Well done Home Affairs and Standard Bank

mr_norris

Expert Member
No "well done" from me. The pilot rolled out near the end of 2015. Almost 4 years later, you're still pretty screwed if you don't live in Gauteng / CT.

MidnightWizard

Expert Member
Their system to so stupid. They insist that you can only apply at a bank that you are a client of. This makes absolutely no sense whatsoever
OH
It makes a tremendous amount of sense -- for when the INTERNAL passport and residential restrictions come about.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
OH
It makes a tremendous amount of sense -- for when the INTERNAL passport and residential restrictions come about.
Those are already in place, they're just transparent to you. What do you think all the fixed cameras on the roads are about. They know where you are at all times.

I recently applied for my Smart ID card through the eHomeAffairs portal, and was surprised at how well it worked.

I booked and paid for my ID application via the Home Affairs website, and selected Standard Bank Centurion – which contains a Home Affairs office – as my application point.
I applied online for my son`s Irish Passport renewal. It took around 10 minutes and the return ( after I paid online) came back with tracking number....... In 2 1 /2 weeks I was contacted and sent the courier to pick it up. ALL WITHOUT LEAVING THIS DESK. I was able to track it all the way from Dublin to here smoothly. Now that my friends is SERVICE. What we have here is just making it difficult for everyone concerned.

randburgred

I recently applied for my Smart ID card through the eHomeAffairs portal, and was surprised at how well it worked.

I booked and paid for my ID application via the Home Affairs website, and selected Standard Bank Centurion – which contains a Home Affairs office – as my application point.
You are of course very lucky that you were born in South Africa For South African CITIZENS not born in South Africa you have to do everything through Home Affairs and in any event not even allowed a Smart Card

spectrum.1

I am not a client of Standard. Will never become one as a director is rabidly anti-white.
Only one so far in C Town & its standard. Will just have to wait till FNB or ABSA or Capitec become HA outlets in C Town.

Efficient home affairs.
Dear fellow South Africans,
I too have experienced the efficiency and warm courtesy of the department of home affairs when my family and I applied for our passports and smart Id's. Yes, we did spend hours in queues, but this was not due to any system problems or poor people performance. Everything and everyone was working at the Durban Central Office. The issue was just the mere massive number of applicants. In addition, the patience, warmth and Ubuntu of my fellow applicants in the queue reassured me that politicians aside, we South Africans can look forward to a bright future. Thank you Home Affairs for the positive and reassuring experience. The Dingley Family

Milano

Honorary Master
Partnering with banks was a good initiative. I look forward to the nationwide rollout by 2050.

AdrianH

Expert Member
Partnering with banks was a good initiative. I look forward to the nationwide rollout by 2050.
Yeah, maybe by then South African citizens born abroad might also be able to apply for IDs without having to go to HA.

Fiekus

Expert Member
Problem is, for over 18's you have to be a STD Bank client AND have Internet Banking. My daughter wanted to apply for her adult passport and although being a STD Bank client (savings acc), they would not allow her to apply online unless she had internet banking. I understand she has to make payment, but I do have internet banking, so give me a ref # and I'll make payment...but no :(

Milano

Honorary Master
Problem is, for over 18's you have to be a STD Bank client AND have Internet Banking. My daughter wanted to apply for her adult passport and although being a STD Bank client (savings acc), they would not allow her to apply online unless she had internet banking. I understand she has to make payment, but I do have internet banking, so give me a ref # and I'll make payment...but no :(
True that it requires internet banking - but with a twist. You supply your bank details online to DHA and then find an instruction created in your internet banking. Not the regular way you typically use internet banking. Not even the way you normally pay a beneficiary that has an institutional instruction in place, like SARS, Multichoice, and so forth. Not a debit order. Something else. So in that way it makes sense that only internet banking enabled accounts would qualify. Would surmise this system completely eliminates the possibility of human error from the process.

enigma025

I opened a standard bank account to make use of the one in Cape Town. Waited 5 min to capture biometrics and my documents were ready in just over a week. The longest time I spent in the home affairs office in the standard bank was the 10 min it took to pick up my documents. Honestly so efficient and easy to do.

Opening the bank account and setting up the Internet banking was more effort than the home affairs dealings
Hey - What kind of bank account must it be? I went to the Std Bank Canal Walk Branch and was told that I must open a savings account and transfer my salary into it... Is that true and accurate?

randburgred

Spare a thought for the second class South African citizen who is excluded from this process because they were not born in RSA but are naturalised South African citizens

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Hey - What kind of bank account must it be? I went to the Std Bank Canal Walk Branch and was told that I must open a savings account and transfer my salary into it... Is that true and accurate?
The salary part isn't true. Even if they insist it is, just open the account and tell them you will put salary in, but never give the instruction to HR for your salary to be paid in.

And my mother who is over 65 and thus gets a free ID, didn't even have to use her own bank to get her smart ID, because the payment transaction wasn't necessary.