Wesbank offline for days due to hardware failure

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
Wesbank hit by major outage — offline for days

Wesbank clients have complained that they have been unable to access their accounts with the financial service provider for four days.

On social media, the bank announced that it was hit by “technical difficulties” affecting multiple systems.

It said this has impacted debit orders, customer service, and response times.

Wesbank also cancelled an online vehicle that was set to take place on 10 June as a result of the downtime.

gregmcc

Honorary Master
Hardware failures don't last for 4 days. If they have faulty equipment they 'should' have SLA's in place for critical infrastructure with various vendors with a few hours turnaround at most.

Jade @ Absolute Hosting

Absolute Hosting Representative
Company Rep
Hardware failures don't last for 4 days. If they have faulty equipment they 'should' have SLA's in place for critical infrastructure with various vendors with a few hours turnaround at most.
Agreed, and its not like Wesbank to be scrimping on hardware or budget.

Mystic Twilight

Expert Member

Might be a cascade failure, now there is missing data they can't rebuild.

WollieVerstege

Might be a cascade failure, now there is missing data they can't rebuild.
So, I might not have to pay for my car this month is what you are saying. :)
But seriously no DR or backup plans for a company that size?
My wife helped out on a DR exercise with one of the big life insurers a few years ago. They simulated a complete loss of their HQ. Everyone had to go and work in an off site location, somewhere near Paarl. But business operations could continue, although at a reduced volume.

r00igev@@r

Executive Member
Hardware failure taking down something that reports to a regulator for risk and continuity?

d0b33

Honorary Master
Maybe an IT technician over there could not keep up with the payments.

KikzAzz

Fully agree.

I put my money on ransomware. And it being a bank with very sensitive personal information, it is very worrying.

B-1

Expert Member
Fully agree.

I put my money on ransomware. And it being a bank with very sensitive personal information, it is very worrying.

Was just gonna say this :) you can find comparable hardware or stick it on cloud infrastructure as a quick fix if needs be pretty quickly.

Shadrack Kumalo

According to Dr. Heywood Floyd:
Definitely not ransomware.
They have DR.
They have SLA's in place.
New SAN
Firmware bug corrupted production SAN.
Firmware bug corrupted DR.
Restore from backups and apply tran logs on multi TB databases.
SAN vendor very sorry.

Dr. Heywood Floyd once said:
I'm really not at liberty to discuss this

rvZA

Expert Member
Wha ha ha..... Wesbank has been warned some years ago. You do not listen, you cannot act, you pay the price.

RedViking

Nord of the South
That is Absa evert end of the month. :confused:

Well, maybe I am exaggerating a bit, but feels that way, specially when the countdown starts and the app doesn't send a notification. Argh!