Webafrica in trouble over “Effing Fast Internet”

Cray

Honorary Master
the first complainant said he had to explain to his daughter what “effing” means when they drove past the Webafrica billboard.
God help him when he has to explain about sex...

R4ziel

If your kid hasn't heard it somewhere on TV or in movies, or just in the general world even maybe it is an opportune time to explain such language to the sheltered bundle of joy.

I know some people find effing stupid things offensive, but you honestly cannot go a single week without hearing any derivative of the F-word.

wizardofid

Expert Member
What the effing hell is wrong with effing people, the very same people that watch skiet, skop and skeet, flieks who have no issue with some effing loser getting graphically and gruesomely shot in the effing head.

effing hate those effing people, if they could just effing mind their own effing business and stop effing around with effing things.\

To effing soon ?

saor

Honorary Master
It's a silly thing to complain about.

However, I kinda agree with the ruling. Everyone knows what 'effing' means. It's stupid to say you can't use '****' in an advert, but you can use 'effing', which is basically the same thing. Which brings us to the ridiculous regard people have for 'proper' swearwords like ****, **** and ****, but they're totally fine with the cutesy swearwords like 'effing'. They're all just noises made with meat and air. There's no inherent difference between a meat/air noise that sounds like '****', and a meat/air noise that sounds like 'effing'. But if we're going to create advertising rules where the meat/air noise '****' isn't allowed - because that particular noise is considered swearing, then the meat/air noise 'effing', which is just **** by another name, should also not be allowed.

****ing censorship stars everywhere.

Last edited:

Agent_Smith

Honorary Master
Who is the ISP that uses the term 'motherbuffer'? I think they got a complaint or two about it and it was thrown out. Surely the same will happen here?

Cray

Honorary Master
Stupid advertising, although it is successful by getting us to talk about it.

Seems like ASA applied some double standards here however, as MWeb got away with it.
The Mweb one is a lot more subtle, mother buffer has a perfectly legitimate meaning apart from the allusion to a swear word. I imagine WebAfrica would have had to explain what other meaning "effing" could have in this context.

saor

Honorary Master
The Mweb one is a lot more subtle, mother buffer has a perfectly legitimate meaning apart from the allusion to a swear word. I imagine WebAfrica would have had to explain what other meaning "effing" could have in this context.
Agreed.
If there's no other meaning, and effing just means ****, then I agree with the ruling (although it's not something I have a problem with).

R4ziel

Sure! Sure! Kids need and invitation to use profanity :rolleyes:

Ever drove past a school lately?
I agree with this, some of the kids you hear online lately surprise me with new words and I thought I knew them all.

A few years ago sometimes you would find a kid cursing into his mic like a sailor, and just mute him, these days even younger kids make me turn voice comms in game completely off, I use Discord for the people I want to chat to, the others I don't want to hear.

wizardofid

Expert Member
Lol just reminded me my brother's little one uses "oh fudge" quite a lot, he is 7 and definitively street smarter then kids his age.