Webafrica - Double natting

Marsie27

Not relating to this specific query, but I sent WA Helper a DM last week and I got a prompt response and a satisfactory resolution to the issue.

Go†h_Li†e°²

It is BS that ISP's are blaming IPv4 exhaustion, if that was the case then IPv6 would be the next logical move, GNAT/LSN is a move to prevent peeps using thier home lines for business. Basically removing our freedom to do what we want with our internet connections. I am surprised there isn't more of an outcry.

ThusoISP

Hello to all :)
Yup, we have indeed begun using CGNAT on our network and while it won’t affect all users, all of the time, it may affect some. This is because our IP addresses are handed out randomly and we currently use a mix of both normal public IPs and CGNAT IPs.

As already alluded to by @AfriNatic :notworthy:, the reason for CGNAT being used is simply due to exhaustion of IPv4 address space, this is not unique to Webafrica or South Africa – ISPs around the world have been pushed to use CGNAT for some time now.

In essence, the world has run out of IPv4 addresses, it is becoming almost impossible to purchase more IP addresses in the v4 space :unsure:and given that there has (for whatever reason) been very little uptake on IPv6 space, which was actually designed to address issues of this nature, ISPs have been left with no option but to use CGNAT while IPv6 grows in popularity.

Most customers will not feel any difference between being on CGNAT vs having a normal public IP. The only time this would be noticeable would be in cases where you’re hosting content behind your router and you want this content to be freely available online. For example, CCTV cameras.

Webafrica is happy to help any customer who specifically cannot use CGNAT due to these reasons and we have an option to turn CGNAT off for your profile.

While we're working to make a toggle option available on our Customer Zone, in the meantime this would need to be performed on an Adhoc request basis. :)

Please DM us should you be on CGNAT and wish to be turned off and we'll take care of it for you.

Hope the above addresses all concerns around CGNAT, please feel free to let know via DM if you require any further help

Regards,

Webafrica
Webafrica is happy to help any customer who specifically cannot use CGNAT due to these reasons and we have an option to turn CGNAT off for your profile.No one at Webafrica seems to know this. We had a Vumatelbusiness fibre switched to a nat ip. Not acceptable, they lost use of their phones and work at home people lost their in house email server

WebAfrica Helper

Web Africa representative
Webafrica is happy to help any customer who specifically cannot use CGNAT due to these reasons and we have an option to turn CGNAT off for your profile.No one at Webafrica seems to know this. We had a Vumatelbusiness fibre switched to a nat ip. Not acceptable, they lost use of their phones and work at home people lost their in house email server
Hi there, so you know due to a migration we had to move a portion of our Vumatel clients in CPT to another (improved) part of their network last week and had to move these customers onto CGNAT temporarily. We plan to move them back off CGNAT in about 2 weeks.

Just to ensure we all are kept in the loop :)

kitkat+

Everyone is moving to CGNAT due to v4 exhaustion, there is technically nothing wrong with it. We will probably implement the same but with an option to have a public if you need it.
What is the ip range of CGNAT ?

emeyedeejay

100.64.0.0/10
What is the ip range of CGNAT ?
100.64.0.0/10 so 100.64.0.0–100.127.255.255

Currently experiencing this issue and trying to get my profile set to non-CGNAT on WhatsApp ... so crazy that this info was not communicated. I can understand that probably 90% of ISP customers wouldn't have noticed a thing but for others, it's been days of troubleshooting and frustration.

WebAfrica currently issues a 100.69.x.y to me.

KoerantZA

100.64.0.0/10

100.64.0.0/10 so 100.64.0.0–100.127.255.255

Currently experiencing this issue and trying to get my profile set to non-CGNAT on WhatsApp ... so crazy that this info was not communicated. I can understand that probably 90% of ISP customers wouldn't have noticed a thing but for others, it's been days of troubleshooting and frustration.

WebAfrica currently issues a 100.69.x.y to me.
I am also in the same boat. Tried support on WhatsApp twice, first time I was told to restart my router and second time I was told that I would have to get a 3rd party technician to come and sort it out for me. Then I discovered this thread.

I really need to forward ports.

Did you manage to get it sorted on WhatsApp?

emeyedeejay

I am also in the same boat. Tried support on WhatsApp twice, first time I was told to restart my router and second time I was told that I would have to get a 3rd party technician to come and sort it out for me. Then I discovered this thread.

I really need to forward ports.

Did you manage to get it sorted on WhatsApp?
I think it's being sorted. I also got the brush-off initially screenshots of IP4 exhaustion, carrier-grade NAT (CGNAT) but fortunately, during that lengthy WhatsApp session, I was also googling and also found this thread.

It seems WebAfrica is able to flag an account to get a true public-IP and not a CGNATting one.

I know it's a complete pain, but I rebooted my ONT a few times and got a public address eventually.

Private message @WebAfrica Helper with your account details etc.

Hoping this gets sorted today.

MightyQuin

Not amused...
I think it's being sorted. I also got the brush-off initially screenshots of IP4 exhaustion, carrier-grade NAT (CGNAT) but fortunately, during that lengthy WhatsApp session, I was also googling and also found this thread.

It seems WebAfrica is able to flag an account to get a true public-IP and not a CGNATting one.

I know it's a complete pain, but I rebooted my ONT a few times and got a public address eventually.

Private message @WebAfrica Helper with your account details etc.

Hoping this gets sorted today.
We've been battling with this kak for months...no resolution. Have spoken to WA numerous times.

Gimli

I see they have flicked the switch and activated IPV6. Their %IPV6 capable users have skyrocketed to 14% basically in the last month. Can anyone confirm?

Screenshot from 2021-05-29 17-07-49.png

Gimli

If you search for APNIC IPv6 statistics you can drill down to country and then ASN level. Very interesting also how they measure

Katoolsie

Im also having the same issue.
Since yesterday none of my port forwarding or remote access works anymore.
I use No-IP (similar to dyndns), but the WAN IP on my router and the public IP that No-IP detects are completely different.

On the phone with WA support now. They are checking if theres something they can do. Carrier-grade NAT is a huge f*ckup if you need to access stuff remotely

The guy Im speaking to says WA does not offer static IP's at all (even if you are willing to pay for it)

Last edited:

blunt

Expert Member
I use No-IP (similar to dyndns), but the WAN IP on my router and the public IP that No-IP detects are completely different.

On the phone with WA support now. They are checking if theres something they can do. Carrier-grade NAT is a huge f*ckup if you need to access stuff remotely

The guy Im speaking to says WA does not offer static IP's at all (even if you are willing to pay for it)
send a PM to @WebAfrica Helper
side note - do you have ipv6?

best option is to just change to Afrihost or Cool Ideas.

MightyQuin

Not amused...

Same here. We gave up on WA fixing this. I am quite sure that it is something outside of their control.