Web Squad ISP

Seeyou

Expert Member
I don't want to jinx it, but I'll say tentatively that things are looking more stable this afternoon:

1631278763044.png

Seeyou

Expert Member
Is this post or pre new ONT?

Post, but the actual replacement did nothing as I was having some crazy bursts of packet loss even afterwards.

Not sure if WS's further prodding or my badgering of Octotel support on social media for escalation has resulted in something, or this is a coincidental period of quiet on the line.

websquadza

WebSquad
Company Rep
Post, but the actual replacement did nothing as I was having some crazy bursts of packet loss even afterwards.

Not sure if WS's further prodding or my badgering of Octotel support on social media for escalation has resulted in something, or this is a coincidental period of quiet on the line.
Nevermind, I'm hoping too hard it seems.

View attachment 1145172

Sadly no response since we told them the ONT swap didn't really help... Will keep prodding.

websquadza

WebSquad
Company Rep
Not a customer (currently) but I just learned about Web Squad's low pings to Singapore. Is this exclusive to them as an SA ISP? Are there other ISPs using SAFE?
We pick these up through PCCW with an upstream, always nice to have great paths to Asia

websquadza

WebSquad
Company Rep
Just a little note: A massive BGP route leak was detected yesterday. A local ISP (we're not naming and shaming) leaked about 150K prefixes to AWS on their direct peering session. Somehow 12k of these prefixes were accepted resulting in a large amount of SA inbound traffic from AWS doing funny things... We have our own direct sessions with AWS, so out traffic, we believe, was largely unaffected. But ISPs who didn't have direct sessions landed up losing their traffic to this ISP entirely. A big thanks to the team at @NAPAfrica, AWS and a bunch of ISPs on the ZANOG group who identified this leak and promptly resolved this.

phoenix99

Expert Member
Got a call from them now. They're sending out a technician to replace the ONT tomorrow morning with a "newer version". Gotta wonder about this reasoning as the issue seems to be wide spread and concurrent with others in the area but at least we'll be one step closer to telling them "Yep, not that either".

Cool Ideas customer here. Got the same story from them. 2 ONT's later and still no joy.

See here

Seeyou

Expert Member
@websquadza are mid-month upgrades pro-rated? (and possible with Octotel?) I'd like to test a theory but I don't want to pay for the whole month if it's full price.

websquadza

WebSquad
Company Rep
@websquadza are mid-month upgrades pro-rated? (and possible with Octotel?) I'd like to test a theory but I don't want to pay for the whole month if it's full price.
We can process upgrades any time and our team will pro-rate your service accordingly. Just drop support an email with your request.

Seeyou

Expert Member
For fellow Octotel victims:

Dear Octotel Clients,
Octotel Engineers will be performing continued node maintenance on our Rondebosch node.
This maintenance will result in certain customers in the area losing connectivity for 5mins. No more than 30 customers will lose connectivity at a time.
The maintenance is to alleviate any potential areas of concern, to ensure all connections are in spec for all customers to experience a stable connection. Please see dates and time of the maintenance schedule below:
Date: Tuesday, 14th September 2021
Start time: 01:00am - 05:00am
Duration: 5 hours
Estimated time: 2 hours
The maintenance is scheduled to alleviate all out of spec connections in the following area: Palmyra - core 1 fibre infrastructure.
If you lose connectivity between the maintenance window it is the result of the scheduled maintenance. Our Engineers will be on site to ensure down time is kept to an absolute minimum. During this time customers may experience intermittent to no connectivity.

r00igev@@r

Executive Member
Does this new ONT make those dial up tones to go with its apparent overheating? These guys…

Ironic thing is I know of Octotel areas that don’t have issues, with ONTs that have been powered up for months.
Maybe it needs some blocks of ice?

CrypticZA

Expert Member
For fellow Octotel victims:
Funny thing is my one friend has had 0 issues for the past like 24 hours on Octotel in that area, i am almost willing to bet money tomorrow he's going to send me a rage message saying things are broken again...

Seeyou

Expert Member
Funny thing is my one friend has had 0 issues for the past like 24 hours on Octotel in that area, i am almost willing to bet money tomorrow he's going to send me a rage message saying things are broken again...

"Octotel has determined that a part of its network is running far too well and will perform an urgent maintenance tomorrow morning to rectify the situation."