Well point and boreholes in CT

signates

Executive Member
Been a while since I updated this thread.

I still haven't gotten a UV light for my water tank. I should be getting one before the end of the year.

The water meter is also performing well and my usage averages just under 500l per day with 4 people in the house.

First two pics shows my current daily usage. Last one is for the whole of September. Screenshot_20181005-164404_Chrome.jpeg Screenshot_20181005-164425_Chrome.jpeg Screenshot_20181005-164549_Chrome.jpeg

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
The water meter is also performing well and my usage averages just under 500l per day with 4 people in the house.

I wonder how long it will be before the council tries to impose a sewerage charge based on your borehole water consumption? /sarcasm

signates

Executive Member
I wonder how long it will be before the council tries to impose a sewerage charge based on your borehole water consumption? /sarcasm
They can try and see how far they get.

Its actually laughable that the sewerage charge is linked to water usage.

chickenbeef

Executive Member
Lol, wouldn't surprise me. I've been running off rainwater for the past 3 months with the municipal supply shut off but had to pay for 1KL usage each month. Their eServices doesn't allow you to enter a meter reading that's the same as the previous month.

3Gee

Expert Member
Got it from there.

That reminds me. I need to put in a review. I will definitely recommend them and this device.

Is this a once off payment or do you play monthly for the meter reading updates

signates

Executive Member
Is this a once off payment or do you play monthly for the meter reading updates
The initial purchase price for the meter includes the annual fee to access their system and get electronic readings for a period of 3 years. I enquired about the fee after the 3 years and they said it would be a couple of hundred rands to renew every year. The guy from the company couldn't give me the exact amount at the time.

signates

Executive Member
Just over four months now and savings has reached R10k based on current usage and water tariffs.

The system has just about paid for itself. I'm also not subject to water outages as they were busy with their pressure management and our area had some burst pipes. I can do without electricity for a prolonged time but not without water, especially with 2 kids.

It should also add some value to the property when I sell in about a year's time.

signates

Executive Member
How do you power the pump without electricity?
Don't have backup power yet.

We did have one power failure in the last 4 months that lasted a few hours. We used municipal water during the power outage.

I do have a 5kw generator if I really need backup power.

signates

Executive Member
Just had another visit from the municipality to check if the meter is faulty as they are recording zero usage.

They already replaced the meter a few months ago thinking it was faulty. I have registered the well with the City so not sure why they sending out the technical team again if they know that I'm using alternative water sources.

Maybe I should go back to just using 1kl of water every month from them.

Just had another visit from the municipality to check if the meter is faulty as they are recording zero usage.

They already replaced the meter a few months ago thinking it was faulty. I have registered the well with the City so not sure why they sending out the technical team again if they know that I'm using alternative water sources.

Think that would be safest. Avoid attention from the nosey government officials.

The_Mowgs

Honorary Master

Well, you dont have anything to hide so they can go and pleasure themselves. If they want to replace the meter again.

Next time they come invite them in to show them what is going on, perhaps one of them is smart enough to make a note about it.

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
Well, you dont have anything to hide so they can go and pleasure themselves. If they want to replace the meter again.

Next time they come invite them in to show them what is going on, perhaps one of them is smart enough to make a note about it.
What about the rule from the City that all borehole/well point usage has to be metered and logged every month?

Whatever came of that?

noxibox

Honorary Master
What about the rule from the City that all borehole/well point usage has to be metered and logged every month?

Whatever came of that?
Isn't it a central government rule? Doubt they have the resources to do anything about.

jdido87

I need some advise. I am looking a pressure reducing valve or similar to reduce the output pressure from the jet pump that will not damage the pump in the long run. I was advised against using a ball valve to reduce pressure. I want to connect the pump to a small irrigation system, two popups. The pump is rated at 8 bar and I can tell the pressure will be to much. It is much stronger than normal municipal pressure. Any ideas? TIA

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
I need some advise. I am looking a pressure reducing valve or similar to reduce the output pressure from the jet pump that will not damage the pump in the long run. I was advised against using a ball valve to reduce pressure. I want to connect the pump to a small irrigation system, two popups. The pump is rated at 8 bar and I can tell the pressure will be to much. It is much stronger than normal municipal pressure. Any ideas? TIA
Use a ball valve. It will be fine. I do it a lot. Jetpumps are designed to run against back pressure.