on. In fact much better that 142ms to London.

Anyway didn't mean to hijack the WS thread.

Seeyou

Expert Member
@websquadza could you have a look at ticket #910944 for me? I'm trying to put some pressure on Octotel on social media but need this info from you guys and am not getting a reply.

Seeyou

Expert Member
This is my line right now. It's pretty much unusable:

1631167886262.png

This is after the latest, and last maintenance in the area this morning. And it's now worse than it's ever been.

websquadza

WebSquad
Company Rep
@websquadza could you have a look at ticket #910944 for me? I'm trying to put some pressure on Octotel on social media but need this info from you guys and am not getting a reply.
This is my line right now. It's pretty much unusable:

View attachment 1143772

This is after the latest, and last maintenance in the area this morning. And it's now worse than it's ever been.

We've been in touch with Octotel this morning. They are trying to contact you; please can you PM me your phone number when you get a chance?

Seeyou

Expert Member
We've been in touch with Octotel this morning. They are trying to contact you; please can you PM me your phone number when you get a chance?

Murphy's Law it would be the one day I've had to go out in the last week and didn't hear the phone ringing. Have replied to the ticket with the number, it's the same one you have on file.

Seeyou

Expert Member
Got a call from them now. They're sending out a technician to replace the ONT tomorrow morning with a "newer version". Gotta wonder about this reasoning as the issue seems to be wide spread and concurrent with others in the area but at least we'll be one step closer to telling them "Yep, not that either".

Seeyou

Expert Member
Yep, I bought ExitLag for this very reason. Have about 100 days remaining. It just offers the best route all the time, for how much it costs it's worth it for me. 189ms to New York is very nice to play on. In fact much better that 142ms to London.

Anyway didn't mean to hijack the WS thread.

Can't seem to get below 210ms to New York. I'm assuming you're either in JHB or on another ISP.

TheBadMadMan

Can't seem to get below 210ms to New York. I'm assuming you're either in JHB or on another ISP.
Strange. Websquad. Cpt Northern subs. Vumatel fibre.
9e6cc81a6f4885f8c9b810606224aa54.jpg

Last edited:

Seeyou

Expert Member
Strange. Websquad. Cpt Northern subs. Vumatel fibre.
9e6cc81a6f4885f8c9b810606224aa54.jpg

Ah, I see that same estimate, but I meant in-game. I tried it earlier and the latency was constantly >200ms regardless of server, and while it felt pretty smooth, the added latency compared to say, Singapore, was too noticeable.

TheBadMadMan

Ah, I see that same estimate, but I meant in-game. I tried it earlier and the latency was constantly >200ms regardless of server, and while it felt pretty smooth, the added latency compared to say, Singapore, was too noticeable.
For sure Singapore feels nice for me too but the quality of comms when solo queuing NA is pretty nice. Everyone speaks English.

New York ping:
8a09661b83d8e0b872587440fc566ccf.jpg

Seeyou

Expert Member
For sure Singapore feels nice for me too but the quality of comms when solo queuing NA is pretty nice. Everyone speaks English.

New York ping:
8a09661b83d8e0b872587440fc566ccf.jpg

I tried it again just now and got around 195ms for a bit, so I think it's server/load dependent too. Pity we can't get a faster route to NA.

JustAnotherSouthAfrican

@websquadza Just wanting to cure my interest here, why do I get routed to Durban when the Cape Town CloudFlare POP is down? I'm guessing that this is out of your control?

Edit: I always forget this... Cape Town, Vumatel Trenched

Screenshot 2021-09-09 170835.png

websquadza

WebSquad
Company Rep
@websquadza Just wanting to cure my interest here, why do I get routed to Durban when the Cape Town CloudFlare POP is down? I'm guessing that this is out of your control?

Edit: I always forget this... Cape Town, Vumatel Trenched

View attachment 1144288
Apologies for the late reply. We generally weight the local exchanges as primary and then national (JHB and KZN as secondary with equal weighting and let BGP make it's mind up in this regard), and unfortunately, as great as BGP is, it doesn't know anything about latency. We've tweaked this path a little, so JHB should be favoured over KZN now.

TheLaggingShaman

Not a customer (currently) but I just learned about Web Squad's low pings to Singapore. Is this exclusive to them as an SA ISP? Are there other ISPs using SAFE?

Seeyou

Expert Member
So Octotel was here bright and early to replace the ONT. When I spoke to him about my problems he actually recommended powering down the ONT at least once a day so it doesn't overheat. :unsure:

Will see how things go now, but I think we're currently in one of the calm periods in between timeout storms.

Seeyou

Expert Member
Yeah if anything, this "new" ONT made things worse. Now constantly have packet loss bursts which I can feel when playing online:

1631265370274.png

websquadza

WebSquad
Company Rep
So Octotel was here bright and early to replace the ONT. When I spoke to him about my problems he actually recommended powering down the ONT at least once a day so it doesn't overheat. :unsure:

Will see how things go now, but I think we're currently in one of the calm periods in between timeout storms.

Does this new ONT make those dial up tones to go with its apparent overheating? These guys…

Ironic thing is I know of Octotel areas that don’t have issues, with ONTs that have been powered up for months.