Well point and boreholes in CT

signates

Executive Member
did you tell your neighbour? are they drinking the water without the UV filter?
Not yet. They don't have a UV filter and have been using their water for years without one.

My well could also have been contaminated during the digging and construction phase and not from the ground water in the well.

cbrunsdonza

Honorary Master
Received the biological test results this morning.

Total Bacteria cfu/1ml = 910 (within SANS241 minimum)
Total Coliforms cfu/100ml = 2 420 (above SANS241 minimum)
E. Coli cfu/100ml = 5 (above SANS241 minimum)

Going to get a UV light filter that will sort the biological issues with the water. I don't require any other filters as the chemical analysis all are within SANS241 requirements.
+1

I'm going to also sink a well point this year so this feedback is valuable to me. We suspect we have a leaking waste pipe nearby the house as there is a patch of grass in the park behind is that is always green

Don't want to go through the hell of plans to find out we can't use the water.

But then again I might already have a wellpoint that the previous owner installed. Let me just dig around my backyard. I already discovered paving slabs under 30cm of soil.

Goobie

Expert Member
Received the biological test results this morning.

Total Bacteria cfu/1ml = 910 (within SANS241 minimum)
Total Coliforms cfu/100ml = 2 420 (above SANS241 minimum)
E. Coli cfu/100ml = 5 (above SANS241 minimum)

Going to get a UV light filter that will sort the biological issues with the water. I don't require any other filters as the chemical analysis all are within SANS241 requirements.

How clean was the container used to collect the sample in?

signates

Executive Member
How clean was the container used to collect the sample in?

It was an empty 500ml glass coke bottle that has been standing in the yard for a while. I cleaned it with boiling water before collecting the sample. I also collected the sample from the well after letting the pump run for about 5 minutes. Contamination could have come from the bottle as well.

We are already using the well directly connected to the house since the beginning of March with no adverse affects while we waited for the results. We are 3 adults (40yrs, 41 yrs and 61 yrs) and a 7yr old.

signates

Executive Member
So i have been off the municipal water for a complete billing cycle for the first time and they decide to do an estimate for the first time in more than 2 years.

I normally only enter my electricity reading on the 15th of every month but will also be doing my water meter going forward.

Water meter readings.jpg

signates

Executive Member
Glad I dug the well at the height of the drought. At the time, the water level at the bottom of the well was about 400mm. I checked the level over the weekend and with the recent trains, the water table has increased and the water level is now just over 1m from the bottom of the well. There's just over 1m³ of water at the bottom of the well and my submersible pump cannot pump it lower than half its current volume.

signates

Executive Member
Recent rains has increased the water level further. Water is now close to 1.5m deep. The water is also slightly cloudy now. Decided to get me the big blue 20" 3 stage filtration system. Cost was R3 100.00 at Benbel. Water clarity is better than before. I will be adding a submersible UV light that goes into the water tank instead of an in-line UV light. 20180623_165008.jpg

rh1

What can I expect to pay for a pressure tank. Would like a 100 litre tank. Also in Cape Town (Table View).

signates

Executive Member
I got me one of these smart water meters to monitor my water usage from the well. Going to connect it this weekend if there's a break j n the rain.

http://gaugeit.ontec.co.za

I currently have no idea how much water I'm using and have only used the municipal water for an hour a few weeks ago when I had a power failure.

Next will be to plan some backup power for the pump when there is a power failure.

signates

Executive Member
Couldn't wait and installed the meter now.

ONTEC support is very helpful. The meter is working and will be online for me to monitor on my cell through their website.

Stopcock on the right is the municipal water supply that is turned off. 20180629_175513.jpg

signates

Executive Member
Hourly and daily usage graphs. Easier to track if there are any water leaks.

20180630_090420.jpeg 20180630_090823.jpeg

signates

Executive Member
I got me one of these smart water meters to monitor my water usage from the well. Going to connect it this weekend if there's a break j n the rain.

http://gaugeit.ontec.co.za

I currently have no idea how much water I'm using and have only used the municipal water for an hour a few weeks ago when I had a power failure.

Next will be to plan some backup power for the pump when there is a power failure.
I had an issue with the meter and the physical water meter reading was correct but the website was reporting only half the usage. After some back and forth and replacing the meter, the issue was not resolved. Some troubleshooting later and they identified a design fault.

The water meter is a Honeywell water meter with their own device that picks up electronic pulses from the water meter. These pulses go off at set intervals. I can't remember exactly what this was but it might be 2 pulses for every litre. This is the same water meter that the city uses for their water management devices. Ontec's unit was only reading every second pulse and therefore under reporting the usage.

They fixed the design fault and my usage is now correct on their website. They are also looking at other units already sold and fixing the problem.

I received excellent service from them and they were very keen to get the bottom of this and resolve the problem. They have their own network and the unit sends the data to their website over their network. The city is probably using something similar for their water readings and no longer do physical readings of the meters.