Website behind fake “80,000 ballot papers pre-marked ANC” article in deep trouble

PsYTraNc3

Expert Member
I hope all of these sites are investigated soon!
Getting so irritated with gullible people sharing fake stories on Facebook.

ActivateD

Expert Member
People are stupid in general, so no they didn't.

I was about to post this. People do not read the "SATIRE" part and just believe its true. But good that they arrested them there are some things I believe that shouldn't be a joke especially in Africa.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
There was no satire tag for that story on that website.

Excalibur

Executive Member
The website continues to publish fake articles, which include “Malema accidentally votes for the ANC”, and “Malema apologizes for voting for the opposition”.
:D

Ninja'd

A Djinn
Can't believe someone shared the story with the only other Google+ user.

koeksGHT

Dealer
But what are they prosecuting for? Would that not undermine free speech? It's not racist or provoking violence.

koeksGHT

Dealer
Perhaps read the article?

I see

The Electoral Commission reminded voters and the media that it is an offence in terms of Section 69 of the Municipal Electoral Act for anyone to make intentionally false statements with the intention of disrupting or influencing an election.

Does the electoral act apply to citizens?

Tns

Executive Member
aaaa but who is to say it's not actually true? well the marked part anyway

Slootvreter

Honorary Master
It's as if people WANT this kind of kack to be true.

Good, shut the fcking site down. It serves no purpose.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Did they not see the tag as "SATIRE"?

These websites are generating visits by sharing their articles on social media channels. There is no indication that it is a satire, and people on Facebook, Twitter, etc. hardly read an article which they will rather instead share, because click bait. Then you have a snowball…

A disclaimer to the article should be added, above and below, that the content is indeed satirical and that the website owner takes the responsibility, etc. which is also relevant to April Fools. Just by adding a category or tag which is named satire does not provide any clear indication. It is not only a bad practice; it is piss poor.