WebAfrica - Can't cancel fraudulent service & debit order

livw88

I was a WebAfrica customer years ago, but cancelled all of my services end of 2016. I have an email from them dated 1 January 2017 confirming this.

So in May 2021 I'm randomly checking my bank statements and see a WebAfrica fee on there and it actually goes back to 2 January 2021 (my fault for not checking my statements each month). I immediately get in contact with their billing department via whatsapp (only way you can) and was told that I reactivated the service again in November 2020. I did not as I don't even know the login details anymore for the email address or their customer zone. So how did the service and debit order get activated again? According to their website a debit order mandate form will be read to you by a sales agent when signing up telephonically or it's a T&C you must accept when signing up online - neither of these happened.

So the guy I spoke to on whatsapp cancelled it on my behalf and send me a confirmation email stating it's scheduled to be cancelled the same day (27 May) - this was send to my Gmail. On 2 June the debit order goes off again, but I think sure it takes a few days or weeks to cancel it as they need a calendar month notice to process.

This morning I check my statements again and won't you believe it, the same debit order went off again. I contacted them again via whatsapp (only way you can) and that person says the service is still active and that's the reason for the debit order, but she will try to cancel it.

I would like to know:
  • Is there another way to get in contact with someone there? Phone, Email or a support person on MyBB?
  • How do you cancel a fraudulent service and debit order with WA if they apparently can't do it themselves and I don't have access to my email or customer zone anymore?
  • What about the money they have taken out of my account since January?
  • How do I request them to delete all my personal and banking details from your system as they can't be trusted with it anymore?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

rh1

Expert Member
File a complaint with ICASA/ISPA against WebAfrica and ask the bank to blacklist any transactions from them.
This, contact your bank indicating the fraud. Yes, it is fraud as per SA common law. Not a lawyer so dont take my word for it.

livw88

UPDATE

So I contacted them again this morning to check if they cancelled my services on Friday as they said they would - nope, everything is still active!

I've been on their whatsapp chat for the past 3 hours today and they just keep transferring me to "other" departments without helping me. Each time they wait exactly 1 hour before replying to my messages (guess it's an internal timer that they must reply within). I even requested contact details for a manager/supervisor I can escalate this matter to, no luck. I also send a Private Message to the "WebAfrica Helper" user on MyBB with no feedback at all.

So it's very clear that Webafrica is not going to cancel the fraudulent services and debit order that I have requested numerous times.

I will now be lodging a formal complaint of fraud against Webafrica with ICASA and blacklist any future transactions from them with my bank.

How they are allowed to do business with the public is beyond me.

kombi-man

Dude, I feel your pain. ESPECIALLY the fact you cannot contact these muppets any other way except via their rubbish Whatsapp system.. I've now taken to twitter as well.. I only left them last month, but they've taken off another month's subscription, etc etc.
My next stop is to go change my account details at the bank. That should end it. But would like to know HOW we contact them directly!

adrcl

I had issues with Webafrica.
Contacted them on their Sales phoneline which they answer in minutes.
Refused to go off the line until it was resolved.
Felt bad for the guy on the other end but there was no other option.

kombi-man

They've got sharp with that stunt, they now ATTEMPT to transfer you to support, which counts you down as a user, and after about 5 minutes, drops the line!

RandomGeek

Expert Member
Make a scene on facebook/twitter/linkedin. Not pretty but effective if their other channels do not bear fruit

livw88

Make a scene on facebook/twitter/linkedin. Not pretty but effective if their other channels do not bear fruit
Unfortunately I do not have any social media profiles (by choice, except for MyBB), so that option is unavailable.

After waiting for 4 hours today I "chatted" to someone there after being transferred all over the place and they assured me it will be cancelled today and they will also delete my personal/banking details from their system. Don't have high hopes of this actually happening so I will contact them again tomorrow to check as I have not received any email confirmation as yet for this third cancellation request.

I have in the meantime lodged an official complaint for fraud with ICASA and I'm keen to see what will happen...

RandomGeek

Expert Member
Unfortunately I do not have any social media profiles (by choice, except for MyBB), so that option is unavailable.

After waiting for 4 hours today I "chatted" to someone there after being transferred all over the place and they assured me it will be cancelled today and they will also delete my personal/banking details from their system. Don't have high hopes of this actually happening so I will contact them again tomorrow to check as I have not received any email confirmation as yet for this third cancellation request.

I have in the meantime lodged an official complaint for fraud with ICASA and I'm keen to see what will happen...
Best of luck!