Web Squad ISP

Seeyou

Expert Member
With routing, inbound and outbound are handled completely separately. We can dictate outbound routing by favouring certain paths or adjusting various factors with BGP filters. Just remember, what you see as a traceroute going to a server is not always the route that network chooses to return traffic on (one of the caveats of BGP). Inbound is a little more complex, we only have two tools; communities (where we explicitly tell an upstream what to do) and AS path length (making a specific path look longer or shorter based on AS hops). We have a strategy for managing DDOS with this new provider in tow. With regards to inbound traffic, our strategy in the first few days once we go live will be to advertise equally across all upstreams in the region (CPT) to see how traffic is shifted around and what users are seeing. We'll bring up a bunch of probes globally and run some tests inbound to CPT prefixes as well. Once we have a clear picture of how the rest of the world sees us behind this new upstream, we can start tweaking; so user feedback during this week or so soak period will be vital. We'll keep you posted along the way.

Sounds good. Will this alleviate the black hole issues for those of us unlucky enough to be on Octotel? I forgot about about it and an automated download killed my connection during an SSH session yesterday, so I've limited NNTP again for now.

jvrs

@websquadza
Seeing latency has doubled and up to 20% packetloss from CPT Vuma Trenched to JHB from around 12:00, any glaring issues ? Thanks

Capture.PNG

websquadza

WebSquad
Company Rep
@websquadza
Seeing latency has doubled and up to 20% packetloss from CPT Vuma Trenched to JHB from around 12:00, any glaring issues ? Thanks

View attachment 1149010

Major NLD break between CPT and JHB again. Looks like secondary route vendor is taking strain as large amounts of Seacom, WIOCC and others' traffic has failed over and specific carrier is having some issues under this load. We are in the process of finalising implementation of a 3rd carrier for situations just like this. We're monitoring closely.

jvrs

Major NLD break between CPT and JHB again. Looks like secondary route vendor is taking strain as large amounts of Seacom, WIOCC and others' traffic has failed over and specific carrier is having some issues under this load. We are in the process of finalising implementation of a 3rd carrier for situations just like this. We're monitoring closely.
I thank you !

Zodiak

Internet just completely died for a few minutes, Evotel/Web Squad North Riding. Came back on now but was wondering why the outage?

websquadza

WebSquad
Company Rep
Internet just completely died for a few minutes, Evotel/Web Squad North Riding. Came back on now but was wondering why the outage?

Likely an area OLT / Line card reboot. Unlikely to get a RFO for a short outage like this with Evotel, and no network notices posted.

JustAnotherSouthAfrican

@websquadza Just had an issue to CloudFlare and all services running over CloudFlare. Google services were fine (search engine, YouTube, etc). MyBB, Discord, and the cloudflare.com website as well as my company's site (CF proxied) were all inaccessible.

Edit: CPT, Vuma Trenched. Came back up after about 2 minutes.

Xzib1t

Expert Member
@websquadza anything happening with your guys network?

I'm constantly getting disconnected from my company's VPN end points in both London and the US....
IT says there are no issues on our side, I need to speak to my ISP :)

I found the issue, it's the DDOS protection kicking in because SONARR added some distros to my list.

@websquadza this is incredibly frustrating, what is the ETA on the fix, when is starts affecting WFH then I need to consider other options...

Last edited:

websquadza

WebSquad
Company Rep
@websquadza anything happening with your guys network?

I'm constantly getting disconnected from my company's VPN end points in both London and the US....
IT says there are no issues on our side, I need to speak to my ISP :)

I found the issue, it's the DDOS protection kicking in because SONARR added some distros to my list.

@websquadza this is incredibly frustrating, what is the ETA on the fix, when is starts affecting WFH then I need to consider other options...

New service expected up later this week for testing. Will keep you updated. Querying the logs for your connection in the meanwhile to help with diagnosis.

websquadza

WebSquad
Company Rep
@websquadza Just had an issue to CloudFlare and all services running over CloudFlare. Google services were fine (search engine, YouTube, etc). MyBB, Discord, and the cloudflare.com website as well as my company's site (CF proxied) were all inaccessible.

Edit: CPT, Vuma Trenched. Came back up after about 2 minutes.

Don’t see any drops on their peering sessions, but that’s not to say prefixes weren’t withdrawn or some other routing issue didn’t interfere on their while traffic found another route. 2-3 mins is the usual expiry time on BGP routes and would explain the short delay. Our probes on 1.1.1.1 don’t show any drop outs, just a momentary (few mins) spike to 40ms around this time today, so I think this was isolated to the CDN itself.

Seeyou

Expert Member
Fellow Octotel trauma victims:

Dear Octotel clients,

Octotel engineers will be performing route maintenance in the Harfield area in Rondebosch precinct The maintenance is to fix our core fibres which have been identified during the testing phase.

Date: Wednesday, 22nd September 2021
Time: 00am - 6am
Duration: 6 hours

The roads affected by the maintenance is as follows:

Kenilworth Rd / ave
Rosmead ave
Graceville Building
2nd Avenue
Leicester ave
Third Ave
Dungannon Str
Alexandra place
Peffers
Dingle Ave
Twilley Str
Wessels Rd
Derby road
Gordon Rd
1St Ave
Baronrath Rd
Newark Rd
Mckinley Rd
Devon
Peffers Rd
Tweed Rd
Jesmond Road
Doncaster Rd
Lancaster Road
Arena Rd
Marsdiep Mansions
Sutherland Rd
Worcester
Grant Rd
Arena Rd
Lomond Rd
Purley road
Bell rd
Durham/St Denis/ St Michaels
Cook / St David's/ Mons/Princes
Bedford/Devon
Norfolk
Wesley
Norfolk Rd
Glouchester
Carlton Rd
Mathew Rd
Derby Road
2nd ave surrey

Our Engineers will be on site to ensure down time is kept to an absolute minimum. During this time customers may experience intermittent to no connectivity.

darrencon

Is anyone here in the Northriding area using the Websquad 1000/500 service on Evotel? If you do a speedtest, do you get anywhere near those speeds? Even when it was 1000/100 I was having issues. I am currently getting Down 391.76 and up 75,05 plugged in directly to my CPE via a LAN cable.

ijacobs3

Expert Member
Is anyone here in the Northriding area using the Websquad 1000/500 service on Evotel? If you do a speedtest, do you get anywhere near those speeds? Even when it was 1000/100 I was having issues. I am currently getting Down 391.76 and up 75,05 plugged in directly to my CPE via a LAN cable.
try download tcp optimizer from the speedtest site, let it do its magic, and then try again

Seeyou

Expert Member
try download tcp optimizer from the speedtest site, let it do its magic, and then try again

No matter how many times I run TCP Optimizer, click Optimal, have it apply and reboot, when I re-open the program and compare Current to Optimal again, the current settings are still what they were before. This is while running as Administrator. Strange program.