• You are losing out on amazing benefits because you are not a member. Join for free. Register now.
  • Samsung Pay Giveaway - Win a Samsung Connect & Control Speaker and other prizes. Enter Here.
  • Audi e-tron Giveaway - Win prizes worth R3,000 Enter Here.

Weekend Holiday near Pretoria/Johannesburg

I want to go away for a bit possibly the end of October, beginning Nov.

Where do you guys think I should go that is about 2-3 hours away? I will most probably be going alone.

I do want a place that has some interesting sights but also doesn't have much cell reception, it can also have limited electricity.

bchip

Depends what you want to do

Magaliesburg, Hartebeespoortdam are close areas.
Parys is also nice.
Forum Homini is quite relaxing and has a great restaurant
As said by Luke, the Bela-Bela region has lots of game farms and no malaria (opposed to the Kruger)

These mentioned are all around a 1 hour drive

Mista_Mobsta

Dinokeng Game Reserve is fantastic for a close bushveld getaway. Quite a lot of fantastic accommodation with reasonable prices and Big5 reserve to boot.

diabolus

Executive Member
I guess other than the obvious Pilansberg type of places in the complete opposite direction: Dullstroom and further on towards Sabie,Graskop,Hazyview are really beautiful areas to visit. There's definitely spotty reception in the more remote lodges type of spots over there, outside of the towns mentioned. Lots of opportunity to drive around and see waterfalls and various lookout spots. If you're willing to drive a little from whereever you end up staying you can easily reach some of the most beautiful spots i've seen , just google "God's Window" ...

Last edited:
I took a week off last week, Day 1 ended up in God's Window, went to Joubert en Seuns, saw Mac-Mac pools, Mac-Mac falls, the Pinnacle on the way

Slept in Sabie on night 1. Had AMAZING food at the Wild Fig restaurant.

I also went to the Gorge lift on morning 2 and that was absolutely awesome!

Went to Swaziland for Night 2 and 3 here. amazing views, it was cold the days I was there, it was different not having any running water and electricity. and they made really good food!
Also if you do decide to goto Swaziland rather use the Oshoek gate and not Bulembu, that was a gravel road all the way to Piggs Peak, though it was a scenic drive, drove it with my little i10.

Night 4 I slept in Nelspruit. here. Amazing people who hosted me here.

I would recommend AirBNB to anyone wanting to stay over somewhere, it is an awesome app.