Weighing chips packets to test if you get what you pay for

chrisc

Executive Member
Not the same product, but I happened to weigh a tub of Buttro which is now R81,00 at Pick n Pay. The 500gm tub weighed 494gm.

I weighed an empty tub with lid and this was 7gm. This means the content was 13gm short. Sure enough the next tub I bought was 493gm.

If they are selling 1000 a day (really conservative figure) this means the consumer is paying R2106,00 extra for a product they are not getting

PnP Constantia tried to brush it off as my faulty scale. Then they went to get one of their scales and 5 tubs off the shelves were all under 495gm. Still they refused to do anything about it on the grounds that "no-one else has complained"

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
Not the same product, but I happened to weigh a tub of Buttro which is now R81,00 at Pick n Pay. The 500gm tub weighed 494gm.

I weighed an empty tub with lid and this was 7gm. This means the content was 13gm short. Sure enough the next tub I bought was 493gm.

If they are selling 1000 a day (really conservative figure) this means the consumer is paying R2106,00 extra for a product they are not getting

PnP Constantia tried to brush it off as my faulty scale. Then they went to get one of their scales and 5 tubs off the shelves were all under 495gm. Still they refused to do anything about it on the grounds that "no-one else has complained"

The tolerance limits are surprisingly broad, and are done on a statistical basis, not just a small sample. UK rules:
There are 2 ways to pack your products.

Minimum system
You can pack your products so that they contain at least the quantity displayed on the label. The packages can contain more than the label says, but not less.

Average system
You can pack your products to an average measurement that is on the label. You must check your packages to make sure a random sample is packed to meet all these rules - known as the ‘three packers’ rules’:

- the contents of the packages must not be less, on average, than the weight on the label
- only a small number can fall below a certain margin of error, known as the ‘tolerable negative error’ (TNE)
- no package can be underweight by more than twice the TNE
Quantity in grams and millilitres TNE as % of quantity TNE in grams or millilitres
5 to 50 9 n/a
50 to 100 n/a 4.5
100 to 200 4.5 n/a
200 to 300 n/a 9
300 to 500 3 n/a
500 to 1,000 n/a 15

semaphore

Honorary Master
Wow they have been around for yonks early 90s sadly their foot print sort of end just past the vaal haven't seen foxi in nearly 20 years....
Chutney and salt and vinegar was the choice of flavor.
They sold at the spar near me, and sold in bulk near a shop in constantia Kloof , roodepoort.

Mekon

Expert Member
Tell me its a slow news day, without actually telling me its a slow news day.
I once bought a bulk pack of chicken breast fillets and after portioning them I weighed the punnet and brine left in the punnet 141 grams:sneaky:

richjdavies

Expert Member
The tolerance limits are surprisingly broad, and are done on a statistical basis, not just a small sample. UK rules:
Anyone know the equivalent to weights and measures regulations in SA?

In UK if you had an issue like this you would go to trading standards and they would come down hard!

wizardofid

Executive Member
I can (and do) buy them from the local garage here in Garsfontein.
Sigh perhaps you guys should look at my location.....just saying. Lol :D There is a distribution center in parys.....it doesn't filter further down into the bottom part of the freestate.

Readsalot

Expert Member
By the way can one still get those huge clear bags filled with curls? I remember they were sold at kafees or even small local fruit & veg type stores. I don't think they had an actual name?
You can still get them here and there. Saw a sweet shop selling them a few months go.

Grant

Honorary Master
Slowest news day ever.

MyBB tests the weight of NikNaks, only to find the weight is correct.

Next up :
MyBB carries out tests to establish if the average pizza contains cheese.

FaSMaN

Expert Member
I can still taste these chips,

Kreols_chips.original.jpg

Thank you so so much, I have been looking for the name of those chips for the last 5+ years, I could remember their taste , the fact that it was a round corn chip, and that I loved their taste, super fishy and garlicky, but could not remember their name!

rodga

Honorary Master
Thank you so so much, I have been looking for the name of those chips for the last 5+ years, I could remember their taste , the fact that it was a round corn chip, and that I loved their taste, super fishy and garlicky, but could not remember their name!
Iirc these were not round but more like nik naks?

RonSwanson

Executive Member
Thank you for a very informative consumer-focused article. At least now I know that I can trust Simba and Willards.

Can you please do the same with those 250, 500 and 1000g bacon packets? I usually buy large quantities for breakfast and I have reason to suspect that Eskort, Renown, Checkers and PnP are doing me short.

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
No Flanagans? Gaelic green onion is my go-to bag of chips these days...