Weed growers thread

smkungfu

Just a question for any growers, I bought a selection of fem and auto seeds, prior to them arriving I germinated a whole lot of good bag seed just to get back into the swing of things, all went well, perhaps too well as I have like 8 or 9 plants now. I don't mind the extra work, but here is my question:

All the seeds I bought are fem's, do I take the chance of having a potential male around them? Should I scrap the bag seed plants and just focus on the bought genetics. I don't know. Would be a shame to can these babies.

It's an outdoor / greenhouse grow btw.
I would proceed with the bag seeds. Just keep them seperate from fem seeds. At the end of your grow you can compare the two, plus you will have more plants to work with.

The Horseman

I would proceed with the bag seeds. Just keep them seperate from fem seeds. At the end of your grow you can compare the two, plus you will have more plants to work with.

Cool. Very keen to see how they turn out.

The_Mowgs

Honorary Master
Would someone explain what is wrong with male plants or why they can't be close to female plants?

The Horseman

Problem with being pollinated by a male is that the plants focus more on making seeds rather than making bud.

Last edited:

mister

Executive Member
And if they become pregnant?

If the plant becomes pregnant then it spends all it's energy making babies. What you would prefer is the plant to spend all it's energy producing sticky resin in the hopes of catching pollen!

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
got 6 little dudes coming up, about 6cm above soil level. (2 weeks old)
At what size can you tell the difference between male/female?
How do you spot the difference? Trees don't have testicles

Surv0

Executive Member
But what you do actually want is for your plants to rodelize which will produce straight femenised seeds. Some plants do this naturally, with stress and length of grow time, others need some chemical help.

You will know when your plant has been fertilised vs rodelized.. fertilized plants will produce weaker buds packed with seeds. Rodelized plants will produce seeds in certain locations, namely at the bottom for natural propegation and generally quite far into the maturing process of the plant. Rodelized seeds also have beneficial traits from the mother, including new traits based on the environment they were grown in. Importing European seeds could lead to plants with issue (not acclimatized to SA) and through breeding generations these plants can become perfect for the climate.

Surv0

Executive Member
got 6 little dudes coming up, about 6cm above soil level. (2 weeks old)
At what size can you tell the difference between male/female?
How do you spot the difference? Trees don't have testicles

Males in this case literally have balls.. its a very clear distinction between male and female. Checkout pictures on google for reference.

Females grow pistils which are quite clear early on (preflowers). Generally at week 4-6 you can pick up the sex, depending on how far the plant is into its vegetation stage. A plant can show even further down the line depending on light exposure, so you can force it to flower early vs stay in veg.

Males also grow quite fast, in order to produce the pollen needed to fertilise the female plant when its flowers are ready to receive them. Results in faster growth and fairly spaced out internodes.. generally the first sign.

Pineapple Smurf

Males in this case literally have balls.. its a very clear distinction between male and female. Checkout pictures on google for reference.

Females grow pistils which are quite clear early on (preflowers). Generally at week 4-6 you can pick up the sex, depending on how far the plant is into its vegetation stage. A plant can show even further down the line depending on light exposure, so you can force it to flower early vs stay in veg.

Males also grow quite fast, in order to produce the pollen needed to fertilise the female plant when its flowers are ready to receive them. Results in faster growth and fairly spaced out internodes.. generally the first sign.
Thank you, I have noticed my 1 plant has a brown ball on the tip of the leaf, was curious about that.

I planted the seeds in small pots using normal potting soil from Benbel.
Will upload pics when I get a chance to take some photos

Surv0

Executive Member
Thank you, I have noticed my 1 plant has a brown ball on the tip of the leaf, was curious about that.

I planted the seeds in small pots using normal potting soil from Benbel.
Will upload pics when I get a chance to take some photos

You definitely want to amend that.. find some decent compost and mix it in. Potting soil only has so much goodness and a cannabis plant needs the good stuff to give you the good stuff. Look into some liquid nutrients as well like Biobizz (organic). There are cheaper options and home made options, and mulching your garden refuse is great as well.

No idea what a brown ball is doing on the end of your leaf unless its a slight deformity or something.

Be careful with small pots, although good to manage moisture levels, they can restrict root growth which can stunt the plant. You want to make sure you transplant into a bigger pot before the main tap roots starts balling itself because it cant grow down.. the more down growth you allow, the more top growth you will promote. Low down growth will result in a weak, short plant.

Pineapple Smurf

You definitely want to amend that.. find some decent compost and mix it in. Potting soil only has so much goodness and a cannabis plant needs the good stuff to give you the good stuff. Look into some liquid nutrients as well like Biobizz (organic). There are cheaper options and home made options, and mulching your garden refuse is great as well.

No idea what a brown ball is doing on the end of your leaf unless its a slight deformity or something.

Be careful with small pots, although good to manage moisture levels, they can restrict root growth which can stunt the plant. You want to make sure you transplant into a bigger pot before the main tap roots starts balling itself because it cant grow down.. the more down growth you allow, the more top growth you will promote. Low down growth will result in a weak, short plant.

https://hydroponic.co.za/hydroponics/biobizz-bio-grow/
Not badly priced I guess seeing as it does get diluted heavily, work in Paarden Eiland so not far to go fetch.
Had no idea potting soil wasn't decent.

Will I be using this once a week or is this the replacement of daily watering?

Final Question: As I am growing upstairs in my flat on a window sill for now, will move to my small balcony outside when they can handle the wind, what depth pot should I get for this to grow into full adult size?

Surv0

Executive Member
https://hydroponic.co.za/hydroponics/biobizz-bio-grow/
Not badly priced I guess seeing as it does get diluted heavily, work in Paarden Eiland so not far to go fetch.
Had no idea potting soil wasn't decent.

Will I be using this once a week or is this the replacement of daily watering?

Final Question: As I am growing upstairs in my flat on a window sill for now, will move to my small balcony outside when they can handle the wind, what depth pot should I get for this to grow into full adult size?

Without actual compost in the mix, you may need to feed nutrients with each water, dilution can be low to start as they recommend and upscaling as the plant gets bigger. Bigger the plant, more nutrients it needs. You can pick up on nutrient deficiencies quite early on. Takes some time to get to know the signs and what the plant wants. remember you only need to water when it needs it. Be careful not to give too much water. you can over water easily and the plants will suffer greatly from it. Less is more in this case.

Hydroponic.co.za is great, shop is just up the road from me and they can help you with some organic amendments. Definitely get a big bag of worm casting and throw that in as well.

www.jamiesgardenshop.co.za - Jamie sells soil amending nutrient packs for +-R100 per pack. Each pack makes about 100lts of soil. You need compost, some perlite, and a brick of coco to then put it all together yourself. Best thing you can actually do for your plants. He lives in somerset west and is also open to giving you some assistance. Can talk organics and growing all day.

Regarding the pots, you can go from a fairly small pot, to a medium one and finishing off in a 10/20lt pot depending on your space available. I stick to 20/30lt fabric pots. Fabric allows the soil to breath and stop water from pooling at the bottom which the roots may not appreciate. You definitely go through more water, but the plants just love those fabric pots. Prevents balling of the roots and promotes feeder roots more.