Well point and boreholes in CT

signates

Executive Member
The ONTEC water meter is working great.

Had a dripping tap and received an SMS from them of a possible leak. Fixed the dripping tap and everything is back to normal. Screenshot_20181220-091857_Chrome.jpegScreenshot_20181220-091910_Chrome.jpegScreenshot_20181220-092253_Messages.jpeg

Reactions: OCP

signates

Executive Member
Busy helping my neighbour with his well. He's had two guys digging the well and they managed to get water today at 2.5m. They will dig another metre with a total depth of 3.5m.

They will be doing a similar setup to mine.

Submersible pump > 3 stage big blue filter > 2 500l water tank with float switch connected to the submersible pump > jet pump with pressure tank > house.

Since July when I started using the ONTEC water meter, I have used 170kl of water from the well with a saving of just over R15k. This does not include the water that I use to fill up my pool as I topup my pool directly from the well.

chickenbeef

Executive Member
Had someone dig a wellpoint by me last week, gave up after not finding anything at 10 metres

signates

Executive Member
One year since I installed the GaugeIt water meter and I've used 243kl over the last year from my well and saving me about R22k in municipal water fees.

airborne

Executive Member
One year since I installed the GaugeIt water meter and I've used 243kl over the last year from my well and saving me about R22k in municipal water fees.
That's impressive, what do you use the water for everything barring drinking water?

signates

Executive Member
That's impressive, what do you use the water for everything barring drinking water?
Everything including washing, cooking and drinking. Pool is filled directly from the well so not included in the numbers above.

Edit: I have a water cooler dispenser with one of those filters that I fill for drinking water.

I also have a tenant in a garden flat since beginning of June this year that's pushed my daily average from about 500l per day to 850l per day.

airborne

Executive Member
Everything including washing, cooking and drinking. Pool is filled directly from the well so not included in the numbers above.

Edit: I have a water cooler dispenser with one of those filters that I fill for drinking water.

I also have a tenant in a garden flat since beginning of June this year that's pushed my daily average from about 500l per day to 850l per day.
Have you had the water tested for contaminants?

So apart from the water cooler the borehole water is used as it's pumped without any chemicals or filters?

signates

Executive Member
Have you had the water tested for contaminants?

So apart from the water cooler the borehole water is used as it's pumped without any chemicals or filters?
Had the water tested when I started the process over a year ago. Water quality passed the SANS241 codes regarding the chemical part but failed the biological test. I have a 3 stage big blue filter and UV light for the biological part. No chemicals needed but I do give the well a chlorine treatment every 4 months by taking a small scoop of chlorine and pouring it directly into the well, let it stand for a day and then pump it to the pool for a few hours.

Goobie

Expert Member
Had the water tested when I started the process over a year ago. Water quality passed the SANS241 codes regarding the chemical part but failed the biological test. I have a 3 stage big blue filter and UV light for the biological part. No chemicals needed but I do give the well a chlorine treatment every 4 months by taking a small scoop of chlorine and pouring it directly into the well, let it stand for a day and then pump it to the pool for a few hours.
It would be interesting to see what organic contaminants (pesticides, pharmaceuticals etc the stuff that SANS241 do not test for) are in there. If you failed SANS241 biological, chances are really good that you have a lot of it in there.

signates

Executive Member
It would be interesting to see what organic contaminants (pesticides, pharmaceuticals etc the stuff that SANS241 do not test for) are in there. If you failed SANS241 biological, chances are really good that you have a lot of it in there.
Don't think there's a lot of pesticides or chemicals.

Results below from the tests done. SANS241 requirements are in green. Posting from my phone so not sure if the pic is big enough.

signates

Executive Member
If interested in having it tested send me a PM. I'll do it for free if you'll pay courier cost of 2 x 500ml water bottles (1 from the well and 1 from after your filters) to Bloemfontein
Thanks. Might take you up as I need to have it tested again soon.

signates

Executive Member
So my Pascal(Local product) pump and pressure tank stopped working yesterday. Purchased in April 2018 and not sure if it has a 12 month or 24 month warranty. Paid R2k for it at the time and will find out about the warrantee next week.

Needed a replacement and got me the Tallas with digital pressure monitor but no pressure tank. Cost was R3 050. The new one is slightly less powerful than the previous one but not sure if the pressure tank helped the previous pump. I like the digital controls of the new one.

Will eventually get me a bigger pressure tank, maybe 150l or 200l pressure tank.

jsheed_sa

Executive Member
I'm jealous of the fact that you have water at such shallow levels.

I've got Ferricrete (koffieklip) so a well isn't really an option. That + the fact I had to go 18m deep with a wellpoint, which only gives me +-120L an hour...

Did 3 attempts at holes and this was the best I could get (CPT - Milnerton)

signates

Executive Member
Turns out the switch on the old pump was a mechanical pressure switch with springs that controls the on/off position of the pump. The contacts was fixed together in the off position and could not switch the pump on. The pump and pressure tank is still working so will look at getting a new pressure switch for the pump and keep it as a backup.