Webafrica throttling torrents on RAIN

qwerty123

I would strongly advise anyone against getting LTE-A through webafrica if you are planning to make use of p2p.

Torrents are being throttled to +/- 100 kB/s, everything else seems to be working fine.

It's kind of ridiculous if you take into consideration that you are on a *very* small capped plan.

Could Afrihost users on the RAIN network share their experiences (regarding p2p)? Is it also throttled?

Thanks!

Dretastic06

I normally don't do P2P but on Afrihost its not throttled get about 4-5 down.

dee4dog

I get 3-5 MBps down with Afrihost

Last edited:

Totempole

Expert Member
I would strongly advise anyone against getting LTE-A through webafrica if you are planning to make use of p2p.

Torrents are being throttled to +/- 100 kB/s, everything else seems to be working fine.

It's kind of ridiculous if you take into consideration that you are on a *very* small capped plan.

Could Afrihost users on the RAIN network share their experiences (regarding p2p)? Is it also throttled?

Thanks!
Just make sure you're not limiting your upload to something stupid like 1KB/s. P2P apps tend to "punish" you for that by limiting your priority as a peer.

I've seen a lot of people on here complain, only to figure out that this was the reason for it.

qwerty123

Just make sure you're not limiting your upload to something stupid like 1KB/s. P2P apps tend to "punish" you for that by limiting your priority as a peer.

I've seen a lot of people on here complain, only to figure out that this was the reason for it.
I made quite sure that there's no limit in place. Tested on more than one machine. What confirmed it for me was as soon as I connect through my phone the torrent speed jumps from 100kB/s to 1MB/s+.

Quicks

I am with Afrihost also getting +- 100kb lately.

I wonder if this has got to do with Rain mobile launch.

Last edited:

dee4dog

Yep seems Afrihost is throttling as well, only getting +- 100kB latley :mad:

WaxLyrical

Honorary Master
Rain simply can't afford uncapped mobile so it had to happen.
Or even the small cap you're getting.

Test from 12am onwards.

bboy

Expert Member
Yea, also getting terrible speeds on afrihost fixed LTE

CataclysmZA

Expert Member
I am with Afrihost also getting +- 100kb lately.

I wonder if this has got to do with Rain mobile launch.
Yep seems Afrihost is throttling as well, only getting +- 100kB latley :mad:
Rain simply can't afford uncapped mobile so it had to happen.
Or even the small cap you're getting.

Test from 12am onwards.
Yea, also getting terrible speeds on afrihost fixed LTE
Do youi all get this while testing right now, or does it happen all throughout the day?

dee4dog

Seems to be shaped between 18h00 and 23h00. right on the clock 23h00, i'm back to 3MBp/s.

CataclysmZA

Expert Member
Seems to be shaped between 18h00 and 23h00. right on the clock 23h00, i'm back to 3MBp/s.
Makes sense to me. Streaming video hits its peak during this time, so deprioritising all traffic that isn't real-time is a good idea. Plus, I think they're still going through the stages of planning for more bandwidth as more users join the network.

dee4dog

[insert sarcasm] Good news everybody!!! Seems you only have to hard reset you modem to not be throttled!!

"Hope you are well today and apologize for the inconvenience there.Please try to follow the steps bellow to try and resolve the issue there.
What you can do for me is do what we call a hard reset, Behind your router there next to the power cable, if you using the B315 router and **the B618 underneath the router** which should be black there is going to be a hole which you should poke, or use a hairpin and hold for like 10 seconds. The router will start to flash and try to re-establish its connection."
...bla bla ,bla...bladie bla

Stock standard, clueless responce from Afrihost on my support request regarding throtteling

Quicks

So all my Rain capped data is basically night data now, as I work 08:00 to 18:00. And used to do all my stuff between 18:00 23:00. That's nice of them! At least I can cancell 6 month is up. Will check out Cell C?

dee4dog

So all my Rain capped data is basically night data now, as I work 08:00 to 18:00. And used to do all my stuff between 18:00 23:00. That's nice of them! At least I can cancell 6 month is up. Will check out Cell C?
Will give them a week or so hopefully it is temporary! Then investigate cell c. Who are their resellers?

Napalm

Expert Member
Ye... they prolly shaping accross the board. Now onboarding all these Rain mobile users with their R250 uncapped between 11pm and 6pm the next day (a 19hour window). That is slowing down the network... even through those users are also shaped heavily ... the massive amount puts a strain on the whole .

CataclysmZA

Expert Member
For those of you complaining about shaping, which protocols are seeing the slowdown? Has anyone tried to see if Netflix is affected as well?