Weighing chips packets to test if you get what you pay for

Hanno Labuschagne

Journalist
Staff member
We weighed bags of chips to test if you get what you pay for

MyBroadband recently weighed the contents of different bags of potato chips and found that they closely match the mass advertised on the bag.

Chips are a go-to snack, whether as an appetiser while waiting for the braai or as something to graze on while watching the game.

Everyone has their favourite brand and flavour — but do you get what you pay for?

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Foxi nax salt n vinegar

I can still taste these chips,

Kreols_chips.original.jpg

Ecko_1

Wow they have been around for yonks early 90s sadly their foot print sort of end just past the vaal haven't seen foxi in nearly 20 years....
Chutney and salt and vinegar was the choice of flavor.
Can still get Foxi Naks in Durban. I know one garage in Durban North that always has stock

wbot

Executive Member
Wow they have been around for yonks early 90s sadly their foot print sort of end just past the vaal haven't seen foxi in nearly 20 years....
Could always buy some at my school's snoepie. Only salt and vinegar though. Was the #1 snack at my school along with King Pie russian rolls haha.

Haven't seen any foxi since I left school.

wizardofid

Executive Member
Can still get Foxi Naks in Durban. I know one garage in Durban North that always has stock

Sadly No one distributes or buys them here, because we are so close to the Lesotho border and BFN, niknaks brands are a dime a dozen.....Foxi wouldn't stand a chance. We do get spookies here which is a decent replacement sort of

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
Once found a packet of Simba that was 10 grams under weight, weighed it due to noticing it was somewhat empty on opening. Happens

Kieppie

Expert Member
This kicks your ass..........While this isn't the original.....I think it was called tango or some sort had two dancers on it...

View attachment 1141476
Yeah all the chains have their own version of this. Some use way too much seasoning. Pretty sure one of them just rebranded Tango, but dunno which one.

By the way can one still get those huge clear bags filled with curls? I remember they were sold at kafees or even small local fruit & veg type stores. I don't think they had an actual name?

ebendl

Expert Member

I can (and do) buy them from the local garage here in Garsfontein.

susefan

Was confused by the headline at first because I expected the word "chip" in a MyBB article to refer to semiconductors.

maxxis

Saw Foxi today in Irene at the BP.