PsyLenT

Dear WebAfrica

I'm not going to go into the convoluted story - just basically that a friend and partner of mine has been trying to get a dormant domain of his transferred (with hosting) to WA on my recommendation from VOX for revival and use.

The domain for some reason needs to first be 'transferred' from some sort of holding state before VOX can manage/transfer it to another host which was the idea and reason for my recommendation. I advised my friend to approach WA first believing your customer service would be 110% - including communications with and on behalf of this potential client to their benefit - since this is your business and we do not know or understand what happens behind the scenes. While I understand the processes/complications involve the client and required action from VOX directly, I see no reason why you could not act WITH and on behalf of the customer as backup and know-how to get things done so you can proceed to do business with this potential client.

Instead, you shrugged, told him 'sorry - can't help you, VOX has to do a, b and c first, come back when you have abc and d. With that, you left the client on his own to deal with VOX who for all intents and purposes would have every reason to get this dormant domain and hosting account up to scratch and then do what it takes to retain the customer. Afterall - it's a lot more convenient NOT to change - especially if he/we're doing all the negotiation and legwork.

Nevertheless, upon an update enquiry with VOX RE the domain, VOX indicated that the domain is in the process of being transferred (from whatever holding point it had been in to VOX). He passed on this progress update to WA. All WA did was send a screenshot of a whois showing that it had not been transferred. "In the process of" is not "has been done" - your whois screenshot is a lazy canned response and frankly the most pathetic show of customer service or interest. Worse yet, the screenshot is probably the most customer service you've shown compared to the entire WA experience here.

Honestly, you've done nothing to make this customer perceive value and service in your brand. The only reason he's entertained you is because I'd boasted about WA's great service and assured him WA would take care of it all wherever possible, and be right with him wherever he needed to personally be involved. You've not offered poor customer service. You've offered NO CUSTOMER SERVICE.

You've done nothing but expect your products to make you 'the best choice'. Which you've never touted either, we only know of these products because we compared them from your website.

Web Africa is just another faceless, pretentious, dolled up with marketing example of 'we're doing well enough not to be the customer hero anymore'.

I'm going to start looking for options to move my own domains/hosting services to a provider that's more about people than show. Even if they screw up a little more or cost more - it won't take much to have more integrity than what you've demonstrated above. I cannot believe how bad you've become.

I've always believed in WA and thought of WA as among SA's best - consistently. SHAME! SHAME! SHAME!- etc.:mad:
Webafrica

Last edited:

Macho

I do not trust any South African company with my hosting or domains. I do everything using Godaddy in the US (have used them for over 10 years). Their prices are not bad and their service is great.

I hate typical South African service that companies like Web Africa give us.

Anthro

Expert Member
I have had decent service from Hetzner, but not in the full hosting platform. I don't even have a website - only using my domain for emails.
Actually considering moving to another provider "to try them out"
You have opened my eyes again, against WebAfrica as a host - or a provider of any sort.
They should go the way of the Dodo, continuing in this manner

Thor

Honorary Master
That is why you refer clients to domains.co.za and not WA/af and other ISP's

Thor

Honorary Master
I do not trust any South African company with my hosting or domains. I do everything using Godaddy in the US (have used them for over 10 years). Their prices are not bad and their service is great.

I hate typical South African service that companies like Web Africa give us.
Until go daddy steals your domains and related domains...

animehero

Expert Member
@OP im not entirely sure what you were looking for here.

Was Web Africa supposed to go in depth and explain all the background processes that VOX needs to do to get this working?
Or try to get VOX to do it on your partners behalf?

Im pretty sure they've assisted thousands of clients before, and people only openly *complain* on public forums when something goes wrong,so standard response churn would be a thing,probably thought the client was at least clued up on what can and cant be done from their POV

Im not taking sides here,but you should take some responsibility as well.You set the expectation bar to 110% afterall

PsyLenT

@OP im not entirely sure what you were looking for here.

Was Web Africa supposed to go in depth and explain all the background processes that VOX needs to do to get this working?
Or try to get VOX to do it on your partners behalf?

Im pretty sure they've assisted thousands of clients before, and people only openly *complain* on public forums when something goes wrong,so standard response churn would be a thing,probably thought the client was at least clued up on what can and cant be done from their POV

Im not taking sides here,but you should take some responsibility as well.You set the expectation bar to 110% afterall

Not that this really 'justifies' my POV from a strictly black and white perspective, but it's relevant none the less:

My point is that - compared to both past experiences with WA and ongoing experiences with other service providers - WA has completely lost that customer-driven edge and quality they excelled at. The approach from this particular chain of events hasn't done anything to forward themselves nor provide any reason why they would be worth the effort. I get that there's a line between customer service and coddling prospective customers - but doing nothing to attract and impress a potential customer, or show any drive to make a customer feel acknowledged individually nor assess how much guidance and follow-up a customer may need (not everyone knows wtf is actually happening or how any of it works) is simply filing the lead into the system, and expecting a website and ads to sell their services.

