Web Squad ISP

JOEY_8

I've been noticing that whenever the loadshedding starts in general, my internet becomes very unstable (even though my area has electricity). It's doing that today and did it the last time loadshedding started (a few weeks back).

DSTV Now keeps buffering randomly and isn't smooth. Zoom meetings keep disconnecting randomly.

I'm not really sure what's to blame but I know it's not an issue on my side.

websquadza

WebSquad
Company Rep
I've been noticing that whenever the loadshedding starts in general, my internet becomes very unstable (even though my area has electricity). It's doing that today and did it the last time loadshedding started (a few weeks back).

DSTV Now keeps buffering randomly and isn't smooth. Zoom meetings keep disconnecting randomly.

I'm not really sure what's to blame but I know it's not an issue on my side.

This is one of those where correlation doesn’t always equal causation. If I remember, the issue the last time was widespread with trenched users and was (we believe) due to congestion on the vuma backhauls in KZN. It’s possible that power issues led to one backhaul being down (and congestion again), but let’s first start with the obvious and check if you’re seeing any overt packet loss on your line. Run some MTRs to see this.

websquadza

WebSquad
Company Rep
Seeing this too. We've cleared everything we can at this point and suspect a hardware issue. Making a plan to get replacement kit installed. In the meanwhile services are being moved around as best as possible without causing disruption. Will update with timelines asap.

Update here: we swapped services to another device early this morning. Monitoring closely.

Seeyou

Expert Member
Update here: we swapped services to another device early this morning. Monitoring closely.

This has clearly been like this for a while because damn, online gaming feels SO much better now than it has for the past few weeks. Going to tentatively say it's looking good. I'm just annoyed I didn't notice the PL earlier.

ijacobs3

Expert Member

Quick question, taking such a large area “offline” for what appears to be 4 days, is this a normal occurrence for Vumatel? Could they not do this maintenance at night ( like after 9?)

Hi there,

In an effort to always provide you with stable fibre connectivity, Vuma is continually making network improvements.

We have scheduled maintenance in your area from 25/10/2021 till 29/10/2021. Your internet service will be affected during this time and you will experience internet downtime for at least 3 days. Once the maintenance is complete, your connectivity will be restored.

We are aware of the current situation which COVID poses and assure you that we will take every care to ensure minimal internet downtime.

Should your internet connectivity not be restored by 01 November, please contact us directly via schedulemaintenance@vumatel.co.za. When emailing us, please include your address and contact details so that we can reach you. We have created this channel specifically to assist you as quickly as possible in case you have any issues following this scheduled maintenance.

We sincerely apologise for any inconvenience this may cause and thank you for your patience. “

My director is having a meltdown about this , now, I’ve got a plan b, which is cellular, but it’s not going to be a cheap alt plan for the duration

JustAnotherSouthAfrican

This has clearly been like this for a while because damn, online gaming feels SO much better now than it has for the past few weeks. Going to tentatively say it's looking good. I'm just annoyed I didn't notice the PL earlier.
Tonight I'm getting packet loss on CSGO like crazy. Much worse than before where I've never gotten any pl

Seeyou

Expert Member
Quick question, taking such a large area “offline” for what appears to be 4 days, is this a normal occurrence for Vumatel? Could they not do this maintenance at night ( like after 9?)

Hi there,

In an effort to always provide you with stable fibre connectivity, Vuma is continually making network improvements.

We have scheduled maintenance in your area from 25/10/2021 till 29/10/2021. Your internet service will be affected during this time and you will experience internet downtime for at least 3 days. Once the maintenance is complete, your connectivity will be restored.

We are aware of the current situation which COVID poses and assure you that we will take every care to ensure minimal internet downtime.

Should your internet connectivity not be restored by 01 November, please contact us directly via schedulemaintenance@vumatel.co.za. When emailing us, please include your address and contact details so that we can reach you. We have created this channel specifically to assist you as quickly as possible in case you have any issues following this scheduled maintenance.

We sincerely apologise for any inconvenience this may cause and thank you for your patience. “

My director is having a meltdown about this , now, I’ve got a plan b, which is cellular, but it’s not going to be a cheap alt plan for the duration

That's absolutely insane. Are you sure it's genuinely from Vumatel?

Fcon_Vpro

Expert Member

Hi there,

I got an sms with a bit less info. I didnt know the downtime will be at least 3 days. Luckily I made a plan for downtime, as long as Cell C or MTN dont go down I should be ok.
I take it you in the olivedale/jukskeipark/douglasdale region?
Good day. There will be scheduled fibre maintenance in your area[Johannesburg North] from 25 October 2021 to 29 October 2021. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. Kind regards, The Vuma Team.

That's absolutely insane. Are you sure it's genuinely from Vumatel?
Yip. I got similar message however via an sms.

websquadza

WebSquad
Company Rep

Hi there,

Sorry for the late response here.

We've seen this kind of notice from them before, but never ones that explicitly say you'll be down for 3 days. These maintenance notices usually mention sporadic outages while services are cleaned/repaired. We've sent our account manager a message to find out more.

ijacobs3

Expert Member
Sorry for the late response here.

We've seen this kind of notice from them before, but never ones that explicitly say you'll be down for 3 days. These maintenance notices usually mention sporadic outages while services are cleaned/repaired. We've sent our account manager a message to find out more.
Thank you :)

Seeyou

Expert Member
Looks to be back @websquadza. Not as bad as before but definitely noticed it again, which is what prompted me to trace. Seems to be steadily increasing over time, perhaps with usage?:

1635155797705.png
1635155883196.png

Edit: I see this is actually a different node this time.

Last edited: