WebAfrica/Vumatel - Any international download issues?

ttheron

Is anybody else having issues with Webafrica international download speeds, specifically on the Vuma infrastructure?
I've consistently had trouble on my 20mbps line since getting fibre a month ago, especially during peak periods (7-9 in the evening). Speedtests to both London and New York come back horrendous (0.5-1.5mbps), whilst local speedtests are fine. I stream a lot of Twitch, and since switching from adsl it has become unwatchable.

It has taken me three weeks, 2 hours on the phone with Webafrica and multiple (often repeat) exchanges with the support desk in order for them to finally acknowledge the problem, but it has once again gone quiet... I just can't bear being put on hold again for 15 minutes!

Vumatel has been absolutely fantastic in their response, with a technician at my home within hours of it being escalated to them (After two weeks with webafrica). It is definitely not the local infrastructure, and the ftp download test Webafrica had me do points to an upstream issue with Internet Solutions.

What's annoying is that my 20meg line performs worse than a 4meg webbafrica ADSL line on international downloads, and significantly worse than the neighbour's Cellc 20mbps line.

Anybody? Anybody?

flamevector

cant say i have had this issue im on Vumatel no problems whats so ever however i am using Crystalweb as my ISP. as soon as i psuh play on anything i stream 1080p no matter where from.

air

Expert Member
@ttheron, welcome to my world bud, make yourself comfortable, these things take time... (Vumatel/WebAfrica)
I have the exact same issue as you, on a 50Mb line, I am getting max 5 to 12% of what I pay for for prime time international downloads.
I was told I am one of a few experiencing such issue, I guess not.

my morning speeds are better than my evening prime time speeds, sounds like a capacity issue to me? Web Africa still don't want to commit to any answer re my question.

ttheron

@air
My knowledge of virtual networks have long since left me. I'm however theorizing that the way Internet Solutions deal with webafrica/vuma traffic is different from how they deal with the webafrica/telkom dsl subset. It all smells of a faulty switch on IS (I'm even prepared to hazard an ip address by comparing DSL/fiber traceroutes) but whoethehell am i to tell them?

essop1@gp

I'm on openserve and Webafrica, last night was horrible, showmax streaming was barely happening, speedtest to JHB servers, nothing more than 1or 2 mbps on an uncapped 20mb line. Has been like that recently.

air

Expert Member
Strange, I was told I am the only person experiencing this, perhaps not.

jvk

Expert Member
I'm having similar issues especially after 7, cant even open up a webpage local or international - i sometimes refresh and it will open then lag loading the page but it definitely affects local as well.

whats worse is i just signed up with webafrica :( so if i cancel now i'll probably have to pay for the router and installation

if it continues i'll log it with webafrica and give feedback here
BTW this is the sharonlea/olivedale area also through vumatel and they just installed fibre in the area this year (February).

ttheron

I'm having similar issues especially after 7, cant even open up a webpage local or international - i sometimes refresh and it will open then lag loading the page but it definitely affects local as well.

whats worse is i just signed up with webafrica :( so if i cancel now i'll probably have to pay for the router and installation

BTW this is the sharonlea/olivedale area also through vumatel and they just installed fibre in the area this year (February).
If it is the same problem you will have a fast local connection (so local speedtests will come back with low latency and fast download speed), but international will be slow. do a speedtest to London and one to new york. If you see terrible download speeds, welcome to the club! Log a ticket and settle in for a long wait.

If your local speedtests are also bad, then it is probably a different problem entirely; Webafrica wll then probably need to escalate to Vuma to do a line check. I'd suggest just contacting vuma directly with a speedtest and asking them to check whether there is any serious signal loss on you local line. They respond quickly (albeit informally).

jvk

Expert Member

forgot i posted in here too, i started a new thread:

https://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php/901140-Webafrica-Weird-Issue-slow-and-browsing-non-existent-but-downloads-are-fine?p=20088054#post20088054