This is not how WA's competitors treat their leads nor customers. This is not how they market themselves. They advise, acknowledge, drive their product and brand awareness and follow through on this with their customer service. I understand that WA cannot take the place of the transferring customer - in no way does that stop them from being supportive. Regular follow-up, assistive information along the way at a level the client understands, and accountability intervals where they directly or by signalling the customer maintain follow-up's with the current provider. This keeps WA at the forefront of the experience in a great light, eliminates uncertainty and hesitation (which is more than enough to keep customers right where they are) and demonstrates no-nonsense intent to the current provider (whilst equipping the customer with sufficient knowledge to communicate with the existing provider in such a manner that they are taken seriously).

TLDR - I know.

Other half of my point - the direct referral to WA from my recommendation was wasted and despite having NO competition in this case, they still managed to blow the deal. If I oversold how great WA is to my friend when I recommended them - the onus is on WA to exceed expectations not lower mine.

The indifferent and disinterested handling of this potential customer comes down to how blatant and canned the response was to my friend updating WA on the progress - which was to say the actual transfer process to VOX has finally started (not finalized) - that is needed before a domain transfer can be done from VOX to WA - was met with a 'whois' showing that the transfer has not been done.

In other words, the interested would-be customer took the initiative to engage with WA to say "hey the ball is rolling, we're closer to getting my interests in your capable hands" and was met with an ignorant response as if to say "it's not done idiot, come back when it's done then we'll acknowledge you to do business."

Frankly - if they'd made any efforts to give any reasons why this transfer is worth the bother, or showed even the slightest bit of customer service, and responded to customer interactions that acknowledges the content not the subject - you'd probably have me thinking twice about creating this thread/rant. This is my experience. If WA can't be arsed well too bad. If it reveals an area they think is worth noting, great. I held WA in very high regard until this morning.

UssOP

What I have noticed recently is that there are lots of complaints about wait times to the support centre making things a lot harder for them to "hold the clients hand" through the process from start to finish.

Do you know for a fact that no helpful tips were given? Like included in this WHOIS screenshot you mention above did they say something like "once status A changes to B then you know it is transferred". Are they recruiting to help with the call load? From what I saw yes. Is there information about something like this on their website? They do have a knowledgebase that everyone can access.

In your friend's case this would apply to him: https://www.webafrica.co.za/knowled...ferring-international-domain-name-web-africa/

Now honestly I believe this can be improved as it should be "dummy proof". Pics and explanations of certain words can be included but my point here is that they are coming up with ways to lessen calls to the centre to help tackle the long wait time issue for others.

I too am not defending them in any way but everyone should look at the positive side. It is EXTREMELY easy to see how "crap" a company but no thought goes into how hard they work and that they are trying to improve. This would be across the board and not just WA.

Just as a heads up, they have an official thread which they are monitoring. Reason for this was also to not waste all their time looking around and searching for threads about them instead you can just post in their thread and they can assist. Another way of cutting time between assisting clients and potential clients.

Last edited:

animehero

Expert Member
@PsyLenT - I concede.You make very valid points,and I agree with them all.In the business world,if all products looks the same,the next best thing customers look for is customer support.Think its evident with E-tailers on this forum.WA should have taken the initiative to drive the process. Perhaps include @WebAfrica Helper in on this.Not that theres much they can do now,maybe they could change your mind in future.

@UssOP - Whoa! Slow down there buddy.OP does have a point,and should probably chat with WA helper about it. This is a hosting related query so I have asked the question in the webafrica thread (in the ADSL forum),cause its unclear as to what should be discussed there.
PS (off topic), Zoro rules :D

Last edited:

PsyLenT

@iDoS thanks for simplifying what I put into essays and that's my brief version :p Admittedly, I had no idea who/where to address the thread to - hoped my title would get WA's attention somehow lol. There's a lot they can do - definitely not too late and hopefully I'm the exception not the rule - everybody screws over someone somewhere. Restoring the interest to consider their services is the easy part. I'm not so forgiving about how highly I regarded them. Driving the process as you put it is invaluable to a business in a competitive industry. I see this in my line of work and simply having systems in place to manage comms, follow-ups triggers and preset materials is the difference between a 3 star realtor and a premier one. I can't see why that shouldn't apply here too.

But more importantly
Zoro rules

WebAfrica Helper

Web Africa representative
@PsyLenT We apologize for the way you and your friend were treated. Based on what we read we can assume that the guys here were not that helpful. Yes there are things that are out of our control and needs to be seen to by the client but suggestions and tips should be given so that the clients know what they should do next and when to contact us again if need be.

Feel free to subscribe to our thread and if possible please PM the ticket ID of the discussion between your friend and WA so we could deal with the way it has been handled.

The link to our thread: https://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php/875082-Official-Web-Africa-thread

Last edited:

PsyLenT

@PsyLenT We apologize for the way you and your friend were treated. Based on what we read we can assume that the guys here were not that helpful. Yes there are things that are out of our control and needs to be seen to by the client but suggestions and tips should be given so that the clients know what they should do next and when to contact us again if need be.

Feel free to subscribe to our thread and if possible please PM the ticket ID of the discussion between your friend and WA so we could deal with the way it has been handled.

The link to our thread: https://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php/875082-Official-Web-Africa-thread

Thank you @WebAfrica Helper - will send you the info and have subscribed. I appreciate the swift feedback - thanks to @iDoS too! :)