Well point and boreholes in CT

Paul_S

Expert Member
Wish I could dig a well but I live on a ridge and unless I hit a fountain of some sort which is very unlikely I would need to bore quite deep. I have a rainwater tank for essential water but that really doesnt last very long.

If you're a DIY type you could drill your own borehole using percussion drilling.
It's a slower process but is cheap and you can even drill through solid rock.
A borehole was hand drilled in China in 1923 to a depth of over 4000 feet (over 1200 meters) using percussion drilling so the method is very capable.

Some resources:

signates

Executive Member
So my pump will not be covered by the warrantee.

Cleaned out the pool and getting it ready for summer. Filling up directly from the ground with no filter and the water is crystal clear. 20201003_131513.jpg

Eric

Honorary Master
Today is day 3 that I am without municipal water. I've been using condensate from my a/c that I have been collecting this past week but it' is not sufficient for our daily needs. Only getting on average 35l per day from the a/c. I also have a 1 000l hopper bin with rain water that I'm using for the cisterns. One toilet however has a Geberit wall mounted push button flush that cannot be filled manually.

My opposite neighbour has a well point and this morning I went to collect some water from him and to look at his setup.

The well was installed before they moved in and has been in use for probably more than 10 years. It has been connected directly to their home and supplies them with all their water needs. They have closed the municipal water supply. The well water is not filtered or treated in any way with little to no iron content. It is just over 2.5m deep.

It was built using concrete pipes dropped into the whole that was manually dug out. The concrete pipes are 1m in diameter and about 0.5m long and stacked on top of each other. The water level has dropped only a few times since they've been using it and when it does, they climb down the whole and dig it a bit deeper.

I've contacted a few people that does well points and they are extremely busy with a waiting time of 2 weeks and more. I will be doing something similar soon and will post updates on the progress.

Will post some pics of my neighbour's setup later.
Funny. I saw a sign here in EL advertising borehole drilling. It was like those typical plastic signs put up by any other service provider outside a suburban home so I suspect they have one.
Definitely time to think about it I reckon.

jdido87

So my pump will not be covered by the warrantee.

Cleaned out the pool and getting it ready for summer. Filling up directly from the ground with no filter and the water is crystal clear. View attachment 926299
I am fitting a pool very soon in the new year. I will buy the kit and fit it myself. My question is around the water supply. I will use my wellpoint but the water seems to have a high iron content as the wall are turning brown and I had the wellpoint installed a month ago. I am in Thornton, Cape Town. Will a 3 stage big blue system take care of that problem?

signates

Executive Member
I am fitting a pool very soon in the new year. I will buy the kit and fit it myself. My question is around the water supply. I will use my wellpoint but the water seems to have a high iron content as the wall are turning brown and I had the wellpoint installed a month ago. I am in Thornton, Cape Town. Will a 3 stage big blue system take care of that problem?
I don't think the big blue triple stage filter will remove iron content.

Have you had the water tested yet.

I think you will need something like this to remove the iron content.

Can't vouch for the site and was one the first in a Google search.

jdido87

Thank you for the reply, I that not overkill as I am not intendingg to drink the water. I just want it cleaner in order to fill the pool. My brother who lives around the corner filled his pool with his wellpoint and had a massive struggle getting rid of the sediment that settled at the bottom of the pool afterwards. It clogged up his pools filter repeatedly. I am trying to a aid that issue. I do not want to fill up a pool with municipal water. I am planning on going off grid with the water supply however I have some building work that is going to occur over the next few months.

Paul_S

Expert Member

Alternatively you can possibly pump into a settling tank and wait for the iron to settle to the bottom before using the water from the settling tank (12 hours is long enough). Just be sure to drain the water above the bottom of the settling tank so the flow doesn't disturb the sedimentation on the bottom. Much cheaper than fancy filters. It may not remove everything but it gets rid of most of the iron in suspension. You may just need to clean out the bottom of the settling tank every few years.

jdido87

Alternatively you can possibly pump into a settling tank and wait for the iron to settle to the bottom before using the water from the settling tank (12 hours is long enough). Just be sure to drain the water above the bottom of the settling tank so the flow doesn't disturb the sedimentation on the bottom. Much cheaper than fancy filters. It may not remove everything but it gets rid of most of the iron in suspension. You may just need to clean out the bottom of the settling tank every few years.
That is an option but will take far to long to install the pool and that will become a problem during the installation process. I don't mind some sediment but I want to reduce the amount thereof significantly.

signates

Executive Member
Thank you for the reply, I that not overkill as I am not intendingg to drink the water. I just want it cleaner in order to fill the pool. My brother who lives around the corner filled his pool with his wellpoint and had a massive struggle getting rid of the sediment that settled at the bottom of the pool afterwards. It clogged up his pools filter repeatedly. I am trying to a aid that issue. I do not want to fill up a pool with municipal water. I am planning on going off grid with the water supply however I have some building work that is going to occur over the next few months.
As mentioned above. A settling tank should also work.

One or two 2 500l water tanks left for 24 hours should allow the iron to settle at the bottom.

The outlet of the water tank is already a few cm from the bottom so the iron should settle there.

For a pool, the bigger the water tank, the better, as you will only be able to fill up 2 500l at a time and wait 24 hours again.

If the tanks are close to the pool you would not need a pump and just let it flow through a pipe to the pool.

signates

Executive Member
That is an option but will take far to long to install the pool and that will become a problem during the installation process. I don't mind some sediment but I want to reduce the amount thereof significantly.
For the initial pool filling you could buy some water or hire a water truck and come fill it from my well. I have more than enough water with no iron content from my well.

jdido87

For the initial pool filling you could buy some water or hire a water truck and come fill it from my well. I have more than enough water with no iron content from my well.
Thank you for the offer, I appreciate it. If I should go the tanker route I will most likely go to my other house as the water from the well point is very clear. You will confuse it for municipal water. Otherwise I have family friends with a farm in the Phillipi Horticultural Area. They have water tankers as well. I was just looking at a solution to use my wellpoint here. Besides irrigation it is one of the reasons I got the wellpoint.