Wedding ring

Jings

Honorary Master
Because that is the farse.

The certificate itself isn't a reflection of actual market value, just insurance value to replace said ring.

You couldn't sell it even half the value on the certificate to the most accepting of jewelers unless you are talking about something truly special one of a kind running into the hundreds of thousands or millions of rand.
Wouldn't you classify an 80k ring as something special? At that price it's possibly custom made.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Wouldn't you classify an 80k ring as something special? At that price it's possibly custom made.
No, it's not actually all that special.

And you can get custom made for 15k or even half that.

You also I guess need to quantify custom made vs hand made which in most cases amounts to much the same thing.

Sadly whoever made it hardly ever counts for much and it's almost all about the diamond regardless of how spectacular the ring itself is.

The workmanship going into an 80k ring and a 15k ring will much the same, it's only the sum of the parts that differ.

Same way that very expensive wine and el cheapo wine ultimately cost much the same to get into the bottle (within reason of the same region of course)....it's just the marketing that dictates the selling price and how many people buy into the more expensive one being better.

Which is why a synthetic diamond would give you exactly the same perceived value without the price if you don't drink the Koolaid.

Jings

Honorary Master
No, it's not actually all that special.

And you can get custom made for 15k or even half that.

You also I guess need to quantify custom made vs hand made which in most cases amounts to much the same thing.

Sadly whoever made it hardly ever counts for much and it's almost all about the diamond regardless of how spectacular the ring itself is.

Which is why a synthetic diamond would give you exactly the same perceived value without the price if you don't drink the Koolaid.
Well people are willing to buy at any rate. Just checking the sales of diamond rings and other expensive jewellery on BoB is a good indication, and there are more expensive rings than 80K. Certification also points to authenticity, which makes a huge difference.

SAguy

Expert Member
Not advocating insurance fraud, but if it were to go missing and it was insured - that would be a better outcome.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Well people are willing to buy at any rate. Just checking the sales of diamond rings and other expensive jewellery on BoB is a good indication, and there are more expensive rings than 80K. Certification also points to authenticity, which makes a huge difference.
That is exactly where all the price fixing comes from and why it's considered such a scam.

There is no true value to any of it, it's all a fabrication of supply and demand due to the wonderful marketing and obfuscation of rarity by the likes of De Beers.

Certification is usually two things, authenticity and then value for insurance purposes.

The value stated is absolutely no indication of its actual worth for sale.

Also putting something up for sale and it being available doesn't equal people willing to buy. Obviously, there are people willing to pay that kind of money though as per the thread itself.

One thing is for sure that if my jewellery got stolen today or otherwise lost to me then I sure as hell won't be spending the money paid by insurance on anything near the same in value and rather use the money alternatively.

maumau

Honorary Master
Nobody will buy the diamond as they can't account for it's origins.

So they give you the value of the gold/metal.
I had no idea diamonds were monitored.

My late mom's rings must be worth plenty but they're pretty old so no certificates.

Jings

Honorary Master
That is exactly where all the price fixing comes from and why it's considered such a scam.

There is no true value to any of it, it's all a fabrication of supply and demand due to the wonderful marketing and obfuscation of rarity by the likes of De Beers.

Certification is usually two things, authenticity and then value for insurance purposes.

The value stated is absolutely no indication of its actual worth for sale.

Also putting something up for sale and it being available doesn't equal people willing to buy. Obviously, there are people willing to pay that kind of money though as per the thread itself.

One thing is for sure that if my jewellery got stolen today or otherwise lost to me then I sure as hell won't be spending the money paid by insurance on anything near the same in value and rather use the money alternatively.
I can imagine you purchasing precious metals in the form of coins instead of jewellery if you were ever paid out by insurance in lieu of stolen goods.

Jings

Honorary Master

My late mom's rings must be worth plenty but they're pretty old so no certificates.
Won't experts be able to tell by the cut of the diamond that the rings are antique?

I saw on Antics Roadshow that diamond cutting has seen development in the last 40 years.

Chinmaya

Any ring with stones has zero value unless the base is gold or platinum. You may get money for the metal but stones are just useless

Chinmaya

Are you saying diamonds have zero value?
Diamond has value for the shop seller. After that it is a mere stone which can not be sold for even 50% of the value unless intentional scam is done as indicated by other members.Precious metal beats inflation and not stones. It all depends on the class of people who can afford it and these stones not for everyone or for those who understand value of money.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
I can imagine you purchasing precious metals in the form of coins instead of jewellery if you were ever paid out by insurance in lieu of stolen goods.
No, not even that.

But would likely invest it yes.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master

Clearly never saw Blood Diamond or heard the term then?

Because of the existence of illicit diamonds the legal sales of them has become very complicated and unnecessarily expensive.

marco79

Expert Member
Post a pic of the ring? Let's see whether the ring could well be sold for close to R80k? In what condition is the ring and how old is it?

I'm sure someone here could see the difference between a R1k ring & a R80k ring.

maumau

Honorary Master

Because of the existence of illicit diamonds the legal sales of them has become very complicated and unnecessarily expensive.
Didn't see the movie but have heard the term Blood Diamond.

maumau

Honorary Master
Won't experts be able to tell by the cut of the diamond that the rings are antique?

I saw on Antics Roadshow that diamond cutting has seen development in the last 40 years.
One would think. Judging by what the others are saying though, it's a tricky business.

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
Nobody will buy the diamond as they can't account for it's origins.

So they give you the value of the gold/metal.

What utter nonsense...

Uncut diamonds from Africa are called blood diamonds in some instances IF they can be traced to war torn countries where it is used to buy arms etc.

It has nothing to do with OP, or anyone else, selling their diamond ring, FFS.

Sell your diamonds here ( after wiping the blood off them :rolleyes: ):

https://www.goldfin.co.za/service/diamonds/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIn-m80YWQ4gIVzr3tCh0yvw8pEAAYASAAEgI3jfD_BwE

http://www.sellyourdiamonds.co.za/how-to-sell-loose-diamonds/